3DS price lowered to US$170, early adopters get free games

Bad^Hat

The Freeman
Reaction score
Effective August 12. Not sure if the price change will carry over to other territories straight away.

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/ninte...-to-16999-early-adopters-get-free-games/3530/

If you (like me) already bought a 3DS and are cringing, Nintendo's hoping to appease early adopters with the "3DS Ambassador" program, which roughly translated into English means "free stuff."

First, you'll gain access to 10 free Virtual Console games from the NES era, including Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong Jr., Balloon Fight, Ice Climber and The Legend of Zelda. The others five aren't known, and all ten will become publicly available for purchase at a later date.

Additionally, Nintendo's offering up another 10 free Game Boy Advance titles. The games include Yoshi’s Island: Super Mario Advance 3, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Metroid Fusion, WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$ and Mario vs. Donkey Kong. The other five weren't listed, but that's a hell of a list already.

Strangely, Nintendo claims these free GBA titles won't be made available to everyone else.

Yeah, still not convinced, but nice for people who were on the fence! What do you early adopters think of the freebies?

Ah, so they're pulling a Microsoft then? Neat!

No actual 3DS retail titles as free games though? But then again, from what I've been told there aren't many good 3DS titles currently available, so I guess it makes more sense to hand out VC titles instead.

With the XB1, I was given two retail titles as well as an extra game controller which was very nice.

I plan to get one eventually, but I still need to see some new titles before I jump.

I would be more interested if they made more N64 era-like games that aren't existing games just ported over. Such as making a OOT-like game rather than porting OOT over. Or a Mario 64-like game that isn't Mario 64.

I'd sell my bass guitar for 3DS money if they released Majora's Mask 3D.

Here I was thinking they'd never be able to top their previously set Virtual Boy level of complete and utter product-launch failure.

Glad the damn thing failed. Early adopters are suckers, granted, but I'm glad they're being reimbursed in one form or another for the quick price drop.

Me thinks that's a good starting price point as the PSP Vita is comming out with a $250.00 price tag, anyways I'll still get the PSP Vita over this... I just like the games more I guess.

There's a big campaign to get him to sell his bass guitar? But then how would we get to hear those awesome bass solos?

xN6fO.png

I swear to god, 90% of HL2.net content comes directly from reddit :p (referring to the image StarBob posted)

Reading the OP at first I was like D: because I have a 3DS... and that's quite a price drop. 10 free NES games... woohoo I guess. 10 free GBA games = win though. I'm satisfied.

I do have faith this will be a great handheld system once they flesh out the goddamn games library, which right now consists of 1 must-have game (Ocarina of Time, which is beautiful and amazing in every way), and only a handful of "solid" titles like Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars and Street Fighter IV.

They can just re-release platformers from the N64's golden age with updated graphics and luscious 3D and I'd be perfectly content.

It's true. I just enjoyed that because I always make fun of bass guitarists and their miniscule contribution to 99% of the bands they take part in.

They can just re-release platformers from the N64's golden age with updated graphics and luscious 3D and I'd be perfectly content.

VL5Os.gif

Disclaimer: this is not intended to be a factual comment.

What a ****ing joke and I can't believe some of you are considering buying this to replay N64 games.
If the consumer shouldn't be putting up with this shit.Nintendo is a ****ing joke we'll see how that WiiU turns out I'm not holding my breath.

Who plays Nintendo games on a Nintendo Portable console??

That question deserved the extra question mark.

What a ****ing joke and I can't believe some of you are considering buying this to replay N64 games.

Sadly i'm more excited by the prospect of revisiting Star Fox than most new releases. I certainly enjoyed playing OoT again more than most games in recent years. The N64 is home to many great gamers games which make for a nice change to the gritty cinematic experiences that hold your hand from start to finish we're inundated with these days. But yeah, more new games too pls.

If the consumer shouldn't be putting up with this shit.Nintendo is a ****ing joke we'll see how that WiiU turns out I'm not holding my breath.

I don't understand what you're so upset about? People want to play games they found really enjoyable in a handheld portable format... seems like what happened with the GBA and the SNES and no one was complaining then. High quality content never goes out of style... Just like millions of people would buy final fantasy 7 again if it was re-released on a modern console.

Sadly i'm more excited by the prospect of revisiting Star Fox than most new releases. I certainly enjoyed playing OoT again more than most games in recent years. The N64 is home to many great gamers games which make for a nice change to the gritty cinematic experiences that hold your hand from start to finish we're inundated with these days. But yeah, more new games too pls.
Even new entries in already-established franchises would be great. Super Monkey Ball 3D, anyone?

Nice to see a CEO take such responsibility in the current financial climate!

Yeah right... American businessmen get bonuses when shit goes wrong. "Golden Parachute" bullshit. That's the think about Japan. They give bonuses if work is fnished early and quality is high. They expect you to be humbled if you **** up. That's integrity.

Even new entries in already-established franchises would be great. Super Monkey Ball 3D, anyone?

Pilot Wings was good, if short. I'm sure the new Mario will be excellent and the usual cast of Zelda, Metroid etc etc will be too. And to be fair - the new Monkey Ball was balls. A remake of the original would have been great.

I've got no problem with remakes - good for fans and great for people who missed them first time around.

I will consider the 3DS (be it new or ebay) when I can get it sub $130 like when I got my DS lite. Should have plenty more games then. I only partially completed OOT and if Majora's Mask is made, that would be awesome too.

There is one 3DS exclusive that really interests me, Fantasy Life.

But I haven't heard anything new on that since that old Japanese trailer for it.

Nintendo needs to get it's head out of its butt. The 3DS relies on a gimmick, just like the Wii does. I keep praying each day that the Wii U will have an alternative controller, instead of solely the paper weight it has now. I believe that by the end of the 3Ds's life span it is going to have about 5 great games that everybody is going to own.

Almost reminds me of the beginnings of the PS3 after its release.

Meh. I will get 3DS when Resident Evil Revelations come out.

Doesn't matter if the system's price is down. There is no point of getting it when it doesn't even have any good titles. I don't care about rehashed garbages.

Back