Portal 2 Pre-orders Begin + Valentines Video + Steam Release Date

Hectic Glenn

Site Director
Staff member
Reaction score
You can now pre-order Portal 2 through the Steam Store at a 10% discount ($44.99 / ?26.99) which also comes with a free copy of Portal! Head on over to the Portal 2 website now where you can find a list of retailers taking pre-orders for Portal 2. Remember with the PS3 version you also get a PC version of the game too!
Special pre-order offers vary at participating outlets around the world and include a variety of dollars off and/or exclusive in-game content for those who reserve the game for purchase before it is released the week of April 18. These include $5 off the full price, exclusive in-game skins for the coop bots (Atlas and P-body), and more. Check your favorite outlet for details.
In the Valentine's day spirit, Valve have also released a very funny Portal themed gift buying guide video as seen below.[br]
<object ><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w5I3VnCHWsU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w5I3VnCHWsU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" ></embed></object>​
[br]The current retail release dates are set as 18/04 (NA), 22/04 (EU) & 21/4 (AUS), however according to Erik Johnson in an email to our own Nick0123, the Steam release date is to be 'simultaneous worldwide' and therefore likely to fall on the 18th April.[br]Update: System Requirements Released:[br]OS: Windows 7 / Vista / XP[br]
Processor: 3.0 GHz P4, Dual Core 2.0 (or higher) or AMD64X2 (or higher)[br]Memory: 1GB XP / 2GB Vista[br]Hard Disk Space: At least 7.6 GB of Space[br]Video: Video card must be 128 MB or more and should be a DirectX 9-compatible with support for Pixel Shader 2.0b (ATI Radeon X800 or higher / NVIDIA GeForce 7600 or higher / Intel HD Graphics 2000 or higher)[br]Audio: DirectX 9.0c compatible

Like the video. Now I just need to decide if just having the box for the PS3 version is worth the five extra dollars.

the Steam release date is to be 'simultaneous worldwide' and therefore likely to fall on the 18th April.

So let me work this out *calculating Valve time*

So us guys in the UK will receive the game at 12:00 midday on the 19th :p

I think Valve should make a management game on the iOS platform that revolves around the stick people in the Portal Trailers

So let me work this out *calculating Valve time*

So us guys in the UK will receive the game at 12:00 midday on the 19th :p

Valve releases are usually Midnight on their release date in Valve time. Seattle is GMT -8, meaning we get it around 8am, pretty sweet.

I'll probably get a boxed PC version as it'll probably be a couple of quid cheaper than buying it direct from Steam. Unless Steam gets some super pre-order bonus.

I don't get why the two-pack is just as expensive as buying two individually if you ignore the preorder discounts.

I love Steam... $40 in a two pack? I'm also happy Valve didn't start jacking up to $60 like all the other people out there.

I already pre-ordered for PS3 at EB Games over a week ago. Not buying on Steam this time around.

The video is cute. '4/5 people are crushed by diamonds everyday.'

I need to check my bank balance after an expensive valentine's day dinner, but that two pack is deffinitely getting bought at some point.

£30 was exactly the price I was expecting to pay, the 10% discount is just the icing on the cake!

Wait! Yesterday it was 49.99 Euros. Now they fixed the price to 37.99 Euros. A glitch in the pricing system made me think of an overpriced game.

Wait! Yesterday it was 49.99 Euros. Now they fixed the price to 37.99 Euros. A glitch in the pricing system made me think of an overpriced game.

Seeing how 50 euros is something like 400 million USD these days I can see how that would be overpriced.

Still fifty euro for me :\

Y'all have to stop complaining, I'm paying $120 for this game, & I couldn't care less, VALVe deserve every cent they get.

Love the physics in the video, but not enough to pre-order the game. I'll wait for the reviews.

I won't pay for another Valve game til we here some real news about ep3.
That's coming from someone who the Silver Pack,Orange Box on Steam and boxed copies of CS and Hl1+add ons

Gonna work out a PS3/Steam copy with an amigo. Haven't payed over $30+ for a game in a long time. Very excited.

Well, Portal 2 is longer and more complex than Portal, so a higher price is justified. Maybe I am accustomed to Valve games being usually cheaper.

Same. However, the price of games has gone up as it is the past few years. 40$ compared to 30 seems fair.

I always wonder how this game is going to fair outside of people who played portal 1. Guess well seeish.

That's coming from someone who the Silver Pack,Orange Box on Steam and boxed copies of CS and Hl1+add ons

You hear that sound?

Yeah, it's the sound of Valve not caring while they continue to work in a building made of money, at desks made of money and on computers constructed entirely out of money.

I've already bought Portal 2 and I'll continue to buy Valve games regardless of whether they give some real news about Ep3.
That's coming from someone who owns every Valve game available and plays them all to death.

Yeah Episode 3 will be an amazing game. But Portal 2 will also be an amazing game, I can wait.

You hear that sound?

Yeah, it's the sound of Valve not caring while they continue to work in a building made of money, at desks made of money and on computers constructed entirely out of money.

I lol'd

on g2play you can pre-order for 30€ :D

btw can you update the first post with the min system recommandation that has been released :p

Think I'll wait until it hits 20-30 on Amazon.

Think I'll wait until it hits 20-30 on Amazon.

I think I'll do the same. I bought the Orange Box on release day, but now I am a much more patient guy. I can play Portal 2 on summer days.

Also, Amazon just opened in Italy with sweet offers and discounts.

Yeah and then show up in 6 months like "hey everyone let's talk about how cool Portal 2 is"

That's how I roll. Unless of course Half Life 2.net has a Portal 2 competition, WINK WINK WINK.

All I know is, a big part of being a member on hl2.net is being around for the big Valve releases. There's nothing quite like it and sharing in the experience.

Yeah and then show up in 6 months like "hey everyone let's talk about how cool Portal 2 is"

Who's to say we won't be talking about it even after six months? WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE.

Back