Half-Life 2: Episode 1 Details Emerge

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
EA Games has released a facts sheet containing details about Valve’s upcoming Half-Life release, Half-Life 2: Episode 1 (AKA Aftermath). Now, some of this information was a given, but this is coming straight from the big guys themselves:
Half-Life has been named Game of the Year by over 35 organizations worldwide. Half-Life 2: Aftermath is an all-new episode created by Valve that extends the Half-Life 2 single player adventure.[br]The player reprises his role of Dr. Gordon Freeman, who must immediately face the repercussions of his actions in City 17 and the Citadel. Freeman reconnects with Alyx Vance and her robot, Dog, as they continue their support of the resistance's battle against the Combine forces.[br]The intense, real-time gameplay delivered in Half-Life 2: Aftermath is made possible only by Source, Valve's proprietary engine technology which has been enhanced with new rendering technology and advanced artificial intelligence to deliver new levels of graphics and character interaction.
The games system specs were also released today. Half-Life 2: Episode 1 is being developed by Valve Software and the title is slated for an April 24 release date.[br]
1139869267_ep1yay.jpg

First reply ftw! It's what we already knew and expected.

something is wrong with the specs
Min:
2.4 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 level graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard
Internet Connection

Preferred:
1.2 GHz Processor
512 MB RAM
DirectX 9 level graphics card
Windows 2000/XP
Mouse
Keyboard
Internet Connection
How is the min 2.4 Ghz, but the recommend 1.2? is it suppoed to be the other way around?

Deemo said:

How is the min 2.4 Ghz, but the recommend 1.2? is it suppoed to be the other way around?

Uhm... Huh... I think so - That's a big boo-boo!

OMG

-dodo

edit:

"Valve's proprietary engine technology which has been enhanced with new rendering technology and advanced artificial intelligence to... "

is this parralex mapping ?

parralex_mapping.jpg

and is this motion blur ?

motion_blur.jpg

Deemo said:

Yeah, I guess :p

I still think they should have saved resuming Gordon's role for Half-Life 3... that is, if we'll ever see a Half-Life 3 (or anytime soon)... or if everything is going to go Episodic. I'd rather see a new full-blown game. I think it would have been better to pickup the story in a new place/time that would complete the series, w/Gordon, in Half-Life 3, with the last event of HIS being the reactor exploding... and then for the Episodes playing the role of Alyx and/or Barney or another...

oh well. should be fun nonetheless...

Intense story line will appeal to those seeking more than another shooting gallery experience

Awesome :D
Looking forward to 'Episode 1' greatly. No new info, but still.

NEWS WOOOOT! Cant wait for release.

Finally Got Facts Sheet...

Key Selling Points

- A new episode for one of the best-selling action games of all time.
- Reveals new secrets
- Franchise of over 18 million units sold worldwide
- Incredibly advanced Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Highly detailed environments provide amazing gameplay settings
- Digital Actors: The most sophisticated in-game characters ever witnessed
- Physical Gameplay: Objects obey the laws of gravity, friction and buoyancy.
- Intense story line will appeal to those seeking more than another shooting gallery experience

System Requirements

Min:
1.2 GHz Processor*
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 level graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98
Mouse
Keyboard
Internet Connection

Preferred:
2.4 GHz Processor*
512 MB RAM
DirectX 9 level graphics card
Windows 2000/XP
Mouse
Keyboard
Internet Connection

* Originally switched - Probably a typo

What do they mean by enhanced Physical gameplay?? How can you top the gravity gun for physical gameplay?? weird. (And for those with a dirty mind..you need help.)

Ugh!!!!

To be available via Steam
Valve Software today announced that Half-Life 2: Episode 1 will continue the story from the Half-Life 2 single player adventure. Word is "The player reprises his role of Dr. Gordon Freeman, who must immediately face the repercussions of his actions in City 17 and the Citadel. Freeman reconnects with Alyx Vance and her robot, Dog, as they continue their support of the resistance's battle against the Combine forces". Half-Life 2: Episode 1 promises better AI, enhanced physical gameplay, and more (check full article for details).

