Game of the Year?

Game of the Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Mass Effect. You guys only say Orange Box because it's biased here, but there were other better games. No way MAss Effect won't get at least runner up.

If I enjoy a game more than another then I will vote for it. If The Orange Box was made by another company, had nothing to do with HL and only included TF2 + Portal then I would still vote for it. Im guessing that the biased voters are a minority here.

Bioshock constantly stunned me at EVERY sitting. The story. The variation. The graphics. The sound. Just everything about it was epic.
Except the gameplay, which was uncomfortably similar (read same) as System Shock 2, with a little HL2 type combat thrown in.

That doesn't stop it from being my choice for GOTY, though. :p
Second choice would be the Orange Box (it loses points for it's length).
Third choice is Super Mario Galaxy, simply based on the videos I've seen.

(Halo 3 can suck my humongous, manly rooster)

Oh for christs sake, read the poll. Let's NOT ruin this with pointless Halo bashing.

It's nice that for once there's a decent selection of games that could be considered for goty. In recent years we haven't had many options at all.

I would vote for orange box, but that really isn't fair as it's 5 games.

CoD4, certainly. The SP has a good storyline, there is a lot of nice stuff thrown in the SP for replayability, genuinely hard on highest difficult, etc.

And its MP is ace. One of the most customizable out-of-the-box MP games I've ever played. Once people get over the ranking system, it'll be even better. My favorite server plans to go to true hardcore mode, removing hit blips and obituaries along with the scoreboard until end of round if possible I think. How many games can change their gameplay as much as CoD4 without mods?

They're providing solid support so far. Two and a half minor patches released already, and a larger one on the way.

Don't people take games at face value anymore? I couldn't give a damn what Bioshock was or wasn't - when I played it, I was impressed from start to finish and my gut feeling tells me I enjoyed it immensly, more so than the other games in that list.

**** putting a game down because of some back room reason that doesn't matter. I play to be entertained through and through, and I got that from all the games I mentioned, and theres nothing else I take into consideration except for 'this game gave me 9/10 enjoyment' (HL2: EP2) and 'this game gave me 10/10 enjoyment' (Bioshock), etc.

It's nice that for once there's a decent selection of games that could be considered for goty. In recent years we haven't had many options at all.

Yeah, QFT. I voted Bioshock, because it was incredible, apart from the frankly bemusing NPC-protection section and the subsequent ending(s). It's damn close for me, though, because the OB had Portal, which was in my view as close to a perfect game as you can get.

Portal + Episode 2 + Team Fortress 2 = ABSOLUTE ****ING AWESOME.

Actually, change the ratings.

RPGotY: Witcher
FPSGotY: Episode 2
MPGotY: Team Fortress 2

Add other categories at your convenience.

It's not a standard RPG, but I'd say Bioshock beats out The Witcher for the RPG slot.

RPG GOTY: Bioshock, Mass Effect possibly, but I haven't played it.
SP FPS GOTY: CoD4/Bioshock/Ep2, fairly close.
MP FPS GOTY: Close call between TF2 or CoD4. I'd have to go with CoD4, however.
RTS GOTY: Haven't played one this year. The CoH expansion, perhaps?
MMO GOTY: WoW Burning Crusade (Came out in mid-Jan)
Tech Demo GOTY: Crysis

It's not a standard RPG, but I'd say Bioshock beats out The Witcher for the RPG slot.

RPG GOTY: Bioshock, Mass Effect possibly, but I haven't played it.
SP FPS GOTY: CoD4/Bioshock/Ep2, fairly close.
MP FPS GOTY: Close call between TF2 or CoD4. I'd have to go with CoD4, however.
RTS GOTY: Haven't played one this year. The CoH expansion, perhaps?
MMO GOTY: WoW Burning Crusade (Came out in mid-Jan)
Tech Demo GOTY: Crysis

Bioshock? An RPG?

Sorry, but I have to say you're... mistaking genres. A linear shooter with choosable augmentations is not an RPG. Bioshock is, at best, an FPS with a single RPG element, weakly implemented.

Really close between the Orange Box, and Bioshock, but the Orange Box kept me coming back for more, while I havent replayed Bioshock in a long time.

I will vote after finishing Mass Effect. So far i want to vote for it, but Orange Box out does pretty much everything with a close BioShock... To many good things. Lets see if Mass Effect kills all.

oh ya and there was COD4..

Bioshock for the single player experience
Team Fortress 2 for multiplayer

...although i haven't played Super Mario Galaxy yet
plus it's just so hard to name one title, game of the year

Is it sad that I've played none of those, and I've only played Halo 3 for about 5 minutes, and that I have a 360, too?

I feel so sad... :(

It's kind of unfair to put Orange Box up there, but I voted for it anyway.

CoD4 just gets it from the OB for me, just more of what I want in a game I guess :p

Bioshock was great once through up until the big reveal....then slowly gets meh. Can't see myself playing it again.

Tough pick.

Gotta be Bioshock. Such masterful atmosphere and storytelling I doubt we'll be seeing again anytime soon. The gameplay, while not challenging in a traditional sense (ie - no death), was still intense and varied enough to stay interesting from start to finish, and maybe then some.

