Guild Wars 2

I did an install from disk and it only took about 20 mins or so. Sure there's not something wrong with your dvd/hard drives?

So far I've spent my first hour trying to make the right character. GG.

I've been playing a pistol thief, which is an absolute blast. There's a lot that I like about this game.

So far my biggest complaint is that it's unstable and crashes a bunch and I keep dying from it.

Beck.6520 (Desolation EU)

I have you as Beck.1872, bug?

Can somebody confirm if 1st person camera is implemented yet pls?

It has not and probably will not be implemented.

I don't know how long until guesting is implemented. Should all really just come play with me. You know I picked a badass server name with some decent lore behind it.

So far my biggest complaint is that it's unstable and crashes a bunch and I keep dying from it.

This is probably my computer more than anything, actually.

Have you guys tried crafting? It's absurdly difficult to get up.
Events are really awesome, though. As is the level scaling mechanism.

Maybe it's just because I've been casually logging in and dicking around, or maybe it's because I am a ditz; but I find the interface kind of confusing compared to regular MMO's. Like I've been confused about how to equip skills, and where, and how the whole weapon specific skills work, and if there other ways to unlock specific skill sets instead of just killing stuff and having it "unlock" overtime

Maybe it's just because I've been casually logging in and dicking around, or maybe it's because I am a ditz; but I find the interface kind of confusing compared to regular MMO's. Like I've been confused about how to equip skills, and where, and how the whole weapon specific skills work, and if there other ways to unlock specific skill sets instead of just killing stuff and having it "unlock" overtime

I was very confused at first too but then I fell in love with the weapon system. It brings great variety to the gameplay to switch to another weapon set sometimes and try new main hand / off hand combinations. And I love how the skills are not connected to your levels, but instead challenges and weapons.

Maybe it's just because I've been casually logging in and dicking around, or maybe it's because I am a ditz; but I find the interface kind of confusing compared to regular MMO's. Like I've been confused about how to equip skills, and where, and how the whole weapon specific skills work, and if there other ways to unlock specific skill sets instead of just killing stuff and having it "unlock" overtime.

*cough*

Profession confuse and infuriate me. And the ****ing bloomtastic post-processing glow'y POS effects that I had to turn off immediately to save my eyes from murky bullshit. Why would they ruin their art style with that crap. At least it was tweakable.

This is probably my computer more than anything, actually.

Have you guys tried crafting? It's absurdly difficult to get up.
Events are really awesome, though. As is the level scaling mechanism.

It runs perfectly fine for me at home. At work I get the odd freeze but that's probably because I'm building a game in the background and the network is secured to hell.

There's a handy guide here about crafting:
http://gaiscioch.com/tavern/guildwars_crafting/post_35198.html#part3

Basically all you want to be doing is discovering new recipes and you'll fly up the crafting levels. There's a lot of stuff in that guide, I've linked to the part that really matters though. Read part B just below where the link starts.

I just dislike their post-processing checkbox. I'd elaborate on other settings, and many of you probably disagree (or just have different setups), but I'm sort of waiting to touch the game again, I'm too damn a.d.d. to deal with all the clutter and learning a new MMO. I'm not sure how I feel about it. The art style feels WAY too busy--but in its moments it's goddamn beautiful. I love the Black Citadel, for instance.

It runs perfectly fine for me at home. At work I get the odd freeze but that's probably because I'm building a game in the background and the network is secured to hell.

There's a handy guide here about crafting:
http://gaiscioch.com/tavern/guildwars_crafting/post_35198.html#part3

Basically all you want to be doing is discovering new recipes and you'll fly up the crafting levels. There's a lot of stuff in that guide, I've linked to the part that really matters though. Read part B just below where the link starts.

Yeah no, I know, it just, there are never enough materials ever. It's really hard to keep it up as you level, without spending like half your free time grinding for vials of blood and claws and everything.

Well I just got it. Downloading now.

If it's good for somewhat being able to pick up and play for a few hours and then stop then I'll be alright.

Love engies. Especially dem Charr Engies.

0BZYW.jpg

Here's my Engie. Still don't know wtf I'm doing but I'm having fun.

hMCdt.jpg

Engineer really is fun as ****, but today as I was doing Ascalonian Catacombs story mode with some guildies I couldn't help feeling underpowered. My damage felt low and I have no idea how much my healing turret helped. What I was doing was basically switching between different weapon sets and spamming all the abilities as well as I could at appropriate moments.

Thinking of creating a guardian or an elementalist to see how they feel.

True that, they feel very much like a "jack of all trades, master of none", but their abilities are so fun that I rarely care.

I made a mesmer, liking it so far I suppose.
Can't help the feeling that it's still really linear, though. I guess that's a side effect of having levels.

YOU SOUND LIKE YOU ARE HAVING A BLAST.

Linear in what way?

It's an open world game, but it's not a "you can do anything, anywhere, anytime" game. There has to be some path of progression.

