Half Life 2 Trouble

P

PseudoInnominate

I've been to plenty of other forums, and I have an open ticket with Steam, no one has been able to help me so far. I sure hope you all have some ideas.

Here goes-

Here is all the information I've got on the problem thus far-

So I bought the game, installed it, updated, and now it crashes at the load screen (sometimes). If I am lucky and can get past the load screen, it ALWAYS crashes when I'm at the start a new game load screen. Sometimes a few bars in, sometimes halfway, sometimes at the end. And it doesn't really crash, it hangs and I can't do anything.

Yes I meet the system requirements.
Yes I updated my firewall to except HL2 (I even tried turning it off)
Yes I tried changing my resolution

System specs-

P4 HT 3.00 gig
1 gig ram
Radeon 9600 128 mb
Creative Soundblaster ZS
2 gigs left of HD space

CS Source works fine
Halflife 2 deathmatch works fine

Update...

I got past the load screen, and I watched the intro (G man talking), it then went to the game where your in the tram. As soon as the tram stops and the doors start to open the game minimized and put me to my desktop, no error message. So I clicked the game in the taskbar to open it back up and there was no video, only horrible skipping sound that I couldn't make out, I guess it was people talking.

I opened the game back up, started a new game again, and this time once it was done loading the loading message got all messed up (kind of like an old school nintendo game when it messes up) and it froze. I was able to minimize and quit though.

Update-

I just installed beta drivers fior my soundblaster and I'm installing a .NET framework update just in case. I have CAT 5.9 drivers for my video card.

Also, this is in my console when I load the game-
(not sure if it is a problem, can only see it when I open the console)

--- Missing Vgui material vgui/steam/games/icon_hl2mp
--- Missing Vgui material vgui/servers/icon_secure_deny

Update-

Now it will not even load the game.

It gets stuck loading at different points, and when I close the program I get the error-

Dumprep.exe- Application Error

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000012d). Click OK to terminate the application.

I guess Half Life just does not like to load. I try to load the game and it screws up 90% of the time, and when I am able to play in game the game freezes at load points. I don't get it =/

Update-

I just validated my Steam files and defagged, no change. Freed up some harddrive space, I now have 8 gigs of free space as opposed to the 2 before.

Update-

I uninstalled my cat drivers, and uninstalled HL2.

Updated my CAT driver (now 5.12) and reinstalled HL2, but I took my network cable out to see how the game runs without being updated.

I worked perfect (better than before, except the sound suttering, that sucked) right up until I tried to save. Quick save worked fine, but I wanted to try and save manually right before the load point (after you meet Barney). When I treid to save the game froze, but before it did I copied something from my console in case it has any use-

execing skill.cfg
Found multiple fog controllers in the same level.
Dead end link: pod_player24
Dead end link: pod_track_R_07
Dead end link: pod_track_L_08
Game started
Initializing renderer...
Failed to load sound "ambience/wind1.wav", file probably missing from disk/repository

Wrote 'screenshots/d1_trainstation_010002.jpg': 3.69 Mb (1280x960) compresssed (quality 90) to 167.5

The bolded parts are what concern me.. I'm going to update via steam and see what happens next.

After updating-

Console (after the menu screen load)

--- Missing Vgui material vgui/steam/games/icon_hl2mp
--- Missing Vgui material vgui/servers/icon_secure_deny

Console (after starting a new game)

Dead end link: pod_player24
Dead end link: pod_track_R_07
Dead end link: pod_track_L_08
Game started
Initializing renderer...
Warning: using WorldTwoTextureBlend on a non-displacement surface (material: nature/red_grass_thin). Support for this will go away soon.
Failed to load sound "ambience/wind1.wav", file probably missing from disk/repository
Wrote 'screenshots/d1_trainstation_010007.jpg': 3.69 Mb (1280x960) compresssed (quality 90) to 178.83 Kb

As for the game itself...

Loading initially seems to not be a problem anymore, but the game is still very crash and freeze prone. I can't play very long without a crash or freeze.

Back