Gabe Newell in Australia

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
After asking the community to help him with The Fly Gabe Newell Fundraiser, Joe W-A managed to get Gabe Newell to agree to fly to Brisbane, Australia.[br]

Today in Sydney, the great meeting took place. Gabe spoke about the value of a community and how it flies people to Australia, He was also talking about how Valve are part of the community and how they're always looking for feedback.[br]

Joe is also planning to get Peter Molyneaux down there as he got "a few things to say to him". You can watch the meeting right here.

I hope everyone sees how much Gabe Newell cares about the gaming community and his customers. Truly a great company with great leadership and direction.

I <3 Gabe Newell & Valve

LOL Joe looks bit shy/nervous. I was expecting Gabe to hit him with a crowbar. I wonder if they're going to publish "Gamer Created Content.PDF".

I remember back in the old days, when this sort of news happen, 100s of comments are posted in less than an hour.

Now, 2 posts after few hours.

this tells you, no body cares anymore. Just bring out a quality product on time and move on.

I think it would be amazing if Joe was picked up by Valve, but really its just a nice sap story.

I remember back in the old days, when this sort of news happen, 100s of comments are posted in less than an hour.

this tells you, no body cares anymore. Just bring out a quality product on time and move on.
Yeah this most definitely. Hl2.net members would act as community "spies" and visit Valve and come out with cool stuff. Anybody remember the whiteboard photo and finding the vital website from that? Valve needs Source 2 and HL3 IMO. :cool:

Anyways great job Joe!

Yeah this most definitely. Hl2.net members would act as community "spies" and visit Valve and come out with cool stuff. Anybody remember the whiteboard photo and finding the vital website from that? Valve needs Source 2 and HL3 IMO. :cool:

Anyways great job Joe!
What the hell do you expect for "Source 2"?

Look at EP2 vs HL2. There's Source 2.

Damnit, I could have gone to this if I had remembered.

Gabe Newell > 3 hour tax lecture. :(

and 10 years later, when you're begging on the street with your tatty cardboard sign saying "I MET GABE NEWELL PLZ GIV ME MONEYZ" then you might just regret that decision!

So, instead, in 10 years time, I'll be a 9-5 office drone.

Hm, tough choice.

Joe is going to go to my TAFE :p:p

Robin walker and a few other people went to my TAFE aswell

No it is not. It's a vastly improved 2004 graphic engine. Many games look and perform better than Source. Source 2 would be a major leap like when we saw with HL2:[/url]

Source is just a vastly improved 1996 engine.

No it is not. It's a vastly improved 2004 graphic engine. Many games look and perform better than Source. Source 2 would be a major leap like when we saw with HL2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQUlgN008o

Honestly I think it comes down to the hardware surveys Valve conducts. Why upgrade/create your engine that only a small % of customers can take full advantage of. Valve has always been about quality in their product. High performance video cards are getting very affordable now even for the casual gamer. You just gotta look at the majority of your customer base and if their hardware can handle the engine upgrades when they come out. Valve built the Source engine to be upgradable as technology advances and while it's getting there it's not quite there yet where even the casual gamer can play games at max resolutions and settings with no problems.

No it is not. It's a vastly improved 2004 graphic engine. Many games look and perform better than Source. Source 2 would be a major leap like when we saw with HL2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSQUlgN008o

True and most of those games have insane system requirements or make the game look brown and plastic. I have yet to see a game with better character animations than Source. I've been playing Mass Effect and all i could think was what could have been if they had used Sources animations instead.
What is it with your obsession on having Source 2? Source is still holding it's own against the newer engines and the only thing holding it back is Valve's reluctance to use it to the max for example they still use low resolution textures despite Source being able to handle better.

Back on topic!

This is really cool, I bet Joe cant believe how far this whole thing went!

This. I kinda watched the video posted and came to this thread expecting there'd be more posts, but nobody really cares. I don't even really care :(. Seems like after 5+ years everybody just got old, or bored. le sigh...

I think Gabe Newell is Robin Williams in disguise.

Back