WHERE IS IT?!!!!

Did it mean the fact sheet? Because I can't find the article.

EDIT: Ah, yes, it means EAs fact sheets.

Raziel-Jcd said:
Ugh!!!!

To be available via Steam
Valve Software today announced that Half-Life 2: Episode 1 will continue the story from the Half-Life 2 single player adventure. Word is "The player reprises his role of Dr. Gordon Freeman, who must immediately face the repercussions of his actions in City 17 and the Citadel. Freeman reconnects with Alyx Vance and her robot, Dog, as they continue their support of the resistance's battle against the Combine forces". Half-Life 2: Episode 1 promises better AI, enhanced physical gameplay, and more (check full article for details).

WHERE IS IT?!!!!

I have it all posted. It was just a Facts Sheet from EA - I checked my email and I have the same thing they had.

-smash- please switch the "1.2 GHz Processor" and the "2.4 GHz Processor" on the fact sheet you posted :D

-dodo

Dodo said:
-smash- please switch the "1.2 GHz Processor" and the "2.4 GHz Processor" on the fact sheet you posted :D

-dodo

Yar! Thanks

bah! just after i go back to uni, maybe i'll conviently pop back home for a weekend :p

I wonder what improvements they made to the AI. I'll be getting this when it's released.

Ooh. It's scheduled for April? I'll be sure to make next November on my calendar, then :p

so why is ea still calling it aftermath? have anyone from this site contacted doug about the name change? you would think something as big as a name change for a hl game would warrant a press release and not just a few words from doug in a poorly written article from gamespot.

I wasn't planning on getting this, but the promise of better A.I. intrests me. I wouldn't call half life 2's A.I. bad, but it didn't impress me like the videos of what they originally promised did. If the A.I. is more like that, I will be getting this. Definately going to wait for some reviews though.

nvrmor said:
so why is ea still calling it aftermath? have anyone from this site contacted doug about the name change? you would think something as big as a name change for a hl game would warrant a press release and not just a few words from doug in a poorly written article from gamespot.
Good point, maybe these details were formalized weeks ago before a name change was.

18 million copies sold worldwide, how many copies of HL1 were sold? It was 8 million copies early 2004 so does that mean that HL2 surpassed Hl1 in sales?

nutcrackr said:
Good point, maybe these details were formalized weeks ago before a name change was.

18 million copies sold worldwide, how many copies of HL1 were sold? It was 8 million copies early 2004 so does that mean that HL2 surpassed Hl1 in sales?

Well keep in mind blueshift, Op force, hl on playstation. etc..

nvrmor said:
so why is ea still calling it aftermath?
That's what I was thought ........... And what the feck has this got to do with EA anyway?!

dogboy73 said:
That's what I was thought ........... And what the feck has this got to do with EA anyway?!
EA is the new retail distributor of Valve's products for quite a while now.

i cant wait just to beat half life 2 again then go to episode 1

Iv beaten it to many times lol. I might just watch the ending and go to ep1. The Sec its released im playing just like HL2. Going to be siting there clicking for 5 mins before release. lol

just when you think they cant come up with a less original name than aftermath, its episode 1! if it has jar jar binks im killing myself.

Hum, EA Games doesn't exist anymore, and you said Half Life rather than Half Life 2.

I don't get how it's Episode 1. Wouldn't Half Life 2 itself be "episode 1" and Aftermath be the second episode of HL2?

It bloody well better not have an unskippable EA Games cutscene at the start.

RakuraiTenjin said:
I don't get how it's Episode 1. Wouldn't Half Life 2 itself be "episode 1" and Aftermath be the second episode of HL2?

It's too long to be episodic (HL2 - 18-20 hours; Aftermath or Episode One - Roughly around six hours). The episodes are referred to as an expansion for Half-Life 2.

Also, why do many people think this?

seems to me that being after the events from half life 2, that the episodic content is called Aftermath as a whole, w/ the first installment being episode one.
thus, creating some monstrosity called "half life 2: Aftermath Episode 1"
or simply aftermath episode 1, aftermath episode 2, etc...

or maybe not...?

Back