Half-life 2 Short Stories Update

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
We brought you news on this mod back in August, a modification with 3 planned episodes which will be linked via a twisted plot. The first of which is called Paradigm Decay, however the team have released a gameplay video of another episode called Human Error. Alongside this update they have a new website and forums which you can find here. See below for the video introducing some old friends, including the alien grunts and controllers.[br]
<div align="center"><object ><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jl42zwS_AGU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jl42zwS_AGU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" ></embed></object></div>

Haha, I miss those hive hand grunts, but whats with the vort slaughter, The Magnusson Society For Xeno Rehabilitation wont be pleased.

You are playing as a Civil Protection officer and the vorts are part of the baddies.

If you are playing as a CP officer, the first person hands need updating.

They have been updated. Only some few models like grenade, etc. remain to be edited.

Looking nice. :E

I assume the levels aren't quite finished yet though?

This was pretty nice, but I'm hoping the enemies don't take that many bullets to kill in the end, and that the effects for the attacks of controller are only placeholders.

What? You dont like the orange and gray textures?

BOY THAT PROJECT SURE IS SEXY I WONDER WHO'S WORKING ON IT. THEY MUST BE AWESOME.*

*proven scientific fact

Nice, I have been particularly paying attention to this mod. Looking forward to playing it!

Are the Alien Controller flames just placeholders? I don't recall them shooting fire, only energy beams.

Is that the final grunt model? Where's the armour? D=

It's not a final model, but right now there is no plan to add any armour. There isn't just any satisfying concepts that would look good on him, plus he wouldn't fit in while the Vortigaunts and Alien Controllers are not wearing any armour.

Only guessing, but as you are meant to be playing a Combine Soldier the Alien Grunts had armor (like the Vortigaunts) which was the Combines, so I guess they don't have it because they are free?

The Alien Grunt armour wasn't Combine.

As far as I know it was, what do you think it was? If you look back at Half-Life most of the "main" creatures had what seemed to be "shackles" or some kind of armor which is lead to believe that the Combine (who were in control of Xen) had "modified" the creatures, much like the Nihilanth at the end, which clearly had what seemed like the Citadel jammed up his butt.

As far as I know it was, what do you think it was? If you look back at Half-Life most of the "main" creatures had what seemed to be "shackles" or some kind of armor which is lead to believe that the Combine (who were in control of Xen) had "modified" the creatures, much like the Nihilanth at the end, which clearly had what seemed like the Citadel jammed up his butt.

It was not Combine materials.

IIRC the Alien Grunt armor was actually exoskeleton. Although I can't currently find anything to back that up.

It's not a final model, but right now there is no plan to add any armour. There isn't just any satisfying concepts that would look good on him, plus he wouldn't fit in while the Vortigaunts and Alien Controllers are not wearing any armour.
But Controllers and Vortigaunts aren't dedicated soldiers. Grunts on the other hand appear to be. There's also the arguement that it's an exoskeleton.

Edit: I just noticed the Controllers have telekinesis. Nice touch.

It was not Combine materials.

(Without sounding rude) Then what is it? It looks very Combine to me. :) Also, we are just talking about the Grunt, not the "Slaves" 'cause that has to be Combine as you see in Nova Prospect the Combine "torturing" a Vorty with the shackles back on.

(Without sounding rude) Then what is it? It looks very Combine to me. :) Also, we are just talking about the Grunt, not the "Slaves" 'cause that has to be Combine as you see in Nova Prospect the Combine "torturing" a Vorty with the shackles back on.

You'll find the combine took a lot of technology from other races. It could be that some of the combine technology originated from the same place as the grunt's armour.

http://www.halflife2.net/forums/showthread.php?t=114535

Yes, that's fairly accurate, and I'm pretty sure Doug was restating something I'd told him; I [am not] clarifying it, since it's the foundation on which the series continues. What we saw in HL1 was the very end of a long struggle between the Combine and the last of the Nihilanth's race...although it's a bit different than the word "prompted" implies. The Nihilanth's "world" (if it could be said to have) was long since in the past as far as the Nihilanth was concerned; Xen was their final retreat, and they had their back to the wall, as it were, when the fissure appeared that let them spill into our dimension. Xen itself is sort of a dimensional transit bottleneck--an area of continual contention.

Still fighting the good fight, Rimfire? A true warrior - a true servant of the cause. He never wavered.

Back