half life 2 update

alphadec

Reaction score
When I bought half life 2 (DVD)when I bought the dvd I loved it, but now they have done a massive update to the game.

I think these changes valve have done have destroyd the gameplay. Since they have changed so much. Before it was very easy but at the same time it was more like a "beutiful game" to play now it is more like duke nukem...

Why have they done this. ?

How can I install the hl2 that I did buy and NOT RECIVE THE GAME UPDATE. ?

How is it in any way like Duke Nukem? I don't really understand your comment. In any case:
Once a game is updated you can stop it from updating further by right clicking-> properties -> updates -> do not automatically update. I'm not sure if this will work in the case of a fresh install though.

I think it's going to update when you install, so I'm not sure if it's possible. I don't know if the gameplay has been affected seriously, but there were some odd changes that appeared to be an unintentional result of trying to update the engine. I decided against playing through it again for this reason and due to other errors or changes that people have complained about that aren't very appealing to me.

I think it's going to update when you install, so I'm not sure if it's possible. I don't know if the gameplay has been affected seriously, but there were some odd changes that appeared to be an unintentional result of trying to update the engine. I decided against playing through it again for this reason and due to other errors or changes that people have complained about that aren't very appealing to me.

I have just installed on a new pc! so I just had to also install hl2, but u can't stopp the update. Wish I just could the version they did release on the dvd since that is what I did buy it.

The change must have been to subtle for me to notice it. Exactly what has changed, gameplay-wise?

They updated stuff to episode 2 level. New vortigaunts, red eyed shotgun soldiers and hdr. Unfortunately some scripted scenes broke. Eg, during the Red Letter Day teleport scene Breen just sits still instead of moving. Don't know if that's fixed yet. I don't know of any gameplay changes and the Duke Nukem comparison confuses me.

It stands for High Dynamic Range, a rendering technique that wasn't in the source engine when hl2 was released.

And to the original poster, you cwazy. There arent any gameplay changes that would make it act the way you describe it.

Are you trolling? Comparing HL2 to Duke Nukem is high treason. HL2 is on a whole other level from DN. DN is all exposition of violence, crude humor, and the exploitation and objectification of women (which can be fun to play but has no real value at all). HL2 is high quality SciFi story, with strong social narratives and powerful and REALISTIC characters. (Did they give Alyx double D's in the update?... NO! NO they did not! ANd they won't because Valve has integrity and they respect their characters... especially one as wonderful as Alyx)

I'll stop my reaction here before I go into full fury mode.

I all the changes I've noticed have simply made the game better, and I haven't seen any major changes to core gameplay to justify your reaction.

Full... furry mode?

Dear God.
No yiffing allowed here.

edit: Only gays edit their posts without a witty retort.

Alyx is not that well of a written character
Yes, I said it
She may be a god of female characters in Videogaming, but she'd be a laughing stock in a book, for example

For that matter, the same can be said about every character except G-Man and maybe Father Grigori, as I guess a cool writter could make the whole thought process of Father Grigori make him a very compelling character in a book

Well, in a book, unless it was written in second person, Alyx would have the advantage of being able to have more of her backstory/motivations/etc. explained in a way that didn't feel forced or like some kind of random infodump. I don't think the problem is necessarily that the characters in Half-Life aren't well-written; it's that the story is told in such a limited way that it's really hard to develop people within the pace set by the game.

That said, I still think that Alyx is a wonderful piece of writing in any medium simply because she's not a stone-cold snarky action chick. Most writers trying to come up with a woman to put in a post-apocalyptic, action-fueled nightmare world, especially one whose target demographic was younger males, would probably have gone that route with her (and it seems like that's how she started out, from what I've seen of the beta material), but when you stop and think about it, the optimistic, childish personality she ended up with fits her upbringing wonderfully. Since she was three or four at the most when the Black Mesa Incident occurred, she can't remember much of what the world was like before everything got all horrible, so she can't have much to bitterly compare her lifestyle to, aside from maybe a wee smidge of dead mom angst. She had a father who loved her dearly and did his best to make sure she was reasonably well taken care of. She has a kickass pet robot who regularly picks her up and hugs her. There is no reason for fanservicy coldness here. Sure, you have plenty of anger at the state of the world, but that's a healthy emotional response to seeing what the refugees from Combine-controlled cities have gone through, not to mention the stalkers and transhuman soldiers. As for the fact that Alyx acts like a kid in a much older body, that can be attributed to the fact that she grew up in a society where the main concern was merely surviving. There was no social structure to pressure her to grow up or "act her age" or any of that; as long as she didn't endanger herself or anyone else through her behavior, I can't see anyone really caring about it at all. Eli especially was probably happy enough that she was there. With that much positive reinforcement and probably very little negative feedback, Alyx's characteristic lack of emotional maturity makes perfect sense. And the fact that all of this lines up so well is, to me, anyway, a sign of excellent writing.

