Getting a DS tomorrow - What games to get?

Iced_Eagle

Tank
Reaction score
As the title says, I'm buying a refurbished DS Lite from the nintendo employee store for $85 :D

I have a few questions though that I'm hoping everyone can answer ASAP.

1) How are refurbished units usually? I'm worried that my screens will be all scratched to hell

2) What are the best games to get right off the bat? (biggest and most important question!)

3) What are some good games coming out soon?

Thanks guys! Oh, and fellow DS'ers, I'll need your friend codes soon so we can play online in a few games, if I get any online games.

Lego Indiana Jones
some kind of mario game
etc.

Mario 64
Wario Ware Touched
New Super Mario Bros

I highly recommend getting a flashcart for games, it works so simple and very well. I only have 2 high recommendations which are Zelda Phantom Hourglass and Final Fantasy Tactics A2

Civilization rev. if you like the Civ series.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! (Import/DL)
Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii: Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 (Import/DL)
Elite Beat Agents
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Justice For All
Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

Of course everything but the first two are widget series, but meh whatever, I enjoyed them immensely.

I daren't put it into my DS, because the floating head guy will scold me for not playing it.

That jerk.

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Justice For All
Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

Advance Wars Dark Conflict (or Days of Ruin; they're the same game with diff names regarding the countries)
Custom Robo Arena

Mario Kart DS
New Super Mario Bros.

Those three games will last you forever. And then you'll play them again.
Also, if you have money to spare and want an amazing game that isn't quite worth the asking price, get Electroplankton.

I love that game. :(

Electroplankton is certainly a fun time-waster.

Advanced Wars is an absolute must if you're a strategy gamer. Civ Rev is a decent version of the Civilization series. Professor Lawton's Curious Village if you like puzzle games, Clubhouse games if you like card games and TouchMaster if you like the touch screen games you find in bars.

Any decent non-turn based; non-JRG's on the DS? I quite fancy something along those lines. (After playing so much Morrowind :p )

Mario Kart DS
New Super Mario Bros.

Those three games will last you forever. And then you'll play them again.
Also, if you have money to spare and want an amazing game that isn't quite worth the asking price, get Electroplankton.

I love that game. :(

this.

Any decent non-turn based; non-JRG's on the DS? I quite fancy something along those lines. (After playing so much Morrowind :p )

No.

Not that I know of, or I'd have played them.

I don't have a DS but I can recomend you:

Trauma Center: Under the Knife
Metroid Prime Hunters
Hotel Dusk:Room 215
Children of Mana
Electroplankton
Advance Wars: Dual Strike (or Days of Ruin)

Dementium: The Ward
New Super Mario Bros.
FFIV
The World Ends With You
Touch Detective 1 and 2.5
Impossible Mission

Advance Wars

I have over 140 hours played on Advance Wars DS.

Advance Wars

^This.

Need someone repeat?

Advance Wars!

Oh, Trauma Center: Under the Knife is pretty interesting too, as well as the Castlevania titles.

@ Riomhaire: If Advance Wars online was ever invented, I'd so crush your pathetic army! :> Grit's indirect units ftw!

I suck at advance wars, but it's a good game.

Advance Wars

ThAT u have to have it its one of the best game EVER!! also get the zelda one and mario bros.

BUt serously GET ADVANCE WARS!!!

I like my DS and all, but I find myself uninspired when wanting to buy new games. I have to say that the only Essential game I own for the console (as in, a game that I feel all should play) is New Super Mario Bros, which is IMO the definitive Mario platformer and the only noteworthy platfomer I've played in about a decade.

As regards getting an R4 or other err... 'Homebrew card', how far along is emulation on the DS? I really want to be able to play some SNES / Mega Drive titles on the go, and Mega CD / 32X would be a welcome bonus, but it seems that the 'scene' is enthusiastic but poorly supported, despite the popularity of R4-like devices.

I have become disillusioned with Advance Wars thanks to Days of Ruin, which I found somewhat painful to play. Myself, I'm awaiting the Fire Emblem DS game. If and when it ever comes around.

Dunno enough about the homebrew stuff. I downloaded a movie viewer and use it as a video iPod (I don't actually have one, so yeah.)

^This.

Need someone repeat?

Advance Wars!

Oh, Trauma Center: Under the Knife is pretty interesting too, as well as the Castlevania titles.

@ Riomhaire: If Advance Wars online was ever invented, I'd so crush your pathetic army! :> Grit's indirect units ftw!
I thought Days of Ruin has online. Too bad I don't have Days of Ruin yet. Or an internet thingy for my DS. Or wireless broadband. Or broadband.

Well, the definitive RPG experience on the DS is coming out next month: the remake of Dragon Quest 4. Looks INSANELY GORGEOUS and plays just as the old classic did.

Some I would recommend include:

• Mario Kart DS
  • New Super Mario Bros.
  • Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
  • Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
  • Contra 4

Damn!! How could I forget Contra 4??? One of the best old-school shooters in the biz!!!

I am totally disgusted by the R4 flashcart idea. I DID NOT Google it, I DID NOT order it from Amazon and I DO NOT intend on ever using such a thing.

Good day sir.

Just picked up the blue / black DS Lite yesterday and got new SMB. Just beat it this morning. It was really fun, and was actually the first Mario game I've ever beat until the end! Usually I just stop playing somewhere along the way. But this time I was just hooked and kept playing.

I owned the final boss as well

Got the mushroom that makes me huge, so as soon as I went into that room where bowser and bowser jr. were, I used my huge shroom, stomped across the way crushing both of them, and then hit the button and win in about 3 seconds flat. :LOL:

Back