Grammar Nazi alert

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
I was just looking over the forum discriptions:

Films, TV and DVD
Discuss your favourite films, DVD's and TV shows.

Why is there an apostrophe there? What does the DVD own?

Also the politics section description is the only one without a punctuation mark at the end. It's just "Politics Discussion"

While I'm complaining about insignificant details the L4D2 section description, "You're all going to buy it anyway...", was clever but now that the boycott group broke up and the game is out it doesn't make so much sense.

And while I'm complaining I might as well complain about something more significant: There are too many sections on the forum. Viewing the HL Mythology section with the default settings (view threads with posts in the last month) the only threads that show up are stickies. The same for the Episode One section. The Half-Life, Episode Two and Episode Three sections don't manage a full page each.

DoD has no posts, Counter-Strike has just a sticky. I won't go on but I do suggest the number of sections is cut down on. The singleplayer and multiplayer sections should be merged and the sections reorganised as either

• Half-Life
  • Portal
  • Team Fortress
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Day of Defeat
  • Counter-Strike

or

• Half-Life
  • Portal
  • Team Fortress
  • Left 4 Dead
  • General Valve Discussion

As I understand it, you should always put an apostrophe after an acronym if it has an 's' after it, because it differentiates what's part of the acronym and what isn't.

DVDs looks fine to me.

BUT WHATEVER THIS DOESN'T REALLY MATTER WHY AM I POSTING

My your a little picky, arent you?

As I understand it, you should always put an apostrophe after an acronym if it has an 's' after it, because it differentiates what's part of the acronym and what isn't.
Or, you know, the capital letters?

The apostrophe between the acronym and s has always confused me. I used to write it without the apostrophe, but everyone else tends to include the apostrophe. Now I have no clue which is grammatically correct.

The apostrophe between the acronym and s has always confused me. I used to write it without the apostrophe, but everyone else tends to include the apostrophe. Now I have no clue which is grammatically correct.
People are just plain shit with apostrophes. They should probably just be abolished from language so that everyone can admit they're wrong and move on.

Have to say though, I've never heard a rule about whacking apostrophes after acronyms, and I can see why if it does exist, no-one ever thought it worth teaching.
Well people acronimise "Day of Defeat" to "DoD", so I'm pretty sure acronyms don't HAVE to have all capitals.
It's hardly the official law of grammar or anything, but people often lower-case unimportant stuff like conjunctions in both titles and the acronyms that mimic them. At any rate, I think you'd be hard pressed to find lowercase letters that aren't in the middle of their acronym, or a person who doesn't understand that "SotC" isn't supposed to be a pronounceable word.

At any rate, I think you'd be hard pressed to find lowercase letters that aren't in the middle of their acronym, or a person who doesn't understand that "SotC" isn't supposed to be a pronounceable word.
What the **** is sotcuh? you're just making stuff up now, Kupo.

Back