Half-Life 2 Is A Very Short And Easy Game For 5 Discs And 2.5 Gigs

Dog--

The Freeman
Reaction score
WHY?!?

It Is 5 Discs And 2.5 Gigs! It Is SO SHORT, Doom 3 Was 3 Discs And It Was As Long As HL2!!!! It Should Be 50 Times LONGER!!!

WHY SO SHORT?!?!?!?!

The number of discs does not determine the length of the game.

If you want a challenge, play on Hard or download the Substance mod.

And sometimes you must think, it's not the how long something is, it's how much you enjoyed it.

these things called the game's engine, textures, scripts, all kinds of whacky stuff you must not know about...yeah they take up a lot of room. And Doom 3 was less disks because it came in pk4s, which were compressed a lot, and it obviously didnt have as big of an engine and textures and models and stuff.

HL2 was on one disc for me :D. hail dvd's.

short.. ? its as long as, if not longer than your usual fps, it lasted about as long as farcry did, and on hard it lasts for ages. besides you know the saying.. 'time flys when your having fun' ;)

i beat it 2 times on hard, and i guess your right, time does fly when u have fun.

I completed it in about 15 hours. On normal that's an above average length for an action game nowadays, at least for me. :)

Besides, who cares how long a game is when it's so perfectly paced? Max Payne 2 is one of the shortest games I've ever played, but the narrative is so strong that I couldn't care less. On the other hand, we have Doom 3, which is not only a long game but also has quite a lot of repetitive filler material in the middle (imo). I guess it all comes down to what you're looking for in a game, really.

Short or not, it's the best PC game ever. It will get longer with Aftermath!!!

Quake1 was only 1 disc and it took me like 10 or so hours to beat. I think the actual game was under 100mb. Hell I probably spent 20 hours playing Commander Keen. That came on 1 floppy

At least halflife2 was actually playable through the whole game. I got so bored wandering around in the dark in doom 3. HL2 4 teh wins!

half-life is too long. half-life 2 is too short. half-life 3, following logic, should find the right balance.

I totally agree, it was short. When I was on chapter 9 I thought I was on chapter 2! :flame:

Commander Keen! That was like the best. I remember those days... they should remake it with the source engine, for sure!

Muhahahaha said:
Commander Keen! That was like the best. I remember those days... they should remake it with the source engine, for sure!

Commander Keen? Is it a game? I've never heard of it.

wilka91 said:
Short or not, it's the best PC game ever. It will get longer with Aftermath!!!

Yes but we might have to pay some $ again to play that so that doesn't really count.

Took me 20-25 hours to complete, but I explored alot of areas and messed around with the physics.

If you want a long game buy an RPG or RTS. The fact that any action game is short is down to the fact that you can't sustain the level of excitement required for too long otherwise it gets repetitive and boring.

That's why Die Hard wasn't a 3 hour long epic!

Once I got the gravity gun my first time playing hl2 I got sooooo sidetrack and just built forts on the road mission and threw stuff around..

Dog-- said:
Doom 3 Was 3 Discs And It Was As Long As HL2!!!!
Doom 3 is a game of Quantity over Quality, i.e. the same tricks, gimmicks and prefabricated models and textures over and over again.

Half-Life 2 is a game of pure, ever suprising quality, with far more gameplay variety than Doom 3, played out in the same timespan.

The question you should be asking is:

"Why wouldn't Half-Life 2 be twice as good as Doom 3 when it comes on twice as many discs?"

Short !!? It is short if you rush your way through it, but if you explore every nook and cranny it lasts for ages.

I'm playing it through for the 6th time and still finding hidden areas that I didn't know were there. (Like the very first hidden zombie encounter, on Water hazard I think). Take your time!!

You must hurry through it! I was watching my friend play, MY GOD it was slow! "A RUG! I must pick it up! Oh, it's just a texture..", "But I must clear the road completely, what if someone comes after me!", "This buggy is really cool, lets drive around in circles!"... GAH!!!

I Tried to do a Donw Quick Version of It but it was around onli 6 hrs... T_T The Best is 2 hrs and 15 mins and 47 secs... I did like triple that... T_T

I'm playing the doom 3 extra (resurrection of evil) right now, and I gotta tell you, it's exactly the same as the original game so far. I'm am soo bored!! All this long dark rooms, where u can't se shit and then monsters that looks the same and even acts the same (so you learn how to strafe from them) makes it not so great.

I can't wait until the HL2 extra comes out, although I'll probably have to wait a while :/ I liked the environment so much more in HL2 than in Doom 3, in HL2 you where actually walking in daylight, able to see "the hand in front of you".

The fact that HL2 is shorter than Doom 3 (or at least feels like it) doesn't bother me, since HL2 is so much better! :)

I'm actually thinking of uninstall Doom 3 and install HL2 again and start playing mods instead.

OK all you bored people, how about helping an old fart from the underside of the world? I'm in Chapter 3. I've pushed the drums down the hole where the ladder is, made a pile of them and climbed through the hole into the next chamber. Smashed all the wood (I'm getting good at that) in the bottom of the water pit that releases the spools, and end of story.

Am I in the right place, and how do I get to the ledge way up there? Help.

Did you turn the water valve on one of the pipes?

Just hop on the spools to the ledge.

The reason it was 5 disks was CSS. But, lozza, wrong thread....but I'll still answer your Q.

Wait.....I can't, Make a thread about it and post screen shots.

It was much shorter than far cry and it was easier even on hard than farcry on challenging. But joule you are right, it's how much you enjoyed the game. I beat max payne 2 in 3 sittings but i still loved it so you are definately right.

Back