Games need to start using this tech.

Interesting to say the least.

Ah yeah the matchstick thing, it's pretty awesome if you shut your eyes.

o wow lol that sounded great!!!!

edit: i didnt even feel like i was wearing headphones the whole time.

That was crazy. Try shutting your eyes and listening, it's pretty trippy.

It gets freaky half-way through when it sounds like it goes down your back. Weird.

I didnt know this was anything new D: sounds cool though

I didnt know this was anything new D: sounds cool though

Yeah the question is though why don't games use this kind of 3D audio?

In the demo the sound goes down and almost lands at your feet.

Imagine spent shell casing clattering on the ground realistically below you.

Games have great stero sound horizontally, but this demo is impressive because of the vertical component.

Wow, that was hella awesome, the sound is like it's going above and below you at one point, blew my mind

Well, directional sound is used a bit in games. I remember chasing Dampé and the Deku in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask respectivly and I kept loosing sight of them but I could always hear them on the left or right.

Well, directional sound is used a bit in games. I remember chasing Dampé and the Deku in Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask respectivly and I kept loosing sight of them but I could always hear them on the left or right.

Yeah, left and right.

But up and down?

Whoa... o.0

Closing your eyes really does make it seem like someone's shaking them all around your head.

That was damn cool. My gut reaction was to reach in the exact direction of the sound. And it always felt as if I was pointing in the exact direction of the object, even with my eyes closed.

If games had the option to have sound like that, I would wear earphones all the time.

Yeah, oldie but goodie. I'm pretty sure this will be used in games a few years from now. Would be fantastic for FPS games and horror games...

Yeah, oldie but goodie. I'm pretty sure this will be used in games a few years from now. Would be fantastic for FPS games and horror games...
ya rly. Imagine Doom 3 or F.E.A.R. with this technology... :eek:

Well it's not in games yet primarily because it's really hard to do. Secondly it requires a fair ammount of processing. But the new X-Fi cards from Creative support this with mp3 files. I've heard it myself. I'm not sure if it works in games too.

That was awesome.

I felt like something was going to hit my arm when the sound started to go down

It can work if the hardware has the processing power and games code it in. This will also depend on your sound system/headphones. Movies currently have it with Dolby, but the directional sounds are pre-programmed since they know what happens already.

Old but still love it.
Makes the hairs on ym neck stand on end, really feels like someone is standing behind you shaking a match box. Would really work great for a psychological horror game, with you tied up and some mad man walking round you.

*listens to it again*

That was pretty freaking awesome. Listening to it made me start to giggle and get kind of freaked out. My ears told me there was somebody there, my mind told me no. The two arguing between each other made me very confused.

Far OUT that's trippy. I can totally imagine this in something like Call of Duty. I find I rely on sound alot in that game when everyone's sneaking around and you have to listen out for single footsteps, and I can usually pick the direction fairly accurately... but this would be insane. Being able to judge the DISTANCE of the sound aswell, and not just by the volume, that's crazy. And the above/below thing is awesome... whoever said about hearing shells drop below you, that would be the NUTS.

Gotta play this to my friend who thinks 3D sound can't be recreated in headphones :D

Makes the hairs on ym neck stand on end, really feels like someone is standing behind you shaking a match box. Would really work great for a psychological horror game, with you tied up and some mad man walking round you.
Jesus, I can even imagine getting the shit scared out of me by that... if/when this is realised in games, it could mean a whole new level of immersion :O

DAMNIT! And my headphones just decide to stop working last month! SON OF A BITCH.

EDIT: Found a working pair but without volume adjustment, so I have to adjut windows volume which is lame.

But wow, that was neat!

*walks around Raziaar shaking a matchbox*

Isn't it just eeeerie? Hey, I said don't open your eyes.

... *slowly unzips*

It's pretty cool how they do it actually...

Basically they take a mold of a human head, and stick two microphones, one into the ears, so they are inside the head of the dummy (so it's like they are your ear drums).

Then you just start recording and the sound goes perfectly around and bends around your head like it should... Headphones just simulate where the sounds originally came from.

It's really neat stuff, but I'm not sure when the next big "sound tech boom" is going to happen... I'm sure everyone will just stick to the system we have now and just improve on that until a time comes where the sound engineers find that they can have a leap.

Oh, and also this style of sound recordings have been used literally since the 1800's or so, but never took off. It's on Wikipedia somewhere.

Incredibly awesome, no idea this was possible. Makes sense though.

The Creative X-Fi does it to an extent. It's actually helped a lot in games for me. It's got fairly good 3D sound.

Well it's not in games yet primarily because it's really hard to do. Secondly it requires a fair ammount of processing. But the new X-Fi cards from Creative support this with mp3 files. I've heard it myself. I'm not sure if it works in games too.

Actully, I'm fairly sure it doesn't require that much processing at its most basic level. Doing it with some sounds would be very easy. After all, you just need to make the sound holophonic.

However, if you want holophonic sound as part of the game engine it's be a little harder.

But theres nothing to say you can't put holophonic sound files in games for certain events.

However, the amount of people who'd play with headphones is fairly small, so there isn't much point.

Gah, isn't working! Can one of you PM me a direct downloadable link to it or something? Thanks.

Crap, that matchbox one is SCARY.

Hm, if this was implemented into AvP2... :O... commence even more pants-shitting.

Awesome. Horror games really need this kind of sound. It would add so much to the experience. :D

Back