Runners-up:

Mario Galaxy - For pure perfection, basically. Absolutely nails everything that's fun and imaginitive about gaming while still being incredibly innovative. The only reason I didn't pick it was personal preference (but then I haven't even finished it yet).

Orange Box - For value moreso than anything else. That said Ep 2 and Portal were incredible on their own, but I may be the one in a million who didn't get a kick out of TF2 (being absolute shitehouse at it doesn't help).

Call of Duty 4 - If it were up to multiplayer only, this would be a clear winner. As it is, the single player is a bit too similar to the previous titles to give it all due credit, even though it's easily the best of the lot.

Besides that, there's Mass Effect, which is great but flawed, and Halo 3, which I felt was a good sequel first and a good game second.

Such a great year for gaming. After I get Assassin's Creed I'll probably be set right through till next year. :)

Portal gets my game of the year vote... it doesn't even need TF2 and Episode 2 with it!

As far as Mario Galaxy goes... it was good, I got all 120 stars, but I guess it never really drew me in or struck me as that amazing. I think the purple coin collecting dropped it down a few notches for me as it really accentuated the game's control and camera flaws. Still, an honorable mention.

Other honorable mentions go to Team Fortress 2, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, Bioshock, Metroid Prime 3, Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, and Unreal Tournament 3.

I still haven't voted... :/

Although Portal is my winner by a margin I feel like I'm cheating, awarding such a small game GotY.

Bioshock was one of my most played games this year and I thoroughly enjoyed it; Mario is fantastic on all counts; Mass Effect is simply a new mark in story telling and charcter interaction; Assassins Creed is an exciting and cool as **** game..... bah.

This is hard. ;(

As far as honourable mentions go, I'm giving Crackdown a nod. I've played it a lot and really enjoyed it.

CoD4 for me, simply because no game has ever handled a boss battle in that way before.

Call of Juarez did something similar.

I really enjoyed Bioshock up until the big reveal. The game afterwards felt less atmospheric and, story-wise, very thin. In terms of its gameplay, I don't feel that Bioshock excelled from the start, and particularly not after the point which I mentioned.

Metroid Prime 3 had solid gameplay, but there were a number of things which let it down. For one, it had just about the least motivating storyline ever and an absolutely terrible ending (and I got the two special endings). Only one of its bosses was memorable (the fight against Ridley early in the game), and almost every boss had the same jump-shockwave attack. That said, there was one boss which was so intense that my left eye started watering due to me not blinking during the fight. The music was disappointing, especially for a Metroid game. The exploration was less involving than previous games due largely to a stifling hint system and less engaging environments. Hypermode decreased the importance on mobility in combat, allowing you to simply blast your enemies, making most engagements rather dull. Some of the motion controls (especially the grapple lasso) felt gimmicky, and achievement notices frequently disrupted the game's atmosphere.

Call of Duty 4 did interesting things with its admittedly standard storyline (and used perspective changes well, I thought), but I couldn't help but feel that what innovation there was was countered by repetition and uninspired gameplay elsewhere. I haven't played the MP so I cannot comment on that.

I haven't got the Orange Box or Super Mario Galaxy yet, and I am eagerly awaiting both. I also want to see how UT3 turns out. Crysis can wait until I get a rig powerful enough to play it as it was meant to be played.

I'm honestly not sure.

Orange Box is the best thing i've ever bought when it comes to value. Can't beat five top quality games for $50 bucks aussie.

Call Of Duty 4 was surprisingly awesome, but it was really short and now i have no inclination to play it again after beating it twice.

Bioshock was pretty damn awesome, but felt too much like a clone of System Shock 2 with the scares ripped out.

Mass Effect wasn't as good as the KOTOR games.

Crysis was Far Cry 1.5 and crashed way too often.

Haven't played Super Mario Galaxy yet but that looks insane and i'm getting it for christmas.

The Orange Box. But I haven't played SMG yet which from the sound of it could very well steal first place.

Orange Box, but CoD 4 and Mass Effect (even though I have yet to play it, but I know it will be frickin awsome) in close second.

1.Super Mario Galaxy
2.Bioshock
3.The Witcher
4.CoD 4
5.Orange Box
6.Crysis

I only picked Orange Box (specifically Portal and ep.2) because among such a poor turnout of over-hyped plastic Made-in-Taiwan games this year, it shone. STALKER was my most anticipated but most disappointing release and thus only ranks as ok, even though it is still my most memorable gaming experience of '07.
Who knows, maybe next year somebody will finish a game before releasing it.

I only picked Orange Box (specifically Portal and ep.2) because among such a poor turnout of over-hyped plastic Made-in-Taiwan games this year, it shone. STALKER was my most anticipated but most disappointing release and thus only ranks as ok, even though it is still my most memorable gaming experience of '07.
Who knows, maybe next year somebody will finish a game before releasing it.

So, you didn't play any of them?
Hmmmm?

Bioshock, I can't truthfully give my nomination to anything else. The game had me hooked from beginning to end and featured a storyline unlike any I've experienced in a game.

Orange Box had my vote until I played CoD4...

Although I've played CoD4 a lot more and enjoying it loads, Orange Box, with a creative and new game like TF2 + Portal, then an epic Episode 2 - really is amazing and deserves GOTY. There is so much creativity and soul to the Orange Box.

Back