Half-Life 2 Short Stories News

AciD

Reaction score
The Half-Life 2 Short Stories team have announced their third short story - Midnight Sun. This is their third chapter in the series being developed, the other two we've previously mentioned being Human Error and Paradigm Decay.
Midnight Sun puts players in the role of a mercenary employed by an elusive third-party to unearth the corporate secrets of one of Black Mesa's competitors ? now being plundered by the Combine in a blasted, remote wilderness.
[br]You will be glad to know that Midnight Sun is created by our local resident Pi-Mu-Rho. Progress on HLSS and their other episodes can been found on the Half-Life Short Stories website.

Lobster

The Freeman
Reaction score
I love the single player modding community around Half-Life, especially the realisticly achievable ideas like this, HLSS kinda reminds me of ProjectQuantumLeap from the HL1 days, (only bigger), a group of separate projects in a singular collaboration, I wish there were more like it.

Are you guys seeking any help with anything?, I am mainly a mapper so I guess you have enough of those, how are you for testers?

btw. I like the idea of using a time lapse to showcase map progression.

Sliver

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Saw Pi playing this for a couple minutes off and on for the last couple months. Now I know what it is. Very excited for these three. Christmas couldn't come soon enough.

Reflex

Spy
Reaction score
is this like a carry on for half life 2 like blue shift and opposing force for HL1?

Hunter-Killer

Reaction score
If you don't get it just leave already.
Wow, so informative and helpful. God forbid people who come to forums and ask questions! ;)

Always nice to see single player mods in the work, hopefully this should be good.

Pi Mu Rho

ValveTime Admin | Enemy of fun
Staff member
Reaction score
is this like a carry on for half life 2 like blue shift and opposing force for HL1?
No, it's a singleplayer mod set in the HL2 universe with an entirely different protagonist. And big beams of light.

Kyorisu

Tank
Reaction score
Hey nifty video. Completely different approach to the way I did/do things.

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
:O
Another one. Is there any projected release for PD and HE other than "when it's done"?

Pi Mu Rho

ValveTime Admin | Enemy of fun
Staff member
Reaction score
PD and HE (and MS for that matter) are technically separate projects with some overlap. At this stage, "when it's done" is the only way it's even remotely quantifiable.

Insano

Tank
Reaction score
Saw Pi playing this for a couple minutes off and on for the last couple months. Now I know what it is. Very excited for these three. Christmas couldn't come soon enough.
Same here. I asked Pi what it was, but he couldn't be arsed to respond.

Reflex

Spy
Reaction score
Woow great, i reckon it works better when u fast forward it manually :p

herbster

Reaction score
I hate to be a stickler, but the site mentioned the time-lapse as if it was game feature. Or atleast that's how it seemed to me. Left me a little confused at first.

It's still pretty cool and, judging by the talent involved, I am sure this mod will be great. And it's single player, which would be enough for me anyways.

Y

Yorick

Are you guys seeking any help with anything?, I am mainly a mapper so I guess you have enough of those, how are you for testers?
All set on testers at the moment, but Au-heppa might still be looking for mappers. Drop off an application on the forums, even if we don't need anyone now, we will at some point. We've got a lot lined up. :)

I hate to be a stickler, but the site mentioned the time-lapse as if it was game feature. Or atleast that's how it seemed to me. Left me a little confused at first.
Samon with the fail. There might be some game feature related to time things, but you'll have to wait and see. ;)

Asknoone

Reaction score
Sorry about that misunderstanding herbster – Midnight Sun doesn't actually involve any kind of time-lapse; it's purely an aesthetic/mapping thing. That said, Paradigm Decay, and subsequent installments of that, will definitely feature some time-distorting shenanigans.

Asuka

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Damn this is looking pretty damn nice.

ZoFreX

Spy
Reaction score
Awesome! First time I've ever seen some of Pi's work, I remember him saying he was gonna do something many moons ago...

Reaction score
Not digging it for some reason.

Hells Angel

Reaction score
I like it. The last map of Pi's i saw would have been Zombie Master. All i can say is the quality has certainly improved :)

herbster

Reaction score
... That said, Paradigm Decay, and subsequent installments of that, will definitely feature some time-distorting shenanigans.
Ooooh. Exciting news! Will be watching this with great relish. Thanks for the response. Nice to be noticed occasionally. :p