Half-Life 2 for Xbox Now Shipping

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score
Half-Life® 2 for the Xbox Game Console has shipped today and will be appearing in stores across the globe in the next few days. [br]

newsspacer.gif
newsspacer.gif
[br]A few online reviews have already been posted on the ole internets:

ahaha, poor George Bush will never live down his catchy one-liners.

Finally I will show my heathen X-box friends the way. Some played it on my computer and thought it was cool but funnily enough they couldn't handle the controls.

Judging by the reviews, it seems that Half-Life 2 is going to be received as well on the Xbox as it was on the PC. Gamespy called it "probably the finest-looking and most atmospheric Xbox game ever made." Take that, Doom 3!

GameSpot gave it an 8.3 and made sure that no multiplayer was well known. I wish they reviewed games on what they actually have, instead of what they don't have.

Sentinelrv said:
GameSpot gave it an 8.3 and made sure that no multiplayer was well known. I wish they reviewed games on what they actually have, instead of what they don't have.

Yeah, isn't that the same score they gave the PC version?

Oh I'm almost sure that Valve will release multiplayer for the game in the XBox version of Aftermath.

On a different subject (but still in the same context), how much is the XBox price gonna drop after Xbox 360 hits (looking for cheap presents here).

-smash- said:
Yeah, isn't that the same score they gave the PC version?
No, they gave the PC version a 9.1, which is still underrated, compared to the 9.4 they awarded Halo 2.
confused.gif

DrkBlueXG said:
Oh I'm almost sure that Valve will release multiplayer for the game in the XBox version of Aftermath.

Something tells me that, unless they can get steam to work on XBOX, there will be no Aftermath for XBOX.

I only wish that this title does well because I know that valve put a ton of money and effort into revamping and optimizing source to work on XBOX. Though part of me is glad that their main efforts are on the PC.

starts with a U, ends with a Y, and the middle 2 letters are G and L

-dodo

Roland Deschain said:
On a different subject (but still in the same context), how much is the XBox price gonna drop after Xbox 360 hits (looking for cheap presents here).

Wow, if I got a normal Xbox instead of a 360 as a gift I would stick it up your ass

gamespot gave it a 9.2. dunno bout halo, but chronicles of riddick a 9.8 i think Riddick was the coolest game ever that nobody played :p

Dalamari said:
Wow, if I got a normal Xbox instead of a 360 as a gift I would stick it up your ass
And I bet you wonder why all your friend's think you're an asshole.

polyguns said:
gamespot gave it a 9.2. dunno bout halo, but chronicles of riddick a 9.8 i think Riddick was the coolest game ever that nobody played :p
QFT. I heard it was the most underrated game of 2004 (or 2005 too lazy to remember)

you prolly won't see aftermath for the 360. gabe is scared shitless of multicore processors from what i hear.

I thought all the screens were tight till the last one, and the low res combine texture. look behind him that wall looks really high res, wonder why downgrading the combine outfit to look so crappy was seen as something to do.

Same game, personally i would rather buy it for 30 bucks for pc, then 50 bucks for an x-box. Wonder how well this will go on x-box?

I can't see them releasing aftermath on Xbox...it's not going to be a long expansion in terms of game hours. If they are going to do a multiplayer game for Xbox then they would opt for CS:Source or DoD:Source. Not being a console jockey I'm not too sure how that would all fit in with XBox live though.

I don't think Gabe is scared of multicore processors, more that he's looking at it from a practicality viewpoint. Rejigging an entire game to run super smoothly on a closed system is a costly exercise in terms of manpower. Ultimately the question is whether it's a good use of your coding resources, because whilst your programmers are having to rework everything they've done before, your going to be cutting your throat when it comes to developing newer technologies. Valve are in the engine creation game same as ID these days, so far they have had a few parties pick up Source licences but they need to keep on advancing it to gain more (the code hack probably cost them several potential licencees..)

They already released Counterstrike for the Xbox (unless my memory fails me), so I suspect they've already got a handle on that.

Pi Mu Rho said:
They already released Counterstrike for the Xbox (unless my memory fails me), so I suspect they've already got a handle on that.
Indeed, Valve already stated that that's the reason they didn't make CS: Source the MP like on the PC version.

Mountain Man said:
And I bet you wonder why all your friend's think you're an asshole.

Nah, I'd stick it up your ass too, that's just tacky.

Judging from the screenshots, it looks like shit.

I don't think counterstrike for the xbox was much of a success either, since there wasn't much of a cs audience there. same case here, imo.

I don't think counterstrike for the xbox was much of a success either, since there wasn't much of a cs audience there. same case here, imo.

What do you mean ?? Your trying to say that most of us here are NOT CS fans ????

Yeah, I thought Hl2 looked rather..meh, on the Xbox, though they can finally taste a good game from their consoles. Even if it is a FPS..they will learn why Halo is such a POS. Unless they are the die hard fanboys like us.

Still more hatred for Halo even though it is a top quality game, why all the hatred :S

Sentinelrv said:
No, they gave the PC version a 9.1, which is still underrated, compared to the 9.4 they awarded Halo 2.
confused.gif
Halo beats hl2, duh .. yesh I am serious

I admit that Halo is an awesome game, but I had never played a FPS that rivaled it, but when I recently played and beat Half Life 2, I realised that Halo and Halo 2 had just met thier match, to me Half life 2 is way better than the halos, its my new fave game. but to each his own.

JAVA said:
I admit that Halo is an awesome game, but I had never played a FPS that rivaled it, but when I recently played and beat Half Life 2, I realised that Halo and Halo 2 had just met thier match, to me Half life 2 is way better than the halos, its my new fave game. but to each his own.

I remember your posts damming HL2, good to see you have come to the darkside ;)

Well, so far, we've heard nothing horrible from HL2 on the Xbox as of yet, even though Gamespot underrates everything (which has been known). Besides, the graphics are fine as far as Xbox goes, I mean it's just a console, not a uber powerful PC (Gameplay>Graphics).

So for the Xbox owners, I think they have a good oppourtunity to get a game with a great reputation. Do I think there could've been more to it than SP? Yes, but unfortunately, I don't make those kinds of calls. I wish everyone would stop this HL/Halo comparison though...it's like beating a dead horse.

Not wanting to go off topic but Halo sucks for one reason. The most horrid storyline I've ever come across. Nothing more needs to be said on the matter.

Anywhoo, now I can bash Xbox users.

TMoney said:
Why the heck didn't they wait and do it for xbox 360?
Because the Xbox 360 is a completely other platform with a revolutionizing memory and processor architecture, which gives it an upper hand on current-generation consoles which renders them obsolete.

That, and they needed the money, so they made it for the most popular console that was known at that time.

:|

i got hl2 and completed it in 715minutes on xbox and its a great game, the game is excellent for the xbox standards which only has 733mhz and 64mb ram. i think they made parts shorter and took places away on this version. i don't have a £5k pc to run hl2 but from the pc vids i saw before release, but they took out parts i was looking forward to, like where one of them giant spider robot things is chasing you through the city and it goes under that bridge between them buildings. all that was shortened to just going outside and shooting down 3/4 of them. but i enjoyed it nonetheless and is now one of my favourite games. as for the guy that said the halo story was shit, you're a gay lol. halo2 is shit but halo1 is a legend:thumbs:

Back