Also, one has to keep in mind that, as a character in this story ourselves, we've only known Alyx for four days, during which we've seen her in pretty much the same situations over and over again. Of course she's still a flat character at this point -- character is developed by reaction to a wide variety of different events. Episode Two was definitely a turning point, though, and I can only assume we'll see even more character development if Episode Three (or whatever the next installment of Half-Life ends up being) ever gets around to existing, even within the limited scope of the gameplay.

Alyx's character is perfect for a sidekick. She is relatively playful and talkative which significantly lifts the mood in the game since Gordon is always silent. Her involvement in the game is irreplaceable. For example Barney as a permanent follower would make sense in combat as he is a trained security personnel, but he would never be as flexible and quick minded as what we portray Alyx's character to be. I don't think he could hack, climb walls make important decisions as well as she would.

Well, in a book, unless it was written in second person, Alyx would have the advantage of being able to have more of her backstory/motivations/etc. explained in a way that didn't feel forced or like some kind of random infodump. I don't think the problem is necessarily that the characters in Half-Life aren't well-written; it's that the story is told in such a limited way that it's really hard to develop people within the pace set by the game.

That said, I still think that Alyx is a wonderful piece of writing in any medium simply because she's not a stone-cold snarky action chick. Most writers trying to come up with a woman to put in a post-apocalyptic, action-fueled nightmare world, especially one whose target demographic was younger males, would probably have gone that route with her (and it seems like that's how she started out, from what I've seen of the beta material), but when you stop and think about it, the optimistic, childish personality she ended up with fits her upbringing wonderfully. Since she was three or four at the most when the Black Mesa Incident occurred, she can't remember much of what the world was like before everything got all horrible, so she can't have much to bitterly compare her lifestyle to, aside from maybe a wee smidge of dead mom angst. She had a father who loved her dearly and did his best to make sure she was reasonably well taken care of. She has a kickass pet robot who regularly picks her up and hugs her. There is no reason for fanservicy coldness here. Sure, you have plenty of anger at the state of the world, but that's a healthy emotional response to seeing what the refugees from Combine-controlled cities have gone through, not to mention the stalkers and transhuman soldiers. As for the fact that Alyx acts like a kid in a much older body, that can be attributed to the fact that she grew up in a society where the main concern was merely surviving. There was no social structure to pressure her to grow up or "act her age" or any of that; as long as she didn't endanger herself or anyone else through her behavior, I can't see anyone really caring about it at all. Eli especially was probably happy enough that she was there. With that much positive reinforcement and probably very little negative feedback, Alyx's characteristic lack of emotional maturity makes perfect sense. And the fact that all of this lines up so well is, to me, anyway, a sign of excellent writing.

Also, one has to keep in mind that, as a character in this story ourselves, we've only known Alyx for four days, during which we've seen her in pretty much the same situations over and over again. Of course she's still a flat character at this point -- character is developed by reaction to a wide variety of different events. Episode Two was definitely a turning point, though, and I can only assume we'll see even more character development if Episode Three (or whatever the next installment of Half-Life ends up being) ever gets around to existing, even within the limited scope of the gameplay.

I agree with you except on the point of her being childish. I don't think you mean in it the way I understand the word "Childish" from your description. In fact I would argue the exact opposite, that growing up in the resistance would force maturity upon Alyx. Now, I would say that her ability to still have fun and a sense of humor after going though so much. is remarkable

We shouldn't forget that Alyx is probably one of the youngest humans on the planet and until the next generation arrives she will always be the "kid." Its also seems that everyone treats her like a 'child' for this very reason. She must not have had much of a childhood and so, perhaps she is holding onto what little childhood she had. I think this has a point in the game. She is supposed to represent hope. Surrounded by tired and aging people she is one of the few who exhibits honest optimism about the future, even when she knows the very real dangers of their situation.

But I don't think she is "immature" in any way. She understands the reality of their situation and despite her lighthearted attitude she knows the consequences of war.

So if you say she's childish because she has not yet become cynical, and keeps hope alive then I agree with you. But calling that immaturity is pretty cynical and depressing in and of itself. It is possible to retain some childlike hope and still be a mature adult and I think that is what makes Alyx so amazing.

But I don't think she is "immature" in any way. She understands the reality of their situation and despite her lighthearted attitude she knows the consequences of war.

So if you say she's childish because she has not yet become cynical, and keeps hope alive then I agree with you. But calling that immaturity is pretty cynical and depressing in and of itself. It is possible to retain some childlike hope and still be a mature adult and I think that is what makes Alyx so amazing.

