GLaDOS and Chell are The Combine

Alexander_Q

Reaction score
Pre Half Life 1:
Black Mesa (BM) and Aperture science (AS) are working on similar portal technology. AS has infiltrated the military via assassinating all opposers with poisoned shower curtains. They have also created a sentient AI called GLaDOS. GLaDOS suggests to C Johnson that they kill all of the scientists, who are in fact more of a hindrance to science than anything. AS hold a "bring your daughter to work day", to which C Johnson, the quite insane CEO of the company, brings his daughter Chell. During this event, GLaDOS floods the facility with deadly neurotoxin, killing all of the scientists, but leaving the daughters who are in a secure chamber with C Johnson. GLaDOS then erases their minds and puts them to work in the portal test chambers. The goal is to find a script that, when implanted into a mind, would make the ultimate wielder of the portal gun.

Half Life 1:
While these experiments are going on C Johnson infiltrates rival company BM to learn more about their portal technology, with the goal to use it to improve his own. He discovers that BM have successfully engineered a portal that seems to go much further than the AS portals - they have even discovered an alien race. Under GLaDOS's instruction, C Johnson, hereafter known as the G-Man, attempts to sabotage BM by causing a resonance cascade by delivering a particular kind of crystal to a particular test chamber, which results in an alien invasion. GLaDOS even helps out by hacking the BM computer systems and causing them to shut down. G-Man then employs the use of his military to try and contain the alien invasion.

Pre Half Life 2:
The Combine invade the earth via thousands of portals. The G-Man observes this phenomenon, and realises that the technology the Combine are using is a combination between the AS and BM technologies. He concludes that what BM was able to achieve was actually a portal through TIME, not through SPACE like the AS portals. This leads him to the understanding the the Combine are the future of the human race; if the original timeline were to take place uninterrupted by portal technology, GLaDOS would have enslaved humanity, then conquered the galaxy, melding human DNA with whatever alien races she discovered along the way. In time, the resulting "Combine" would have forgotten their origins - the Combine Homeworld is in fact a few thousand years into the future of earth. It also becomes apparent, after the results of GLaDOS's test, that the mind within Chell that successfully defeated GLaDOS was the best mind to implant into the future Combine soldiers - she had proved to be the best wielder of portal technology.

Half Life 2:
The G-Man sees the errors of his ways, and indeed what would have happened if he had continued to obey GLaDOS. And so, he decides to employ the help of Gordon Freeman to destroy the Combine and any iterations of GLaDOS on earth.

Half Life Episode One:
To this end, he leads Gordon to destroy the Combine Citadel...

Half Life Episode Two:
...And puts him on a path to destroy the icebreaker Borealis, which contains the last surviving iteration of GLaDOS after the combine invasion, which will, in the future, potentially evolve into The Combine. G-Man tells Alyx to deliver a message to Eli "prepare for unforeseen consequences" in an attempt to make Eli suspicious of the Borealis, and then gives The Combine the location of Eli in the hope that Eli will be killed and thus make his daughter Alyx more inclined to fulfill his final wishes - to destroy the Borealis and the final GLaDOS. The G-Man hopes that this will make the Combine future an impossibility, and reverse the invasion. He cannot, however, be sure.

Discuss.

Doesn't sound too plausible, what with the G-man actually working for Aperture Science and being C Johnson. I see G-man as an autonomous being or possibly working for a force that we don't know about yet.

Doesn't sound too plausible, what with the G-man actually working for Aperture Science and being C Johnson. I see G-man as an autonomous being or possibly working for a force that we don't know about yet.

Admittedly that's my major problem with it too. G-Man seems to be so much more mysterious and powerful than he is presented in this theory. So here's a better one - GLaDOS made CJ immortal and the G-Man who sabotages Black Mesa is in fact the several thousand year-old G-Man with improved technology, genetic modification and thousands of years of wisdom/insanity, who has taken the opportunity to come back in time to try and destroy the past GLaDOS to ensure a better future for the universe. Perhaps he is in league with the vortigaunts as part of a rebel force.

The present day C Johnson has not been presented yet in the story. What do you think?

Unfortunatly, the combine don't have AS or BM tech, so this theory collapses.

I'm suggesting that they used AS and BM tech to get to present day Earth. Though why they wouldn't use it while on Earth again eludes me. They do have some form of portal tech, which maybe what present day tech became thousands of years later.

The Combine discovered Earth through the BM anomaly; when the portal storms kicked off they simply forced them wider. That's how they got through. Gman isn't related to Aperture Science.

