Portal 2 Co-op Trailer 2

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
In case you missed the short co-op trailer presented this week at the annual Video Game Awards 2010, Valve have now released their high definition trailer for distribution showing the co-op androids, Atlas and P-body getting ready for testing. Not much new to see but worth a look.[br]A quick reminder that Portal 2 is due for launch on Playstation 3, Xbox 360, PC and the Mac the week of April 18.[br]

<object ><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kphyl9-ay2k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kphyl9-ay2k?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" ></embed></object>​

I like the names "Atlas and P-body"- suits 'em

not much out of this footage though.

"April 18"? I thought it was gonna be released in February.

A bit too Disney-Pixar-goofy for me, but doesn't bother me that much.

Valve and Pixar need to make a movie already.

I think Valve could easily make a "Direct-To-Steam" set of movies, cause I know not much of the general public would go see a "Valve Film". That and they don't have to keep a release schedule :p

I think Valve could easily make a "Direct-To-Steam" set of movies, cause I know not much of the general public would go see a "Valve Film". That and they don't have to keep a release schedule :p

People say this about Blizzard as well. They do make awesome trailers and teasers. I'm somewhat ambivolent about it. I think it's the potential, the idea that they could is what is really alluring about it. We get teased with these amazing little videos, and we always want more. But if they were to make a full movie, it would satiate us, and that would be it; we'd be craving something else and we wouldn't enjoy the teases anymore. Our attention would have drifted onto other things.

Maybe that's not inherrently a Bad Thing. But I prefer being teased by such talented people as Valve and Blizzard.

They do make awesome trailers and teasers.

Teasers and trailers are light years from full-length movies. Take a talented music video director and 90/100 he will not be able to make a decent movie.

Teasers and trailers are light years from full-length movies. Take a talented music video director and 90/100 he will not be able to make a decent movie.
This is true, but Valve have choreographed and scripted of entire games, which are longer than movies.

This is true, but Valve have choreographed and scripted of entire games, which are longer than movies.

Ok, but with movies we are talking about plot, story, writing. It's not only a matter of good animations and nice looking characters.

Ok, but with movies we are talking about plot, story, writing. It's not only a matter of good animations and nice looking characters.

So like HL2 then. (Oh wow, plot and story?)

People say this about Blizzard as well.
But in that case they're wrong. Blizzard cinematics are OTT and cheesy as hell.

But in that case they're wrong. Blizzard cinematics are OTT and cheesy as hell.

I guess they are. But then this particular Portal trailer isn't so different. It's...quirky. I'm not sure how to describe it. Maybe Blizzard cinematics are trying too hard and that's the difference. But I do enjoy them all the time.

I'm sure Valve could put together a team to make a film without any trouble (They could hire extra people after all). But I feel like, either it would never live up to expectations, or if it did, it would spoil the enjoyment we get from the teasers.

Having said that I think I would actually enjoy a short film of maybe 10 or 15 minutes.

Well, in my opinion the plot in HL2 is not so brilliant. The same old dystopian world. The same old alien invasion. The same old "one man leading the resistance". Good for a shooter, not for a movie. (imo)

By the way, making (good) movies is a difficult task. Professional writers and directors are needed. People that know what they are doing. I think that videogames' industry should stay away from such a different form of art.

Back