German Consumer Agency Gives Valve "31st January" Ultimatum

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
Back in September the German Consumer Agency (VZBV) warned Valve about changes to the Steam EULA. In previous negotiations, Valve insisted on their business model of not allowing games on Steam to be resold by customers leaving the two parties miles apart on reaching an agreement.

Unfortunately the issue hasn't gone away and the VZBV have reiterated what they want from Valve. As of the 31st of January, Valve have to change their EULA which users must agree to before using Steam.

The consumer protection agency is calling this a "lifelong forced marriage" with Steam and again wants customers to be able to resell their used games and software. They compare video games to classical board or card games, where you don't have any restrictions in selling your property.

In Valve's defense this article refers to a case in 2010, in which the BGH (Bundesgerichtshof = Federal Court of Justice) decided that an account used to manage software licenses could not be sold to others. Due to the new European law that caused the last lawsuit, the VZBV wants this case to be judged again.

We'll update you when we hear more. Thank you to nx_ for the tip & Dennis for his translations once again.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 10,922
I'm a bit confused on this article because a lack of a summary or background information. What exactly are the implications for German gamers?

Appreciated, checking out the original article.

edit: ahhh, it's about resale.

Appreciated, checking out the original article.

edit: ahhh, it's about resale.
Indeed. Essentially the VZBV are trying to protect the interests of German consumers by providing them with the power to be able to resell their goods should they wish to. The updated Valve EULA (sept 2012) stipulates that they are exempt of a new European Law from 2012 which said software licenses could be resold.

Very interesting, this could definitely change the face of the way we face digital goods distribution in general - which I consider somewhat problematic to begin with.

Are Germans allowed to resell other software?

For the most part I'm assuming, considering that's what the CSA is miffed at steam about.

How do they want this to work exactly? Wouldn't it create a real problem for developers? A "used" game license is just as good as a "new" full price license isn't it? It's not the same case with physical discs/items.

Where's the other part of the ultimatum? Change Steam's EULA, or what? What power does this company have over Valve exactly?

Yeah, but I don't see what power they actually have over anything. If its like the Better Business Bureau then they're totally useless as soon as soon as the company they're threatening realizes they can't do dick. And that's actually probably for the best.

Are Germans allowed to resell other software?
It was ruled in the EU that software licences must be treated like other goods and so you should have the ability to re-sell them.

Where's the other part of the ultimatum? Change Steam's EULA, or what? What power does this company have over Valve exactly?
They will probably try to get the EU to levy massive fines against them, but I'm not sure. I'm no lawyer and I don't know exactly what happens when you break EU consumer rights laws.

This is so full of inevitable pitfalls. Like someone buying a game for half price or as much as 75% off... then reselling once the sale ends at close to full price.
Maybe implementing something like tagging your licence with the price you paid so it can only be resold.for similar. Or if you buy a bundle for 20 bucks and get 100 worth of games... How would reselling the ones you dont want work. Essentially, players would effectively be getting their games for free and making money at the same time.
I'm not sure where I stand. I have games I got through bundles that I never intend to play. It would be handy to be able to sell or trade them. But then again, the price paid for the bundles more than make up for having a few licences in my list gathering digital dust as they effectively cost me nothing.
That being said, if this agency has no real clout, this will never happen.

I totally forgot about this, thanks for bringing it back -- I am curious to see what happens, but I doubt anything will. Another one of those moments where the pimple seems to come to a head but never pop.

This is so full of inevitable pitfalls. Like someone buying a game for half price or as much as 75% off... then reselling once the sale ends at close to full price.
People already do this with Steam gifts.

How is Greenman gaming doing in this regard? I know the few games I have with them are worth a penny each simply because of the sales they've gone on.

Back