Gaming Monitor

ShinRa

Companion Cube
Reaction score
I think I'm single-handedly keeping the hardware section of this forum alive.

I need a new monitor....I think. My current LG LCD 23" is 4 years old. First off, have monitors changed at all in terms of gaming in the last 4 years? Second of all, whats the best monitor to put my GTX680 4GB to use? Should I be in the 27" world now?

No I dont want to do a dual monitor set up, that split in the middle would drive me mad, I don't know how people do it.

Thanks nerds!

The only things I learned when monitor shopping this time around is that IPS is now fast enough that some of them support gaming (if you care about color quality), and you'll be paying a premium to get a non 16:9 ratio if you want more vertical pixelage. I recently bought 16:10 because programming.

Thats double the price!!! Looks pretty though. 6ms vs 2ms though (would i even notice?) And 16:10 is the new aspect ration huh? Does it have any compatibility issues with older games? (ie distortion, black lines, etc)

Most all games that I've played that support 16:9 also support 16:10. It's not really new, it's just that 16:9 is all people know about because OMG FULL HD 1080p has been marketed to death.

16:10 is better for everything. And no you wouldn't notice the difference in those response times. The price differential is due to the fact that it's an IPS screen. There are also few 1200p monitors (1920x1200 resolution) so this is a real goldmine for the price.

Again with the 16:9, well if you insist it's your decision (btw a 16:10 would be 2560x1600). H-IPS is better (S-IPS being ok and P-IPS being best), but unless you're a big time graphic designer, any IPS is good really. I'd probably pick a different monitor simply because I've never heard of that company before, and you're spending a shitload of money.

Is the one you recommended P-IPS Deathmaster? Because now OBVIOUSLY I HAVE to get the best...

Again with the 16:9, well if you insist it's your decision (btw a 16:10 would be 2560x1600). H-IPS is better (S-IPS being ok and P-IPS being best), but unless you're a big time graphic designer, any IPS is good really. I'd probably pick a different monitor simply because I've never heard of that company before, and you're spending a shitload of money.
2560x1600 monitors cost between one and three thousand dollars, so... no.

I've heard of them before, and recall them being considered fairly reputable. Its got a three year warranty, their website has a lot of actual information on it so its not some shady company. I've heard that their call center is in California and they answer the phones personally (no machine at all) and respond to emails promptly. Apparently the IPS panels they use are from Samsung, so they're undoubtedly of good quality. I like this monitor though because it doesn't come with any features like USB Ports or speakers that I will never use, and therefore the price is cheaper as I'm only paying for the thing I actually want (the screen).

Math fail. 2560x1600 is 1,792,000 more pixels than 1920x1200.
I did fail at math, but not that way. I was comparing it to the 2560x1440 monitor I was looking at before in this thread.

However, I did mess up, as its only $100 more for 409,600 pixels, not $200. I blame the fact that it was 1:30 am.

Back