Grand Theft Auto IV First Look

Pretty amazing stuff considering they've used the same engine as Rockstar Table Tennis.

For goodness sake, picking on things like the reflections on cars and "some environmental textures" in a game with the scope of GTA IV is absolutely pointless.

We all know fine well that these games are all about substance, pace and immersion, things which perfectly detailed graphics contribute nothing to. When you're playing this game, you won't notice anything as pissy as what's been mentioned in this thread when you've got four lit up stars on your HUD.

It's a safe bet that the overall final presentation of GTA IV will be so damn good things this trivial will never, ever be mentioned again.

Well, it's a screenshot of GTA IV. Thread is titled "first look". Immediately, I liked the way the building looks. As the image finishes loading, it's glaringly obvious that the textures are washed out and need to be darker. I wondered why the people and other things aren't even shaded. I expected it to look alot better personally, but I knew that the game is still much in development.

I picked out what I thought was wrong with it. It looked like something I could fix in a photo editor in 10 seconds. (for each texture) Then I suspected that the problem is the fact that there is some overbright effect going on that doesn't look right in screenshots, but probably looks great when playing. See how the leaves are bright from the sun?

Anyway, this is called a critique. It can also be considered critisism, but since i paid a compliment first, it's a critique. I guess that's how it works.
Isn't that the point of a first look, you give your impressions? Basically my impression is that this doesn't look so good that I would buy a console to play it. There have been games like that in the past for me though.

You might be surprised to find out that developers might read what we write, so critiquing it can have an impact on the game's final outcome.

Finally, unless this game comes to PC, this game means nothing to me, so I'm obviously looking at this game from a different perspective than someone who owns a console and is planning to buy it.

If they do make a PC version, and when they do set a ship date, I will pre-order it if the general opinion is that the game is great, regardless of graphics - this is true. But that doesn't mean we aren't allowed to discuss the graphics does it? Lol

Everyone knows that good graphics don't make the game good, they just make the game sweeter.

The game probably looks amazing in motion, and would be a much better representation of graphic quality than a screenshot. I'd love to see a HD gameplay trailer.

Let's just hope the game runs nice and smooth. Uber visuals at 20fps ftl.

Haha, true! The GTA games have always had a crappy framerate (at least on the PS2), lets hope they can put more effort into making this a solid 30FPS.

Well, it's a screenshot of GTA IV. Thread is titled "first look". Immediately, I liked the way the building looks. As the image finishes loading, it's glaringly obvious that the textures are washed out and need to be darker. I wondered why the people and other things aren't even shaded. I expected it to look alot better personally, but I knew that the game is still much in development.

I picked out what I thought was wrong with it. It looked like something I could fix in a photo editor in 10 seconds. (for each texture) Then I suspected that the problem is the fact that there is some overbright effect going on that doesn't look right in screenshots, but probably looks great when playing. See how the leaves are bright from the sun?

Anyway, this is called a critique. It can also be considered critisism, but since i paid a compliment first, it's a critique. I guess that's how it works.
Isn't that the point of a first look, you give your impressions? Basically my impression is that this doesn't look so good that I would buy a console to play it. There have been games like that in the past for me though.

You might be surprised to find out that developers might read what we write, so critiquing it can have an impact on the game's final outcome.
Hopefully they don't listen to your "critique", because I don't agree with any of it.

IMO, if it plays and runs well, **** everything else.

Back