Google buys Motorla Mobility for 12.5 billion USD

Reaction score
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/08/supercharging-android-google-to-acquire.html

Supercharging Android: Google to Acquire Motorola Mobility
8/15/2011 04:35:00 AM

Since its launch in November 2007, Android has not only dramatically increased consumer choice but also improved the entire mobile experience for users. Today, more than 150 million Android devices have been activated worldwide—with over 550,000 devices now lit up every day—through a network of about 39 manufacturers and 231 carriers in 123 countries. Given Android’s phenomenal success, we are always looking for new ways to supercharge the Android ecosystem. That is why I am so excited today to announce that we have agreed to acquire Motorola.

Keeps getting bigger. Interesting.

Hopefully this will mean better quality control for android phones. Unless they're higher end phones, many android devices have trouble running the system satisfactorily due to shite hardware. I mean this is 2011, you should be able to scroll through your contacts and the apps menu smoothly and without frustration. I couldn't believe how slow my Moto Backflip was when I first got it. Luckily I was able to install a custom rom on it, I got Android 2.2 running and it's like a completely different phone, so much faster, the battery life is longer, it's amazing. I still get random reboots but I can deal with that. Anyways, I imagine Samsung and LG are pretty pissed about this deal though

thats.....good news I guess. I've got an HTC Incredible but I've had Motorola Razers and others and they worked pretty damn well

Hopefully this will mean better quality control for android phones. Unless they're higher end phones, many android devices have trouble running the system satisfactorily due to shite hardware. I mean this is 2011, you should be able to scroll through your contacts and the apps menu smoothly and without frustration. I couldn't believe how slow my Moto Backflip was when I first got it. Luckily I was able to install a custom rom on it, I got Android 2.2 running and it's like a completely different phone, so much faster, the battery life is longer, it's amazing. I still get random reboots but I can deal with that. Anyways, I imagine Samsung and LG are pretty pissed about this deal though

I have the same phone, can you send me a link to what you did/tell me how you did it? The phone is annoyingly slow at times. BTW, the random reboots are due to the battery housing being slightly bigger than the battery itself, which causes the battery to shift and lose connection with the phone. I eventually couldn't deal with it anymore and I called AT&T and after two hours of being on the phone telling them what the problem was (since apparently they had never heard of it before which is bs because if you google "backflip restarting" you get a ton of results) they sent me a new phone and it hasn't done it at all since then.

Never heard of Motorola Mobility. Is it big in the US?

apple=neucom,google=general resource ltd?

*cookie to anyone who gets the reference*

Never heard of Motorola Mobility. Is it big in the US?

It's a very large cell phone manufacturer. Kind of like LG I suppose, but they make other stuff too. Motorola isn't known for much other than their cellular devices.

****, we should have got it. The idiots at Samsung missed a chance to extend their dominance of the market, and they'll probably pay for it too.

Unless Google is retarded. But we all know Google is neither good nor retarded.

I'm starting to get creeped out by Google. Another year or two and it'll basically be an opt-in SkyNet.

I bet Google could come out with a service to rival or exceed Verizon Wireless...and make it global. Played global domination.

It's a very large cell phone manufacturer. Kind of like LG I suppose, but they make other stuff too. Motorola isn't known for much other than their cellular devices.
Of course I've heard of mototola, figured this was a type of sub-branch. But Google has actually bought more or less all Motorola?

Of course I've heard of mototola, figured this was a type of sub-branch. But Google has actually bought more or less all Motorola?

According to wikipedia, motorola mobility has a revenue of 11.46 billion, and motorola inc has a revenue of 22 billion - so google bought roughly half of motorola I guess. I don't think Motorola will survive long term (at least, in a global sense) without the mobile division.

Back