Gabe Newell and Michael Abrash want you to back the Oculus Rift

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
The Oculus Rift is a new virtual reality headset that many industry veterans are getting very excited about. A video on its Kickstarter page features the likes of John Carmack, Cliffy B and Valve's own Gabe Newell and Michael Abrash promoting the product. Of all the people working in Valve the device may be of particular interest to Michael as he is currently programming for Valve's wearable computing R&D project which includes augmented reality glasses.

rift-jpg.23697

The kickstarter has already broken the million dollar mark, four times its original goal, and with this kind of support from major developers across the industry, its clear the Rift will go far. A quote from Michael said he was "...really looking forward to getting a chance to program with it and see what we can do.” Gabe also had this to say, "It looks incredibly exciting, if anybody’s going to tackle this set of hard problems, we think that Palmer’s going to do it. So we’d strongly encourage you to support this Kickstarter.”

Also of note is a possible new version of the replica Portal Gun (that always sell out at the Valve store as soon as they're put on sale) in the background of the video behind Gabe and Michael. The model features a Potato GLaDOS attached to front of the gun. Something to keep an eye out for.

You can find and back the Kickstarter here as well as check out the replica Portal gun in the promotion video.

Attachments

• Rift.jpg
    Rift.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 5,506
I can see a lot of benefits and a lot of problems with this technology.

But it's great to see this outpour of support from so many people.

VR always used to be something that I thought of as the future of gaming. It's exciting that there's a viable product that's in the works for consumers. Looks cool!

The Oculus Rift is a new virtual reality headset that many industry veterans are getting very excited about.
So excited that they aren't willing to find an actual company to invest in their product and instead are asking for money on the internet!

/obligatory kickstarter bashing post

I heard that VR sets never took off because they caused optical damage... is this true? What's the status of these things?

"Gabe Newell? John Carmack? Michael Abrash? I'm getting excit-.."

Cliffy B.

"Eh."

So excited that they aren't willing to find an actual company to invest in their product and instead are asking for money on the internet!

/obligatory kickstarter bashing post
The main purpose of the Kickstarter is to get word out and sell the developer kits. They already have a lot of money.

The main purpose of the Kickstarter is to get word out and sell the developer kits. They already have a lot of money.
Right, of course. I forgot you couldn't do those things without Kickstarter. And a million dollars is like chump change, they don't really need it.

Right, of course. I forgot you couldn't do those things without Kickstarter. And a million dollars is like chump change, they don't really need it.
Ah Vegeta, where would I be without you deliberately misunderstanding me?

I understand that Kickstarter is all the rage now, and that it's no dumb decision for them to be using it.

But that doesn't mean I can't disapprove.

I don't understand how the eyes are meant to cope. I have to hold my hand 15cm from my eyes before focusing is comfortable. How are the eyes meant to focus on a screen so close to them? If you're displaying a steroscopic image, is there some way of tricking the eye into thinking it's looking at something further away that won't damage it?

I don't understand how the eyes are meant to cope. I have to hold my hand 15cm from my eyes before focusing is comfortable. How are the eyes meant to focus on a screen so close to them? If you're displaying a steroscopic image, is there some way of tricking the eye into thinking it's looking at something further away that won't damage it?
Mirrors 'n' shit bro. I don't actually know how they're doing it here, but yeah there are ways to make your eye think things are further away or in a different place where they are with mirrors and lenses.

Now we need to combine it with a multiroller floor so you will actualy run/aim/shootand work on your condition when your gaming :D

Back