Played more, did have fun, though. It's certainly not obvious. But it's open world in the same way every other MMO is, until you start thinking about it. There's a linear progression from starting area to ending area. You move from section of area to area as you level up. It gives you a bunch of things to do but it's obvious there's a clear order they came up with beforehand in the terrain and the levels. The platforming is godawful but I have fun with it anyway, because I like godawful platforming.

Does it change after the 1-15 area? I mean, I still think SWG has spoiled me for all these years. I want another level-less mmo.

Still better than most MMOs can do, until Planetside 2 comes out of course.

100%ing all of the low level areas and just exploring, *gasp* actually just enjoying playing the game has kept me pretty occupied and has taken care of any level issues that I may have. Some people are just too used to the old grind and find themselves lacking a direction in the game.

I'm actually really getting into the personal story now. Excited for what lies next!

But the direction is clearly there, that was one of my points. Too there. It has the same progression format as other mmos, it's just put into different wrapping. You can go to old areas, but the moment you try and go somewhere the game doesn't want you to go to yet you're clearly underleveled and it forces you backwards.

The dynamic quests are interesting but obviously not as unique and special as they made them out to seem.

PVP is well done though, one thing Arena has always been good at. No complaints there besides latency.

Well, one of our opposing WvWvW servers somehow got on during maintenance and took everything on the map :\

We're kinda starting to take it back, but I think we're screwed.

Does anyone have any advice on how to set up the controls to work well with the "target" abilities? I think it's a total pain in the ass that they exist in such a format...

Why don't they work like regular targeting? Because whenever you want to use one of those abilities you have to switch from your number-pad to your mouse, which slows you down during battle and also distracts you from the game. I get that they are useful sometimes for like setting up a trap before an enemy reaches it, but the option should be there to just tab-target with those abilities.

Guild Wars 2 has sold over 2 million copies. Also, I found this nifty website, GW2DB, which contains game information packed into a nice searchable table layout, along with a well designed skill calculator.

I've been playing some WvW lately. Had a lot of fun once my world was kind of cooperating. Many players seem to just want to zerg together, attack, claim, and then abandon points on the map. Protip: Winning worlds will defend and hoard supply so that they may upgrade the shit out of their captured locations.

Speaking of winning, Tarnished Coast was just crazy with their playerbase. They had a zerg going of about 100 or so players which just raped everything in their path. They maintained a lot of the Eternal Battlegrounds and fought against the third server, where we were barely holding onto our Boarderland.

That's a really good number considering GW1 sold about 7 million during its lifetime.

I've not had chance to play this week since I've been doing some long hours at work. I'll probably hit 80 this weekend if I do play.

I hit 40, hoping to at least get to 45 this weekend, probably more. I love mesmer.

Tengu expansion when.

Started playing this yesterday and I'm surprised how poorly it runs. Using the specs in my signature and I'm lucky to get 40-45 fps on high settings. Guess I could lower the settings but I should have the power...bah. I just hate how un-smooth it feels.

I have worse hardware than you and it runs flawlessly for me 90% of the time, even in PvP heavy areas. Not sure why you're having trouble.

People assume that since they can run Crysis, that they can run MMOs.

Also, I want to fight Jormag.

Also x2, WvW would be a lot more fun playing with you guys. *cough cough*

I think this is the first MMO where I'm happy to be the slowest leveler ever.

but the moment you try and go somewhere the game doesn't want you to go to yet you're clearly underleveled and it forces you backwards.
I thought one of the nice things about this game was that you could do most battles despite your level if you're simply a skilled enough player. Just what I've heard, haven't played the game.

I think they should give you WvW default armor* that wasn't as good as ones you'd find in a lvl 80 zone but at least you wouldn't be useless in a fight. The only way I've been able to kill anything is by using siege weapons while at the same time I see higher lvl people who can just tank a whole group of people. Not to mention it's impossible to play while your armor is constantly breaking.

I think they should give you WvW default armor* that wasn't as good as ones you'd find in a lvl 80 zone but at least you wouldn't be useless in a fight. The only way I've been able to kill anything is by using siege weapons while at the same time I see higher lvl people who can just tank a whole group of people. Not to mention it's impossible to play while your armor is constantly breaking.

If they gave you a boost to 80, AND level 80 equivalent gear, where's the incentive to level up?

Story, weapons, not to mention the armor isn't as good as normal lvl 80 gear.... And I'm pretty sure you get experience in WvW. It would be a different way to level up. The way the game is designed you could still go back and have fun with the main questline at any level.

EDIT: maybe I wasn't clear enough though. The armor would only be usable in WvW and wouldn't have any upgrades. It just would make it feasible to do WvW at a low lvl.

This is just my solution though... There may be a better way to balance it. I just feel that it isn't fair for the people who like having PvP characters that mean something, even at low levels.

EDIT2: Maybe lvl 80 armor is a bit much too, it could be lvl 50 or so... Just something

Back