GC2007 \\ Spore Trailer

perhaps GDC?

I hadn't seen that one before but nothing too new in it.

I'm slightly more impressed from this video, but still they've greatley dumbed down the game :x

Things I noticed:
-no more blood or ragdolls, no more blended animations either. This was in my opinion the coolest part of the creature mode, and they completley removed it in favor of "hitpoints" and stupid, incredibly lame flashes of light.

-Planes no longer fly continuously or make sortie or bombing runs, as was noted in the first movie. Now they just sit still and wait for orders, which really bothers me.

-Cell mode looks inhumanly lame.

-There is waaaaaaaaaaay too much interface now.

-no more blood or ragdolls, no more blended animations either. This was in my opinion the coolest part of the creature mode, and they completley removed it in favor of "hitpoints" and stupid, incredibly lame flashes of light.

I doubt they'd remove it, I mean comeon, they have a procedural animation generation engine in there, so I doubt it, IMO its hard to judge from that video.

I doubt they'd remove it, I mean comeon, they have a procedural animation generation engine in there, so I doubt it, IMO its hard to judge from that video.

What I meant was, in the GDC 2005 you can see creatures biting each other physically, removing actual pieces of the body and causing blood to splatter, and then dragging the creature away realistically and eating it, while in this video all you see are creatures standing about doing pre-defined animations and striking each other, creating flashes of light and removing some of the green from the bars above their heads.

Indeed. Very lame.

I trust the core of the game is still very much intact. But these changes/developments have really soured the flavor.

What I meant was, in the GDC 2005 you can see creatures biting each other physically, removing actual pieces of the body and causing blood to splatter, and then dragging the creature away realistically and eating it, while in this video all you see are creatures standing about doing pre-defined animations and striking each other, creating flashes of light and removing some of the green from the bars above their heads.
The only fighting I saw in the trailer with creatures vs creatures was during hte tribal part, what you're talking about is in the 'creature' part where you're just controlling one creature, and might very well still be in.

Man, I was excited to see a new trailer. Now, not so much :(

I completely forgot about this game...sounds like it's just going downhill :\

From the start i though of this game as a cool thing to have. It will get boring after like 1 hour.

The concept is awesome but it seems too easy. They make taking over your planet sound easy, I guess it won't be challenging when in war with other tribes and stuff.

The Disney cartoon look puts me off too. :(

how can creature animations/attacks be predefined if every creature will be different..

how can creature animations/attacks be predefined if every creature will be different..

predefined in the editor. I'm saying its procedural, but not procedural on the fly. The editor gives them a predefined "hitting" or "biting" animation and it plays them over and over regardless of the circumstances.

GDC 2005 looked much more fluid, where Wright's creature dynamically bit at certain targets, moving its neck simply because the engine saw that there was a mouth at the end, and that Wright was aiming for the little one-legged hopping creature.

I guess this was just not possible on a large scale or with more abstract creatures.

Or maybe it was that we only actually saw a creature fight during TRIBAL mode, which the game might handle differently from CREATURE phase.

Back