Graphic Cards

Deacon

Reaction score
"I decided to only include the FlyBy benchmarks. In this case the ti4600 seems to be the better card, the Radeon being 11% slower. This is probably a lot to do with ut2003 being optimised for nVidia cards."

this is what i read when looking to buy a new graphics card

so i was wondering if half-life 2 will be optimised to a particualr
card. If so what will it be i rather know before i make my choice

:)

that was'nt my question
i asked will half-life 2 be optimised to any particular graphics card
so read before you try and be a smart arse

I think it was officialy said in one of the interviews that neither Nvidia nor Ati will have an exclusive optimzation for HL2.

yeah.

it will optimized to a grafic card that have support to Direct-X 9.0 or better. :eek:

Thats ass talk !!!! it has been said for so long that it has been optimized for radeon the " all cards " are sum publicity shit !

Originally posted by | - |
Yes HL2 is optimized for the ATI radeon 9800 pro

It will also be optimised for nvidia cards... Valve have jumped on the ATI wagon for marketing purposes and nothing else!

that was'nt my question
i asked will half-life 2 be optimised to any particular graphics card
so read before you try and be a smart arse

I am a smart ass because i read all the interviews and the like, Thing is you get sick of the same old questions m8. No offence.!

But yea Ati pro seems to be the in thing at the moment :)

Look at the bigger picture of the trends in G-cards over the last several years, and not so much on whats hot this season. No matter what you buy between now and christmas, it aint gonna be nuthin compared to what' going to be hot the following year. and so on...

What I'm hoping DONT happen is that Valve optimises HL2 for ATI technology, and then ATI falls on its face and goes the way of 3DFX. I'm glad to see that ATI has started to make some good products after several years of crap. Competition pushes technology like nothing else.
Nvidia is My preference, but I'm rooting for ATI, its in all our best interests that ATI continues to do well.

I don't know if my pc will be good enought, should I upgrade?

specs:
p4 2.26Ghz
512 mb (pc2700)
mobo: asus p4s533 (533mhz frontsidebus)
gpu: gf4ti4600

latest: nvidia drivers and mobo drivers...

can I play HL2 on a decent resoltion with all special effects on?

well they said that you should have a GeForce4 and a 2hgz computer it didnt say atleast a Readon 9500.. but it is only a thought.
i think it is optimized for all grafic cards that support Direct-X 9.0 or better to get a good performance on high settings.

I just hope I can use My 3D glasses! DX9 yes, Nvidia yes, ATI maybe?!

Shouldnt this be in the hardware section?

Will Half-Life 2 be catered towards a particular brand of video card? As in NVIDIA or ATI?

It would be great if we could pick one hardware platform with perfectly consistent performance, but we can't.

One interesting problem for game engines right now is scalability. You have to run fast on the DX6 generation of hardware (TNT, Intel 810), and you have to fully exploit the latest and greatest DX9 hardware (R350-based and NV35). There's a far greater difference between old and new ATI cards than there is between the latest and greatest ATI and NVIDIA cards.

Source: Gabe Newel Interview - Trepid.net @ 2003/06/13

Dude you cant trust that !!! its just so everuone buys the damn game !!!!!!!!!!!!

How 'bout this...

I just ignore every interview with the Devs and just go to you for "reliable" info on HL2?

Your wisdom is only topped by your eloquent way of talking...

Yea and you know were hes talking from nietzsche....His big hairy Ass. as usual acctualy.

Originally posted by Punisher454
I just hope I can use My 3D glasses! DX9 yes, Nvidia yes, ATI maybe?!
First of all, 3d glasses hurt! Second of all, I'm a little kid and they don't even fit on my head.

Otherwise, it's better than a virtual boy.

Whether its optimised for ATI of Nvidia cars doesnt really matter. It has been said many a time that either card will run it smoothly. Bothe card are beasts and will be able to run pretty much everything on best graphics. I just hope a new card comes out shortly after the release of HL2 to push the prices down a bit.

Originally posted by Deacon
"I decided to only include the FlyBy benchmarks. In this case the ti4600 seems to be the better card, the Radeon being 11% slower. This is probably a lot to do with ut2003 being optimised for nVidia cards."

this is what i read when looking to buy a new graphics card

so i was wondering if half-life 2 will be optimised to a particualr
card. If so what will it be i rather know before i make my choice

:)

My GOD! This forum is so full of trollers I wonder if anyone knows anything about computers and gaming in here? (refering to all replies after your post)

Gaming graphics programming today is done via an API, usually either DirectX or OpenGL. We know HL is optimized for DirectX.

DirectX contains many many functions and definitions that the programmer can use. Graphics card manufacturers develop hardware and then write drivers for their hardware. What these drivers do is perform the functions of the DirectX API as fast as the driver and hardware allows. Different manufacturers have different hardware capable of different performance for different functions. Often the manufacturer can optimize their drivers for certain functions in the DirectX API making different programs perform better while others are left to not improve performance.

Valve cares little about what hardware the game will run on, what they do care about is that there are cards on the market that supports the DirectX functions used in a playable way. If manufacturer A cards are better than Bs cards, so be it. The only reasons Valve claims HL2 is optimized for ATIs Radeon 9800 is 1) the card supprots all DirectX functions used in HL2 and possibly 2) ATI payed them to say so. Since the HL2 demo was held in the ATI booth, both 1) and 2) are probably valid.

I don't doubt the latest nVidia cards support all DirectX functions used in HL2 and one can therefore say HL2 is optimized for nVidia cards also, it might even run faster, who knows until we have the game and cards in our hands. (I don't). I intend to run HL2 on my AXP 3000+ and Ti4200 and I expect it to run smooth.

The mods really need to be a bit more active because these kind off topic dont belong in this forum.

HL2 will support both ATI and Nvidia brand cards, it won't be optimized for a specific company.

You're right EVIL, there should be a new section for useless arguments and lame repeat questions: (will my really fast PC run HL2? because of course you all know as you have copies of the game that isn't even finished yet, but i was just posting to show of the PC that mummy and daddy bought for me)

All threds deemed useless will be moved into that section to leave general discussion open for news and worthwhile posts.

The moderators really need to be more active to stop there furmus getting any worse than they already are.

move this thread already :sleep:..... altho two programmers talking is always interesting IMO

no reason to move it.. no reason to bitch about moving it.. just add something constructive.. or let it fall off the front page.

i believe it will not be optimized for either nvidia or ati cards..

As i said before, i dont think it will even matter. Perhaps when the cards are getting old you will bother about whether games are optimised for one card. At the moment both cards should run the game perfectly.

Derby stop crying man
its a few words
if u don't like it when look
ppl like ytou do me head in if u don't want to read on it don't look
its called Grahpics cards
so if u don't want to read info on it then fo

Originally posted by Deacon
Derby stop crying man
its a few words
if u don't like it when look
ppl like ytou do me head in if u don't want to read on it don't look
its called Grahpics cards
so if u don't want to read info on it then fo
nobody is crying.. and you can't spell. die.

"there should be a new section for useless arguments and lame repeat questions"

thats what derby wrote

and as far spelling yes i am shit

but i type the way i speake living up newcastle ****s you up

Rough translation is that he lives in Newcastle, and they all speak like that there. Which would be true.

the point is it's been duscused to death already. also, there is a hardware forum for people to discuss this sort of thing.

Oh well, i've got to go, i'm getting tears in my keyboard.....

Back