France vs. EA

BRODIEMAN2k4

Reaction score
France versus EA

The French Government is about to challenge everything.

January 3, 2005 - According to a report from Yahoo! UK Finance, Ubisoft Entertainment could soon be receiving support from the French government in its bid to combat a takeover from US videogame monolith, Electronic Arts.

Yahoo's article was inspired by a piece that French newspaper La Tribune ran over the Holiday Break. Though the sources for the Tribune item were never disclosed, it claimed that the French government has been watchful of gaming studios based in its country for months. Particularly in terms of how likely they are for a takeover. Ubisoft owns almost 20 of these studios and the heads for most of them are said to be very weary of a potential EA buyout. The reason? An EA takeover would supposedly mark the end of French-based decisions in the videogame industry.

Ubisoft officials have gone on record by saying that it has not had talks with EA "at present" about its 19.9 percent purchase of its capital. Furthermore, it was said, "In light of recent news spread by the press, Ubisoft's board of directors reiterates that, in the absence of information from Electronic Arts regarding its intentions, the latter's acquisition of the group's capital is unsolicited and currently considered hostile. Moreover, there are no negotiations between the two parties at present."

Newspaper Les Echos reported on December 29 that Ubisoft would gather some of its largest shareholders later this week in an effort to convince them not to give support to Electronic Arts. Furthermore, Ubisoft is considering various options to defend itself should the need arise. Increasing the holding of the Guillemot family, for instance, is among one of its chief tactics. As the Guillemot's have 17.5% of the shares and 26.6% of the voting rights.

We'll keep you updated as thing obviously huge story continues to develop.

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/576/576530p1.html

I never thought i'd say this, but go france :dork:

I've been telling people that France really isn't that bad...

Im rooting for France on this one.

This is why if I have owned a gaming company I would keep it private company

Well I'm glad they are fighting EA, but this is not that good, cause this kind of protectionism by the french government is really unfair, those bastards(Air Frans) took over KLM but if we were to try to take over air france they would stop it, French bastards.

Eg. said:
ahh but napolean wasnt french

he was born in Corsica. he won each victory in the name of france and became the french emperor for a time. i'm pretty sure the majority of soldiers who fought in his armies were french nevertheless.

Prince of China said:
Holy shit, EA and France!
Is this like World War III?

It'd be WWIII if it was Microsoft v France.
This is more like The Franco-Prusian War:Short,Pointless,Could elad to something much worse.

why you all hav a hate to france?

I never travelled to france but I dont see nothing bad on it

also in france are very good music groups like Daft Punk

so GO FRANCE!

Maybe France saw something of the Nazi's in EA? In which case they'd be right!

Dedalus said:
he was born in Corsica. he won each victory in the name of france and became the french emperor for a time. i'm pretty sure the majority of soldiers who fought in his armies were french nevertheless.

see france never won, corsica did

how can ea be nazis? that would mean they are well managed and highly efficient, which they are not

**** you EA **** YOU **** YOU ****

**** I HATE YOU EA !**** EA!!!!

Eg. said:
see france never won, corsica did

how can ea be nazis? that would mean they are well managed and highly efficient, which they are not

Please, go FU(k yourself.

You don-t have a minor idea about French history or what so ever. You have been intoxicated by the US media, and you are problably a 13 year old CS player. When you start getting hair into your balls, please, feel free to come back.

Sincerely

Adrien C

17, hahahahah

and i still say, the french never won any military vivtories, the foreign legion did, but they werent french

oh my, I-m younger than you and smarter, incredible.
Please, before you post away any more stuff, read a little, and most of the foreing legion is French. Please read. ok ?

<RJMC> said:
why you all hav a hate to france?

I never travelled to france but I dont see nothing bad on it

also in france are very good music groups like Daft Punk

so GO FRANCE!

I Have nothing against france. Seems like it would be an interesting place to visit. I would love to just spend my entire time just eating though because according to my mom some of the restaurants are awsome. Hell I have already visited 7 other countries, all where great places. Some people just dont like to try new things. I wanna go back to Ireland and golf and bike this summer. Just need the money. ;( Ireland was awsome. Im not into soccer that much but last time I was in Ireland there was that big soccer final and the smoking law got passed so that you couldnt smoke in pubs.

I don't have anything against France, I just didn't like my French 8 classes. On T.V., mostly on American channels, there are all sorts of French stereotypes and talks about France hating the U.S. and vice versa. I may see why Eg. is saying all this stuff. He probably has been brainwashed.

bliink said:
viva le ubisoft! :p

hah!
i like that :)
yeah...anything to stop EA from spreading its disease over the rest of the gaming industry.. :p

How in the hell has this thread degenerated into posts ranting against the US and the media?

Keep on topic. Rant against EA, we can all dislike them as one world body <3

I guess I can say, Vive lé resistance!

I want them both to lose! That's not possible, but I want it! :-P

Heh, I really question the logic of legally allowing hostile takeovers. Admittedly they're possible to block with careful share management (which is, to some degree, illegal if you control them too forcibly, as you could engineer them in such a way to screw investors while maintaining a grip on the bulk of your stock). Gah, I'm talking about it as if its a scissors-stones-and-paper scenario in an RTS. Look's like EA's Generals really did contain subliminal messag- DEATH TO FRANCE. Excuse me.

I hope Ubisoft make it out in one piece. Go France!

lets think about
a american videogame company <EA> (right?) is taking control of a french company <Ubisoft> and the goverment of France is suporting ubisoft to not be taked by EA <the american company> and lets say that the USA goverment start to suport EA and now this become in something political and USA atacks France and France atacks USA.....OMG it will be a wwIII!!!!1

it cant be WWIII, that would mean there would be fighting, the french never put up a good fight

the french foriegn legion won victories because they were composed of non-french troops (WWI=americans)

and this is showing europes disdain for american compainies, they keep trying to bar them from doing buissness. they sued MS last year

Eg. said:
and this is showing europes disdain for american compainies, they keep trying to bar them from doing buissness. they sued MS last year

We gave them 500 million euros in fines a few weeks ago for abusing their monopoly of the OS market.

Eg. said:
it cant be WWIII, that would mean there would be fighting, the french never put up a good fight

the french foriegn legion won victories because they were composed of non-french troops (WWI=americans)

In WWI, the French fought and survived the Battle of Verdun, the "Greatest battle ever" in which 2 million men were engaged. Practically the whole German army fell upon a salient in the French line, hoping to "Bleed the French white", due to the fact that this fort was a key strategic and historical site, the entire French army fought there at one point or another in the prolonged battle.
It was a battle of attrition that lasted from February to July 1916, and cost over 600,000 lives in all.

Considering that the whole nation's army was put into this battle (most of whom considered it a 'suicide mission') I would term it a "good fight", and possibly one of the reasons (note that the French were the first to have poison gas used against them) that would dissuade them from fighting during the Second world war.

Yup, Verdun was pretty gnarly.

To those questioning France's military record, grow up. There are more important things in life than how big your guns are.

so fine them 500 million for making a product that works, and since no european can make a better os, u fine them. linux anyone, oh wait that would mean using a ANOTHER american product, or macs? so their punishing MS because people are to lazy to buy other stuff?

<RJMC> said:
lets think about
a american videogame company <EA> (right?) is taking control of a french company <Ubisoft> and the goverment of France is suporting ubisoft to not be taked by EA <the american company> and lets say that the USA goverment start to suport EA and now this become in something political and USA atacks France and France atacks USA.....OMG it will be a wwIII!!!!1

And lets just say for a moment you knew how to spell.

But some things just never happen do they?

Back