Gravity Gun

Reaction score
I played through the end of Half-Life 2 today again, simply to see the Gman speech, but I got to thinking; why on earth did the gravity gun suddenly turn into an ultimate tool of destruction after being zapped by the confiscator beams/field and why wasn't it destroyed?

Sorry if it's been posted before. I don't think there's a definite answer really, just looking to see if there's info.

Because the energy of the field turbo'd your gravity gun. I think it's best not to question such things, they're there for the sake of the story.

As for a possible valid reason, the GG is the zero point field manipulation device. Zero Point I assume refers to generating particles in a vacuum which is how I also assume it can make localized gravitational warps. Maybe the attempt of the field to incinerate it backfired and supercharged its ability to generate particles so long as the GG is in the vicinity of the citadel's power source to keep its charge going.

look up Zero Point Energy. Anything that requires a degree to understand is automatically grounds for magic.

I thought it was something to do with the flux capacitors. I can't remember exactly, but I think Kleiner makes some such comment.

look up Zero Point Energy. Anything that requires a degree to understand is automatically grounds for magic.

This may be my favorite piece of illogical reasoning ever.

I thought it was something to do with the flux capacitors. I can't remember exactly, but I think Kleiner makes some such comment.

That's Back to the Future. Kidding, but I don't remember him saying anything about one. Thanks for the input from everybody. I'll go look it up on the wiki too.

A good follow-up question is: why did the GG go back to normal once the core was stabilized?

A good follow-up question is: why did the GG go back to normal once the core was stabilized?

It was powered by the core. The weapon destroyer overloaded it, but later when the weapon destroyer and everything else was destroyed, the gravity gun had no power.

...Sure. That makes sense, I guess. My thirst for knowledge wants actual reasoning and detailed explanation though.

When the core stableises, there is a Dark Energy flair, which cancels out the super-charge. It also messes up your suits super-heal.

the gravity gun and the HEV suit just seem to absorb the dark energy beams (which is what i assume they are because of the disintegration of the weapon much like when hit with a dark energy orb from the ar2) so im guessing that these devices absorb energy from the dark energy and then therefore operate at a greater capacity. and the core stabilizing i guess sucked in energy from its surroundings (hence your suit loosing all power as well as your gravity gun returning to normal)

Every citadel power terminal provides super healing. They're just really juiced-up.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

It doesn't just give you powered up shield, it also heals you. After you stabilize the core and return to Alyx, use the charger in the control room. It will go super fast and heal you, as it hasn't changed since you left. (I have never had enough charge left in it to get above 100, but this could be easily verified)

Thus, all Citadel chargers operate that way. They are close to a huge power source and are more efficient. I guess your suit naturally takes the opportunity to engage its medical systems as well.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

It doesn't just give you powered up shield, it also heals you. After you stabilize the core and return to Alyx, use the charger in the control room. It will go super fast and heal you, as it hasn't changed since you left. (I have never had enough charge left in it to get above 100, but this could be easily verified)

Thus, all Citadel chargers operate that way. They are close to a huge power source and are more efficient. I guess your suit naturally takes the opportunity to engage its medical systems as well.

It may heal quickly but your shield will not take more than 100 power. :monkee:

The charger is still different, so it's possible that the Dark Energy doohickey drained the terminal and not your suit. Your suit was not visibly affected by the weapon confiscators, after all.

It was affected by the gravity gun. The gravity gun supercharged made the suit supercharged. :monkee:

It's less consistent that way, and because it doesn't matter and Valve never though about it, the more consistent answer wins. lol

Isn't it so consistent how you always can have 200 charge on your suit...OH WAIT YOU CAN'T!!!

Anyways, why would a supercharged suit simply increase the battery size? Shouldn't it boost the sprint as well?

New features include a visual zooming capability, limited enhanced running (sprint) capability, an injector to administer antidote for neurotoxins such as Poison Headcrab venom, an optional ammo and health counter on the crosshair (enabled by the player in the game's "Mouse" options), and the capability to use Combine power nodes to charge the suit. This design feature would have an unexpected effect later on in the game, when the suit appears to be infused with "Dark Energy" from a Combine weapon confiscation field, allowing the suit to store twice as much energy as normal and, with full power (200 energy), will heal Gordon's health back to 100. The suit also charges much faster, capable of going from 0 to 200 energy without even deplete a single charger by half (normally, a charger can only give the suit 75 energy). This powered version of his suit remains intact for the start of Half-Life 2: Episode One but the effect dissipates after being hit with a massive energy pulse as the Dark Energy reactor restabilizes, which also reverts the Dark Energy Gravity Gun to normal as well. Unlike the Mark IV, the Mark V uses only one auxiliary power source for flashlight, sprinting and oxygen supply (though, as of the events of Episode 2, the flashlight now has a separate charge meter); in addition, the long-jumping module is no longer a feature.

Now I don't know who's right.

It helps my explanation a little, because the Core's pulse also seems depletes the control room charger's capacity back to normal 75 point levels, while still going fast and healing.

Of course, the correct answer is that neither Valve nor I know or very much care. :p

I always just thought that the Core's pulse didn't drain the suit of the extra power as instantaneously as it did with the gravity gun. Im pretty sure the combine chargers dont heal you latter in the game... idk.

After you re-stabilize the core in EP1, the gravity gun changes back to normal & your suit loses all of its power - the citadel charger in the control room (the room you watch the message from Judith in) will boost your power, but it runs super fast and only to about 40%.
It seems to be instantaneous change to me.

But you get that that is the only coherent explanation, right?

Back