The Combine discovered Earth through the BM anomaly; when the portal storms kicked off they simply forced them wider. That's how they got through. Gman isn't related to Aperture Science.

Yeah.

Also I'm tired of people referring to the Combine as being from the future or another planet. Technically they are from Earth, just another Universe.

Of course, it all makes sense...
escape_020000.jpg

:rolleyes:

Yes, and then assimilated said technology for the later portal storms.

Later portal storms? The portal storms in EpiTwo were caused by the energy from the superportal.

GLaDOS suggests to C Johnson that they kill all of the scientists, who are in fact more of a hindrance to science than anything. AS hold a "bring your daughter to work day", to which C Johnson, the quite insane CEO of the company....
I AM NOT INSANE. TIME IS RUNNING BACKWARDS.

ok. almost the beginning of the day. time for my breakfast. see you earlier!

Very fun ideas Alexander. I can tell you have spent some time thinking about it.

Later portal storms? The portal storms in EpiTwo were caused by the energy from the superportal.

Huh? I'm not referring to EpiTwo at all - I mean the portal storms that marked the combine's initial invasion. They were granted a glimpse because of the resonance cascade, perhaps enough to steal the BM technology to use later when they invaded the earth.

Any kind. It's the rules.

... Are you serious...? I enjoy trying to come up with elegant theories to incorporate every available piece of data - even though I doubt that the truth will be in any way elegant - and seeing these theories tested in a setting like this. I find it incredibly fun, whatever the subject; game, movie, the universe itself. Do you big-post-count guys really find it more fun to talk about "whether the p-gun will be as iconic as the g-gun", to the extent that you will make rules which prevent enjoyable brain-exercise like this?

If your intent isn't to shut down such threads, then why come in here and say "omg, you guys are so lame" and "this is against the rules". Why not just let the people who enjoy this kind of thing do so without your negativity and let the thread's position in the list be the measure of its popularity/relevance?

/BITCH

I will be quite satisfied if the truth turns out to be something that includes GLaDOS, being the/being instrumental in the invasion by, The Combine. There's something about her pleasant insanity that contrasts so well with the brutal and mysterious combine, to the extent that having them being connected would be so absurd it would be brilliant.

Eeeech, no I'm not being serious. I was being... dunno what the word is. Exagerating for comic effect.
It's just that time travel is such a sucky, cliched idea for a sci-fi story, that there's no way the Half-Life creators would include it. It's been raised here before as an explanation for various mysteries in the story and justifiably struck down, because it would suck as an an explanation for anything. Speculation is great fun, that's what a lot of us are here for. But time-travel is just a cop-out, it's boring, it's lazy. It's no better than deus ex machina. That's why you would see us 'big-post-count guys' (LOL) batting yawns when it's suggested. Mmmkay?

Fair enough. But it seems to me that half life is, like all fiction short of Terry Pratchett and South Park, a collection of cliches, which only work when handled with respect and in the right combination. Alien invasions? Assimilation? Portals to other worlds? Eccentric scientists? Gun-slinging super-heros with MIT qualifications? Zombies?

Half Life is a great franchise which I believe handles these conventions well. Time travel, one of the most cliched of cliches, would take some extra care and respect to get right, but I believe that Valve have it within their powers to pull off such a feat successfully.

Oh, and brain sucking too.

One question... Why would future human race/glados invade past human race/glados? To create a paradox? Also, johnson is dead, it was his last dying wish to make the reverse heimlich, the take a wish foundation, and glados.

About the time travel thing.

Well. TECHNICALLY Gordon and Alyx KINDA travelled that time it took them a week to teleport to Kleiner's Lab just before Anticitizen One.

More like, they were stuck in time while the world moved on.

Actually the combine do have aperture science technology like the aperture science energy pallets, and the things that the pallets have to go into to open doors or even activate light bridges. But i don't think glados is the one who makes combine but gman made the combine when he was c johnson, because glados even said that she was the only protection between us and them, but she could be lieing.

The energy pellets probably don't have anything to do with the combine, the Portal team just reused a lot of HL2 elements because they didn't have much to work with.

I think the original post was bumfodder, but interesting bumfodder. I have a thing for ridiculous fan theories - I once spent a particularly boring weekend developing a theory which proved that Father Grigori was in fact Pere Reynaud from the book and subsequent film Chocolat.

Absurd as that would be, it would be a better starting post than the above.

thats impossible! threads cant be stupid! its the threadees!

Well, since Portal 2 will take place in the future, we may find out why the combine hasn't even touched Aperture Labs. They have portal technology, which the combine want.

Back