Half Life 2 Raising the Bar (Signed by Gabe Newell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenoobking

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have two pristine, autographed copies of Half Life 2 Raising the Bar books and I would like to hear from you all about how much you think each one is worth. The books have no dirt, creases, bent corners or pages. It’s just how I received it from valve. They have been opened twice, once to verify signature and once for a photograph.

I’m going to auction them on eBay so I need a rough ballpark. I know the regular copies without Gabe Newell’s signature are selling for $250.00 for $400.00 USD so I’m curious to know what some of you people think.

http://umbrellitos.com/hl2/

http://store.valvesoftware.com/productshowcase/productshowcase_HL2Guide.html

I was unaware of a book. Why do they sell for so much?

EDIT: I hope this guy isn't a "one post poster".

Originally they did not sell for much. I purchased two of them for 25.00 each. They have increased in price because they were limited editions and they do not sell or make them anymore.

Im sure they sold thousands of them. But only a select number of them were actually signed by Gabe Newell himself. I was lucking enough to get two of them before they sold out.

Off to wikipedia, I go.

wow signed by Gabe himself ...I'll give you a buck fiddy!

Regular editions are selling for like, 180 tops.

I have a HL2 T-shirt signed by Gabe Newell...need to keep hold of that :D

Who's down for an Ocean's Eleven-like scheme to snatch the gold crowbar from Valve's office?

I love Gabe... but his signature means nothing to me.

The signatures of all the other creators of Half-Life and Half-Life 2 would be more valuable to me.

But even those, not so much.

How much would you pay for a copy signed by me Raz?

Lol. Who knew Gabe was a celebrity. Paying $400 for his signature is absolutely insane.

I have a copy of the book, no signature. I'd like to get it signed, though.

I got my Alyx Vance poster signed by Merle Dandridge, i asked her in an E-mail and she agreed and did it for me.

I've also E-mailed Gabe asking if i send my Half-Life 2 poster if he and everyone at Valve would sign it, and he said don't bother sending the poster i'll send you one with as many signatures as i can, and he did.
It's surprising how nice they are when you just ask them.

Yeah, I still have the poster they sent me for free when I emailed asking for one (this was before HL2 came out, when people were getting free posters left and right and that random dude from hl2.net got to visit Valve), and they sent 3 posters to a friend (HL2, CS, and DOD)... not sure why he got more, but he did ask for stickers as well so maybe they felt bad that they didn't have any stickers :p. I recall them sending out free posters even after they started selling posters via Steam, which is incredibly nice.

Sadly I didn't get my poster signed. Too shy to ask.

As for the Raising the Bar book... it'd be nice to have but I definitely wouldn't pay $100 for it, even if I weren't low on cash.

Yeah, I still have the poster they sent me for free when I emailed asking for one (this was before HL2 came out, when people were getting free posters left and right and that random dude from hl2.net got to visit Valve), and they sent 3 posters to a friend (HL2, CS, and DOD)... not sure why he got more, but he did ask for stickers as well so maybe they felt bad that they didn't have any stickers :p. I recall them sending out free posters even after they started selling posters via Steam, which is incredibly nice.

Sadly I didn't get my poster signed. Too shy to ask.

As for the Raising the Bar book... it'd be nice to have but I definitely wouldn't pay $100 for it, even if I weren't low on cash.
Spitcodfry's epic visit to Valve... dose was da days...

I want to get my Fallout 3 poster signed by Mikael.

Hold onto RtB a bit longer, bring it out of storage around Episode 3 launch if you really want to sell it.

I'm not intending to sell mine any time soon. I'll wait till after WW3, when there are only 5 copies left on earth!

am i the only person who doesn't like RtB? I was expecting to see much more information about Half-Life, Half-Life 2 and their development. :(

...not to mention how people try to recreate what they see on the book (millions of same thing!) - still it's a nice read for fans

am i the only person who doesn't like RtB? I was expecting to see much more information about Half-Life, Half-Life 2 and their development. :(

...not to mention how people try to recreate what they see on the book (millions of same thing!) - still it's a nice read for fans
Making-of books don't have the same appeal as Art-of books. Information is the same no matter what kind of cover it's presented with, or paper it's on, and we have all we're ever likely to know via the gamespot 'final days of' articles.

that's why I feel cheated - the stuff they put on book were already available on the internet. i wish they had a larger part for original half-life, perhaps a section for gearbox games (instead of useless cs/dod part, i hate that part).

Hold onto RtB a bit longer, bring it out of storage around Episode 3 launch if you really want to sell it.

I'm not intending to sell mine any time soon. I'll wait till after WW3, when there are only 5 copies left on earth!

And not enough money left to buy a single copy.

I love my copy, actually. The things they cut from the final product are really interesting.

I know the regular copies without Gabe Newell’s signature are selling for $250.00 for $400.00 USD
Jesus Christ, really? Are they rare or something?

I went on ebay and I didn't see any going for nearly that much. If they were, part of me would be tempted to sell my copy.

It'd go toward a computer to play Half-Life anyway, so I wouldn't feel bad about it.

Why would anyone pay $400 for a signed copy of RTB? You would have to be mad.
It's cheaper to buy a regular copy and ask Gabe to sign it for you which he will.

I got my Alyx Vance poster signed by Merle Dandridge, i asked her in an E-mail and she agreed and did it for me.

I've also E-mailed Gabe asking if i send my Half-Life 2 poster if he and everyone at Valve would sign it, and he said don't bother sending the poster i'll send you one with as many signatures as i can, and he did.
It's surprising how nice they are when you just ask them.

Speaking of this, where can I find Gabes email or anyone else from Valve?

Tenacious, check Valve's website, most of their emails are listed on the staff page.

I expect you could get a few hundred bucks for it.

I goddamn love my copy of RTB, won't ever sell it, but I really should consider sending it in to Valve to see if they won't sign it...

The books are selling for that much, sure, but has anybody actually bought the book for even near that much, yet?

I still have mine and I plan on keeping it forever. I bought it when they were for sale here in Europe.

Got my copy for Christmas in '04. It's mint. I'd sell it if the price was right, but I think I'll be holding onto it for a while.

I've got mine, but if I ever put it up for sale, I'd be amazed if someone bought it for anything more than 40 bucks.

It's a good little book, and I like it!

Reminds me of a Final Fantasy 7 walk through I had back in the day. It was probably one of my favorite ones, and best written, and it is worth quite a pretty penny. Too bad I was a kid and didn't take care of it. It was missing so many pages :(

i don't think i would ever ask somebody for their signature unless they did something incredible. (I.E. discovered the cure for my ****ing asthma)

although, i suppose if that were my doctor I could always live with the asthma and keep the prescription. :)

:|

;( i hate asthma

Wow, it's actually worth something?

Well, I probably won't ever sell it though. :) I have a little bookcase where I keep signed things (Gabe signed RtB and HL2 hat, Lead QA guy @ Activision signed Doom3, and entire dev team signed Shadowrun).

why did you bump this? there's always one available for sale...

oh it's yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back