Full Width Temporary Fix *Poll Added*

Do you use this fix?

• Total voters

Vegeta897

Banned as all ****
Reaction score
Hi I'm vegeta this is a video:

Instructions:

1. Get Stylebot for Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/oiaejidbmkiecgbjeifoejpgmdaleoha
2. Click this (right side of your omni bar) while on any valvetime.net page:
qQZqB.jpg

3. Click
os8y3.jpg

4. Paste this code in there: http://pastebin.com/5K2D7uyr
5. Click
4t2i0.jpg

And now your viewing experience should be similar to the one seen in the video.

One of the 'design decisions' I made was to get rid of the header. I found it utterly useless and it was too damn big to begin with. Usability 101.

This isn't intended to be an official fix as the vt.net tech team is still making changes to the site and will perhaps make their own full width theme, or at the very least break some of the things my modification does.

Please post any problems or bugs with this layout if you find any, and check back with the thread for any updates I make.

Thanks.

UPDATE! Add the following code to fix youtube player controls:

#video-player-flash {
width: 500px;
}

And I've also added this bit to make the forum names stand out more in the What's New thread list:

a.forumLink {
text-decoration: underline;
}

By default all that text just kind of runs together and it's hard to easily see what forum section the thread is in.

UPDATE 2! Add the following code to fix the position of the alerts bubble in the top right if you have the header disabled:

#AlertsMenu_Counter {
top: 28px;
}

#AlertsMenu_Counter .arrow {
right: 8px;
top: -3px;
-moz-transform: scaleY(-1);
-o-transform: scaleY(-1);
-webkit-transform: scaleY(-1);
transform: scaleY(-1);
filter: FlipV;
-ms-filter: "FlipV";
}

Vegeta, this is really useful thank you.

We'll look at this further.

Do you not think that the fluid width makes the content pages on the front page of the website look crap? This was part of the concern.

Would it be better to have fixed width on the front pages, full on the forum? Or just the choice of one or the other?

Would it be better to have fixed width on the front pages, full on the forum? Or just the choice of one or the other?

I think the mixture looks bad, personally.

Once I get the bugs ironed out of the default skin, I'll make a subskin of it that's a fluid version, since there seems to be a large demand for it.

I think full width is nicer , personally :)

*waves at Chris from a different thread

UPDATE! Add the following code to fix youtube player controls:

#video-player-flash {
width: 500px;
}

And I've also added this bit to make the forum names stand out more in the What's New thread list:

a.forumLink {
text-decoration: underline;
}

By default all that text just kind of runs together and it's hard to easily see what forum section the thread is in.

The read links are still a bit hard to differentiate from new ones, but there's probably no way around that without a change to the color scheme. All we need is a removal of the avatars next to posted threads and I think I'll no longer complain about anything.

Hmm, we may have made an executive decision to keep the avatars next to threads. We've swayed between having it and not and ultimately it grew on us. If you still don't like it in a week then PM us, but also, it's important to note that no one else has really expressed their dislike for it yet.

I still don't "love" having them there, but I don't dislike it enough to force their removal on everyone else. I'd be more than happy to remove them if that's what The Masses prefer.

One feature of it that I really like now is that your avatar is shown in the bottom right hand corner of the thread author's avatar if you've posted within that thread. Helps me identify where I've posted previously.

Well, it should be possible to keep that, and still change the Thread Creator's Avatar to be a "New" / "No New" posts icon. I'm pretty sure that's how vBulletin does it by default.

Well, it should be possible to keep that, and still change the Thread Creator's Avatar to be a "New" / "No New" posts icon. I'm pretty sure that's how vBulletin does it by default.
This would be absolutely perfect. And I do like the reminder that I have posted in the thread by seeing my avatar in the corner. My problem is that I sometimes click on the box and go to the profile page of who ever originally made the post. Not to mention the avatars are a little distracting; they have nothing to do with the posts other than announce who created it in a visual form. It's like an irrelevant thumbnail.

Here's a comparison that I threw together quickly in Photoshop, between how it is now, and how I would make it. I know that a lot of people aren't to fond of the actual Valve Icons, so ignore those for the moment. It would work such that clicking on those would take you to the latest posts.

ThreadsOld.png
ThreadsNew.png

Sorry! I still prefer how it is now.

I don't really mind the avatars. It sorta breaks up the visual monotony between entries, almost making it easier to pick out threads you're interested in after you've seen them enough and your brain remembers which avatars go with which threads you like.

Maybe we should move this discussion out of my thread and into one of the other 'official' VT feedback threads?

The read links are still a bit hard to differentiate from new ones, but there's probably no way around that without a change to the color scheme
I can easily change this with a css rule, but I haven't gotten around to much cosmetic stuff because they're still changing things and it might be pointless.

UPDATE 2!

ceeDD.png

Add the following code to fix the position of the alerts bubble in the top right if you have the header disabled:

#AlertsMenu_Counter {
top: 28px;
}

#AlertsMenu_Counter .arrow {
right: 8px;
top: -3px;
-moz-transform: scaleY(-1);
-o-transform: scaleY(-1);
-webkit-transform: scaleY(-1);
transform: scaleY(-1);
filter: FlipV;
-ms-filter: "FlipV";
}

No I don't because I don't know if this would work with firefox. So I'm waiting for an actual forum option.

The CSS itself should work fine in Firefox, but you need to find a plugin for FF that lets you use custom CSS code.

I think Firebug does this but I've never used it.

The "Official Widescreen Option" should be coming sometime tomorrow.

Back