Google Drive Launched with 5GB Free. Dropbox Killer?

Installing it now.

Neat, though I've got 20gb on Amazon Cloud for awhile. I have dropbox too, but 2gb is shit, and they're expensive.

Jeebus...

Free you get 5GB of Drive. 10GB E-Mail (news to me! Thought it was still 7GB!). 1GB of Picasa
$2.49/month (cheap) you get 25GB for all of the above including Gmail.
$4.99/month whoa you get 100GB.

And plans all the way up to 16TB.

Bye Dropbox... $19.99 month for their 100GB plan.

I'll wait and see if dropbox drop their prices in response.

Totally a CISPA honeypot.

I'll probably end up using it though.

You can get 5 GB on dropbox for free as well.
So yeah, can't think of a reason to switch to as Dropbox does everything I want.

god I hate this type of 'marketing':
"Get started with 5 GB of free space. Upgrade to 25 GB for less than $2.50 a month..."

25 GB -- $2.49/Month

We'll email you at *******
when your Google Drive is ready.

Ok....guess its not ready for me?

They've probably only accepted the first x thousand people, as a test run. After that they'll open it up to a larger group or to everyone.

Just to say, the Google Drive TOS grant Google the licence to use and make derivative works of everything you upload. The licence last forever, even if you stop using the service.

Your Content in our Services: When you upload or otherwise submit content to our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide licence to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes that we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57420551-93/who-owns-your-files-on-google-drive/

If you write some code and upload it you have given Google permission to use it in any program they see fit forever without paying you a penny.

I'll stick to Drop Box and .edu or custom web storage. Google's ToS here are ridiculous as above posters have said, and it kind of creeps me out.

Just to say, the Google Drive TOS grant Google the licence to use and make derivative works of everything you upload. The licence last forever, even if you stop using the service.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57420551-93/who-owns-your-files-on-google-drive/

If you write some code and upload it you have given Google permission to use it in any program they see fit forever without paying you a penny.
Thats... pretty messed up. I'll just go ahead and upload some copyrighted code, sucks for google if they use it.

That's a seriously ****ed up policy. I think I'm going to start phasing out my use of Gmail...

And then they sue you for it.
I've got less to lose than they do. It'd still be a net loss for them.

In all seriousness though. Their TOS will change soon I have no doubt. This is probably more a case of lawyers being overprotective in their wording than the company intended. The TOS specifically states :

You retain ownership of any intellectual property rights that you hold in that content.

I'm 85% sure that they simply intend to use the information you upload to generate targeted ads, which is how Google makes their money and how all their services work. Its simply that the TOS written by them and their lawyers didn't define this limitation. However, I certainly wont be using this service until they do, and I'd recommend others dont use it either until its changed.

Just got an email saying mine's ready to use, but I'll be holding off for Krynn's reasons.

Well, not that I even have much need for this service anyway. If it's really simple I'll use it for misc stuff but not for art or anything.

The thing I find most impressive, and I've not seen this elsewhere, is its browser viewing.

I haven't found anything it can't open yet. Zip files, RAR files, then browsing their contents, opening up PSD and AI files in the browser. Pretty decent :)

The terms of service is a worry, but I'm sure it's just a blip.

Just realised, why don't I just have the free trial of dropbox and this installed at the same time, storing different stuff, until I figure out which one I want to pay for when I have the cash?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57...oxic-brew/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=Rafe'sRadar

A little more clarity on the issue.

Generic vague google talk this is
article-1318093-0B803914000005DC-954_306x423.jpg

It's not even close to being a dropbox killer.

Dropbox > Drag a file into the dropbox folder > right-click Copy Public Link > Now I can use that link anywhere, including embedding things into websites, etc.

The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones.
Yeah good thing the phrase "the limited purpose of" totally outlines specific and visible limitations to vague descriptors like "operating" and "promoting". The language of this could never be abused in order to misdirect users.

god I hate this type of 'marketing':
"Get started with 5 GB of free space. Upgrade to 25 GB for less than $2.50 a month..."

25 GB -- $2.49/Month
You must be full of rage in everyday life then, because literally everything in modern consumer culture is advertised this way.

$2.50 a month actually seems like a really reasonable price for 25GB of cloud storage.

Back