Gordon should speak.

YumYumsMD

Reaction score
First and foremost; if this is the wrong board for such a subject or if this thread has been done a million times before, I'm sorry. This is my first post here because I firmly believe introduction threads are pointless.

I think that Gordon Freeman should speak in-game. A silent protagonist seems to me to be nothing more than an excuse not to write for a character. I'm told that it's supposed to make the game more immersive and make you feel as if you were in the game itself, but it really just does the opposite. When other characters speak to Freeman he says nothing back, and then they carry on the conversation as if that was socially acceptable at all. It ruins immersion more than anything and it reminds me of Dora the Explorer, when Dora and Boots tell you to say something in spanish and then there is an awkward silence before they say "Good job! Thanks for the help"

First and foremost; if this is the wrong board for such a subject or if this thread has been done a million times before, I'm sorry. This is my first post here because I firmly believe introduction threads are pointless.

I think that Gordon Freeman should speak in-game. A silent protagonist seems to me to be nothing more than an excuse not to write for a character. I'm told that it's supposed to make the game more immersive and make you feel as if you were in the game itself, but it really just does the opposite. When other characters speak to Freeman he says nothing back, and then they carry on the conversation as if that was socially acceptable at all. It ruins immersion more than anything and it reminds me of Dora the Explorer, when Dora and Boots tell you to say something in spanish and then there is an awkward silence before they say "Good job! Thanks for the help"

It's the inherent nature of the half-life game IP. That closed immersion loop is what made the original game. You being wholly in the space, without recourse to cut scenes is what people loved about it. It's unlikely that the format will change with the next HL2 instalment (whether that be HL2EP3 or HL3 as many here suspect). Personally I'd just be happy to see a final conclusion to the Half-life story, and for Valve to then move onto a new single player IP though.

I agree with Kadayi. Valve have proven that they are great at character development, and I think this talent could be used to make a great protagonist. However, I think its pointless to suddenly make Gordan speak now, as it is a defining characteristic of the series (remember the backlash that Metroid: Other M received?).

Gordon speaking would ruin this series and possibly ruin pc games for the entire industry.

I think that Gordon Freeman should speak in-game. A silent protagonist seems to me to be nothing more than an excuse not to write for a character. I'm told that it's supposed to make the game more immersive and make you feel as if you were in the game itself, but it really just does the opposite.
No, it's great to have a game that doesn't force some kind of character on me, the player. I'm quite happy to write for my character myself, by performing the actions I do.
When other characters speak to Freeman he says nothing back, and then they carry on the conversation as if that was socially acceptable at all. It ruins immersion more than anything
What would be even more horrible would be to have the character answer, and then allow the player to do something that would be totally contrary to the answer just given, thus ruining the story line. And since you're free to do whatever you like while the NPC's are talking... Now imagine Dr. Kleiner telling you all kinds of things and Gordon answering "yes doc, that's so interesting" all the while having the player jumping around the office, throwing stuff around, etc. That would make the game so laughable I'd much rather have Gordon not talking, ever.

I disagree. I find the Half-Life series to be of the most immersive I have ever played. It is really possible to loose yourself in Gordon and part of this is being able to imagine your own words for him and the total lack of cutscenes or forced actions. You are in control 100% of the time and this is never taken away from you. You are forced to do actions by circumstance but the game never takes control from the player and forces the character to do something without your input. This includes speaking. Contrived as it may be having Gordon "silent" allows you to insert yourself there instead. Obviously for much of the time it's not possible for Gordon to have meaningful input during plot-related conversations but there are several times in the series where it's heavily implied that Gordon is speaking but they just let you insert your own dialogue (chiefly ordering around scientists and rebels). There's also some dialogue with Rosenburg in Blue Shift that implies that Calhoun talks but again we don't hear it.

Ok let's get Ted Williams, "The Man with the Golden Voice" to do Gordon Freeman voiceovers.

No then that would ruin the series and cause mass murder,suicide,theft rates to increase worldwide... >=(

Holy crap, could you imagine the rage that would be caused as people first hear Gordon and realize that he sounds nothing like they were imagining in their head. I had the same thing with the Ctrl-Alt-Del animated series, it ruined the comic forever.

Haha, had to click through after I spied the thread title under new posts.

I like the Dora analogy. I can't wait for the puzzle in HL(ep)3 where I have to correctly identify a series of colours while Alyx stands just off-centre acting mildly confused for a full minute.

I had the same thing with the Ctrl-Alt-Del animated series, it ruined the comic forever.

Sure, that's what ruined the comic.

Lol Gordon actually having a voice would be so strange! I think we can all be sure that Valve won't be changing their current formula though...

I think what Irrational games are doing with Bioshock Infinite is really cool. We had Bioshock1 and 2 featuring the silent protagonist which really fi the dark underwater environment of rapture. Yet Inifinite is capturing completely different, setting - floating city in the skies, much brighter colors, and the protagonist seems will have a well-defined and developed character+voice.

I would be open to something similar for a future game in the HL universe, but I don't think Gordon is ever speaking.

The closest thing to gordon speaking is Freeman's mind... I he had to have a voice, the voice of freeman in Freeman's mind is perfect

The Freeman will remain a silent protagonist, and Valve will never higher a voice actor for the part.

I would not mind if they tried to create the feeling that you as a player were more involved in the conversations and less a passive observer. It kills me that I am apparently unable to respond to what the characters are saying or doing in game.

I'd be all for some sort of system that made the "E" key more useful and allowed you to have more interaction with characters.

It be nice to feel like I have input.

I mean.....

OK! I JUST WANT TO BE ABLE TO HUG ALYX!!!!! :(

happy? :eek:

The wierd thing is that they haven't said that Gordon is a mute, personaly I think that valve should just point out to everyone that Gordon is infact a Mute... which makes him about________________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ this much better

Something about you makes me want to slam my head into a nearby wall.

Thank you Shem, now I know I've done my part

Oh, so you're admitting you've been trolling since you joined this site? What a surprise. I would never have noticed had you not given me that explanation.

People have said this before, but Gordon not talking allows the player to actually BE the player, not just play the player. Don't know if that makes any sense.

I think that if we are to please everybody, valve should give the option if gordon speaks or not, for example if you want to get in the conversation with alyx and Dr. kissner (sorry don't know how to spell his name) walk up and press e or some other interactive button, or if want to let them go at it while you break a tiny teloport device go paly with the device till it breaks, the point is valve should give the players options to how they want to play and interact with the world. . . plus i think it can make the replay value high that way

I should be able to go through the game without a single story element goddamnit!

I agree with Kadayi. Valve have proven that they are great at character development, and I think this talent could be used to make a great protagonist. However, I think its pointless to suddenly make Gordan speak now, as it is a defining characteristic of the series (remember the backlash that Metroid: Other M received?).

Really? I thought that the voice actor in Metroid: Other M really did a great job representing Samus... But the arcade gameplay was absolutely terrible...

Back