Gman Theories

Not sure actually L4F, It's hard to say "Definitely" anything about the Gman as far as we all know he could be human working for an unknown organisation and as for the time travel and vanishing into no where who knows that if his brief case doesn't contain a time warping device, although i do not believe Gman is human there is an equal chance any of the theories could be correct, i mean even Gordon being the Gman can be explained with some far out theory that valve might choose or have chosen to implement.

we can say some things about G-man:
-he's not human,
-he's probably not gordon,
-he's probably evil.

Again. he might BE human, we have no idea as of yet, theres no actual evidence to show he's an alien, just cause he can travel through time and space doesn't exactly say he's an alien, super human powers aren't alienese and what if he isn't powerful at all what if he is technologically advanced by a company

Gman is definitely not human

No he is human. He's a businessman from our time who worked on Wall st. He zapped himself into the future to aviod the armageddon like environment post the world economy crash; the hypothesis being the environment in modern day earth is better than post sub-prime crisis.

The briefcase he carries contains worthless stocks from the businesses that fell through.

By your logic I am the most viable candidate for Gman.

Gman is quite clearly Morgan Freeman.

How can you guys not see that?

The Gman obviously has immense power and a major purpose in Half Life prolly something we will never know

By your logic I am the most viable candidate for Gman.
We'll see...about that!

Also, people: HE CANNOT TRAVEL THROUGH TIME.

I repeat, there is no time travel going on here. He's teleporting to an instance of time, a singular, isolated point in time. He has not halted time, frozen time, stopped time. He cannot reverse time, move forward in time, or run circles around time. The G-man has no power over TIME.

He has stopped time, at the top of the tower at the end of Half Life 2, he stops it before the explosion engulfs you, unless of course that was some other massively powerful person who at the moment of stopping comes and starts talking to you

He has stopped time, at the top of the tower at the end of Half Life 2, he stops it before the explosion engulfs you, unless of course that was some other massively powerful person who at the moment of stopping comes and starts talking to you

He doesn't stop it, he just slows down time by an extreme amount, like when Gordon is in stasis.

Go watch the final scene in HL2 again, he completely stops time, it's not slowed at all it's come to a complete stop

He teleported to one specific moment in time. He didn't stop time. There's a subtle difference there.

He teleported to one specific moment in time when the time stopped enough for him to lecture Gordon. There's a subtle difference there.

I posted a question on the "is the Gman evil" poll and I thought I'd throw it in here.
One thing I don't understand, and I hope someone will clear this up for me, is what did the Gman mean by "The border world Xen is in our control for the time being, thanks to you..." at the end of HL1?

Who is "our?" I thought the Combine took over Xen which is why they portal-stormed their behinds onto earth. Not to mention, he's standing next to a bunch of tanks on Xen when he says that. Where'd those tanks come from?

Thoughts?

I think the g-man is some kind of god of all the events of half life. He has advanced technology(im almost sure that os spelled wrong)more advanced than the rebels and combine. He has som kind of portable portal device that can teleport him anywhere(more advanced than the rebels and combines gigantic things and aperture science's portal device since et only teleport in a point in sight. So he is probably from a other universe not xen not ehm earth but a completely other universe trying to prevent all other universes portal technology making his universe the biggest, strongest and most advanced nation ever! That's also why he blew up black mesa and sabotaged GLaDOS.

That is pretty much my theory. I have no proof tho. Of course:flame:

Reloader 2

I posted a question on the "is the Gman evil" poll and I thought I'd throw it in here.

Thoughts?

Hl1 came out before the contemplation of the combine... So its best to assume its not related. i think the g-man was refering to humanity and the black mesa defense when he says 'we'. Implying that they had won the battle over xen, especially since gordon killed the nihilanth...

He may have transported to that one spot in time, but he had to stop it to keep it stopped, you can transport through time, but then it'd continue on like normal, not completely stop, and if he can go to a specific moment in time, that also means he has powers over time >.<

Not if you exist outside of normal timespace and isolate one specific point in time to return to. Thus, time flows normally around you, but you are "bubbled" within one specific moment of time. Think of it as a rock in a rushing river. The rock just sits there in at that fixed point, while the river continues its flow around it.

