Getting rid of custom model.

Planetary

Reaction score
So apparently I have a custom Engie mining helmet model in my game files, with no way to get rid of it. It's really bugging me. I can only assume that it got downloaded off some random server, but I have no idea how to replace it with the original one. Here's what it looks like in the Model Viewer:

The worst thing is, it's animated with some annoying flame effects on it, but those only appear in-game.

I've done stuff like verify my game cache, but I've checked and found it in the GCF itself (replacing the real hat). Is there anyway to get the real model back, sicne you can't delete gcfs?

Wow, I didn't know server-side mods downloads could end up taking precedence over your original game files. You could Delete Local Game Content and re-install TF2, that'll fix it but it'll take forever to download it again off of Steam.

So you're *sure* that the file has replaced the model in your GCF? The replacement model isn't sitting in a models directory?

Perhaps find someone to send you the original GCF, and then replace it?

Yes, I used GCFscape to make sure that I was looking at the right model. It's in Team fortress content.gcf
tf/models/player/engineer/
With the mining helmet files at the bottom.
I think the easiest thing for me would be to get the real files from somewhere else, but does GCFscape even have a function to replace them?

Verify the game cache. Go to Steam, right click on the game, go to properties -> local files and pick verify game cache.

Wait... A game server downloaded content into your GCF? You're not supposed to be able to modify the GCFs. Are you sure that model isn't residing in your team fortress 2/tf2 folder?

They should be in:

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\ (your steam user name) \team fortress 2\tf

Look in the materials and models folder. The models folder will have custom models and the materials is for the skin. Everything inside there is custom content.

Your custom hat will be there.

Yup, thanks for elaborating on my vague post :p

They should be in:

C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\ (your steam user name) \team fortress 2\tf

Look in the materials and models folder. The models folder will have custom models and the materials is for the skin. Everything inside there is custom content.

Your custom hat will be there.

this. Servers cannot change the GCF.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can get all your original materials and models back if you simply delete those folders from C:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\SteamApps\ (your steam user name) \team fortress 2\tf.

That's what I did.

Ok I've deleted both the models and materials folder. (I verified my cache even before posting this topic)
Result:

I took the shot on an idling map that has all the hats on display, which is easier then finding a player who has it on a real server.

Is it possible to delete something in a GCF, so that Steam redownloads the right ones when I start the game up next time?
I know that the hats only take up a few files each. I'd prefer that compared to a complete reinstall.
Specifically:mining_hat.dx80.vtx, mining_hat.dx90.vtx, mining_hat.mdl, mining_hat.phy,mining_hat.sw.vtx,and mining_hat.vvd, in the folder I mentioned.

It's not possible that your GCFs were modified. Verifying your game content confirms that your GCFs are fine. You must not have deleted the right folders.

Ok I've deleted everything but the cfgs and custom maps.
The damn thing's still there! Either it's hiding in one of those 2 folders or something is very, very wrong.
I may just do a reinstall, who knows.

Could it be hidden? Go to your control panel and then folder options. Open the view tab and tick the box that says "show hidden files and folders." Hidden files look like regular files, but slightly transparent.

Perform a search on the driveletter:\Program Files\Steam for "*.mdl, *.vvd, *.vtx". The file should be in the TF2 folder. You can post a picture of the results here if you're unsure which ones to delete.

I can already see hidden folders.
I did a search like for those filetypes, and I just found a bunch of files that I apparently got when I installed the SDK (CS and DOD stuff) Here they are anyway to show it:

I still think something's up with the GCFs. I used the model viewer, which only looks inside the GCF anyway, and it shows all the other hats and models as just normal, with only the mining helmet looking like that. Same in-game. The GCFscape location is identical to the model viewer location, which is in my 2nd post.

All right already, delete the GCF and let Steam DL a new one.

does it do that? Wouldn't you have to d-load tf2 all over again to do that?

It was implied. The TF2 GCF is pretty damn huge, because it's like 98 percent of the game content. (file size wise)

And yeah I'm pretty sure it does that, if you try running your game after deleting the GCF, it'll have to download the game before it runs.

Yes that would work too. But it's needless. The GCF is the only thing that's "infected."

Ok so I reinstalled the game (didn't take that long since it started at 35% and I saved my maps and config).
I can still see the damn thing. I've posted this at the steam forums, I'll see what they make of it.

Hey man put your head back together again. It took 10 minutes for someone to find the issue on the Steam Forums. It's all good now.
It was a Direct X 80 bug. Others have gotten it.

The hat looks fine now.
Here's the thread:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1118068

Say what you will about the quality of the posts, the sheer number of people there makes up for it all. ;)

I was just about to suggest a graphics driver/card issue but at least the problem is solved.

Back