You see how that works? The rock has not stopped the river, but it does not move in its place in the river.

Thus is space, thus is time.

The G-man has no power over TIME.

Wouldn't being able to go to one specific point in time, and yes i did understand you before, i didn't need the rock/river analogy lol. but wouldn't being able to go to one point in time be a power over time, i mean not like everyone can go to specific time periods when they feel, and wouldn't being able to go to one time cause Gordon to be frozen too? at the start of Episode 1, Alyx informs you all she remembers is, Vortigaunts, no Gman. so obviously time was stopped around the Gman, but not precisely a time period itself was stopped, more accurately he most likely travelled to the time period, but then to stop the explosion, paused time so that not only he is safe from the blast but also Gordon.

I understand that yeah, a rock doesn't move in a rushing river, but wouldn't that make Gordon a part of the river, keeping him moving. i mean stop me if i'm wrong lol
Although your idea makes sense, it doesn't seem rock solid to me, and i don't think you believe it either entirely, i've spoken with you a bit about the gman and stuff and you usually make a more rock solid arguement before posting it. I don't think we'll ever really be 100% sure about what the Gman can do, i mean he is almost a paradox within himself, and i really don't want to start a time paradox theory discussion because to be quite honest, The gman theory discussion is quite confusing already

but wouldn't being able to go to one point in time be a power over time, i mean not like everyone can go to specific time periods when they feel, and wouldn't being able to go to one time cause Gordon to be frozen too? at the start of Episode 1, Alyx informs you all she remembers is, Vortigaunts, no Gman. so obviously time was stopped around the Gman, but not precisely a time period itself was stopped, more accurately he most likely travelled to the time period, but then to stop the explosion, paused time so that not only he is safe from the blast but also Gordon.
You see, that's the thing. I sincerely doubt he has the power to pause time.

The way I believe it works is like this: the G-man obviously operates outside of normal time and space, that's a given fact. Now, from wherever he's operating from, he's watching over Gordon's progress. At the PRECISE time the explosion goes off, the G-man pulls Gordon outside of normal time and space, essentially isolating ONE point of time. He hasn't "paused" time, per se, because he cannot go into our normal flow of time and say, "STOP!" and everything stops. So at that moment, my whole "rock in the river" analogy was meant to show that you're bubbled in your own window of time.

With the vortigaunts, it's basically the same thing, since through the vortessence they are able to "pierce the false veil of space and time." They are acting outside of normal space and time, they have not paused time.

The power to literally freeze time is just too powerful and I would hope that Valve would not gimmick the G-man and the vortigaunts so.

I understand that yeah, a rock doesn't move in a rushing river, but wouldn't that make Gordon a part of the river, keeping him moving.
Gordon's on the rock. ;) The rock is that moment of time.

Let's say somehow you could watch the whole scene in real-time (without fear of being caught in the explosion). You would see Gordon there one moment, then he'd be gone, and then the explosion happens. You wouldn't notice time ever stopping.

yeah that makes a lot more sense than i thought it did before, i guess thats a possibility

Here are the two most common theories

1. Gman is actually Gordon Freeman (G=Gordon. Man= Freeman-Free) He came back from a a time device. ( I think this is a load of crap, Gman cant be Gordon, Gman was the name Fans gave to the mysterious person they first met in HL1)

2. Gman was hired by a nation that is in war with the Combine.
(Could be true)

I dont have a personal opinion on who Gman is, Gman could be anything

Did you really have to bump this thread?

Also, those theories suck.

(except the gordon one)

*snicker*

Gman was the name Fans gave to the mysterious person they first met in HL1
Gman was the name of the character model. It stands for Government Man. The fans didn't come up with the term "gman." It's an actual term used for suited, often shady-looking government officials, and that's what Valve decided to name the model going by his looks.

Gman was the name of the character model. It stands for Government Man. The fans didn't come up with the term "gman." It's an actual term used for suited, often shady-looking government officials, and that's what Valve decided to name the model going by his looks.

You know what would suck?

If Gman was given a real name in the game. Like Johnson or Willy.

"My name is Willy, and I'm here to make you an offer you can't refuse".

What if his name was something cool, like Sebastian?

I would be alright with that.

Back