Oh no, I didn't mean it as a slight on the character or anything - the fact that she is (for lack of a better way to describe it) such a complete sweetheart is what makes her so compelling, and if the whole game was just you going around talking to all of the citizens who sound like they're about to shoot themselves, well, that would get wearing very quickly. I just meant that for her it's beyond optimism; her emotional responses seem to be well beneath her physical developmental stage. I'm talking about the way she gets all catty with Dr. Mossman, or how she makes faces at Dr. Magnusson behind his back, or even her little 'prank' in Episode One, where she makes the zombie noises and then starts laughing when you turn around (never mind that the two of you have just escaped from certain death and been in a train crash.) My thirteen-year-old brother behaves like this, and now that I think about it, when I watch him play Half-Life 2, I can barely hear Alyx cheering when the zombies get blown up over the noise he's making. Another good example is any scene where Eli teases her about Gordon - I'm only just nearing 20, and when somebody starts ribbing me about a guy I may or may not like, I jump right in with a retort and end up laughing along with everyone else. Getting all defensive and pouty is the sort of thing I did when I was 15 and my mom would question my choice of eye candy to put on my wall (and going back to my brother, if you so much as mention Samus Aran to him, you will get pretty much the same reaction Alyx gave Eli when he suggested that she and Gordon should procreate. Boy's got good taste, at least.) Again, it's not necessarily a bad thing; it's actually quite endearing, and since she's still a very competent and useful NPC partner to have around, who cares, but in many ways, Alyx does not act at all like an emotionally mature adult. Which, going back to my original post, makes perfect sense, because she isn't one.

Oh no, I didn't mean it as a slight on the character or anything - the fact that she is (for lack of a better way to describe it) such a complete sweetheart is what makes her so compelling, and if the whole game was just you going around talking to all of the citizens who sound like they're about to shoot themselves, well, that would get wearing very quickly. I just meant that for her it's beyond optimism; her emotional responses seem to be well beneath her physical developmental stage. I'm talking about the way she gets all catty with Dr. Mossman, or how she makes faces at Dr. Magnusson behind his back, or even her little 'prank' in Episode One, where she makes the zombie noises and then starts laughing when you turn around (never mind that the two of you have just escaped from certain death and been in a train crash.) My thirteen-year-old brother behaves like this, and now that I think about it, when I watch him play Half-Life 2, I can barely hear Alyx cheering when the zombies get blown up over the noise he's making. Another good example is any scene where Eli teases her about Gordon - I'm only just nearing 20, and when somebody starts ribbing me about a guy I may or may not like, I jump right in with a retort and end up laughing along with everyone else. Getting all defensive and pouty is the sort of thing I did when I was 15 and my mom would question my choice of eye candy to put on my wall (and going back to my brother, if you so much as mention Samus Aran to him, you will get pretty much the same reaction Alyx gave Eli when he suggested that she and Gordon should procreate. Boy's got good taste, at least.) Again, it's not necessarily a bad thing, and it's actually quite endearing, but in many ways, Alyx does not act at all like an emotionally mature adult. Which, going back to my original post, makes perfect sense, because she isn't one.

Mostly good points that I agree with, but I'd still hesitate to say that Alyx isn't a mature adult. yes she has some 'childish' tendencies which I acknowledged in my post. I also agree that they are part of what makes Alyx endearing and refreshing in what would be an otherwise very depressing situation.

But I don't think that makes her immature. She is capable of making tough choices. She is given grate responsibilities which she handles well. She recognized that she should give Mossman a break and that they really shouldn't be fighting (she sights the claustrophobic and tense atmosphere as a cause). As I said before, I think some of her more child like tendencies are a result of almost everyone treating her like a child.

I don't think her sense of humor makes her immature, I don't think her beef with Mossman is immature (maybe in how she handled it was). But I don't think these things makes her an immature adult. All her other qualities reinforce the idea that she is a responsible and capable member of the resistance. If she was immature do you think they would let her do all the things she does or rely other like they do?

Like I said. She know the consequences of the war, she knows what is at stake and she does not take those things lightly.

TL;DR

She has some child like traits that add optimism, innocents, and enthusiasm to her character but they don't overpower her other traits that establish her as a capable, smart, mature, and all around bad-ass woman.

Even sorter version: I disagree with your use of the word "Immature".. there are too many negative implications.

If she was immature do you think they would let her do all the things she does or rely other like they do?

What does anyone actually rely on Alyx to do, though? She did fix/work on both of the teleporters, and it's implied that she was helping run people through the canals to Black Mesa East, but that's just making good use of her talents as a mechanic and a possible practitioner of le parkour. It's not like she has any sort of formal position in the resistance or anything, aside from being the daughter of one of its leaders -- any authority she appears to have is entirely due to her being Gordon's shadow/mouthpiece.

She has some child like traits that add optimism, innocents, and enthusiasm to her character but they don't overpower her other traits that establish her as a capable, smart, mature, and all around bad-ass woman.

Even sorter version: I disagree with your use of the word "Immature".. there are too many negative implications.

We're probably going to have to agree to disagree here, then. I'm totally with you on the capable and badass parts, but as you said, Alyx has probably been treated like a child for most of her life, being significantly younger than most of the surviving members of the human race. That sort of thing has emotional repercussions, which I see very, very clearly in her personality. It doesn't mean that she can't ever take anything seriously; obviously she takes the resistance against the Combine very seriously, and after Episode Two, heaven help any Advisor who gets in her way. But having gone through a hormonal teenage girl phase myself, when I compare Alyx's personality to my own at various stages of development, a lot of the things she says and does suggest a much younger person.

Again, completely justified within the realm of the story, and totally not a bad thing. It's what makes her Alyx, and I wouldn't have her any other way.

Hakojo is right, just look at Alyx in the Black Mesa East part in HL2 and you'll see her teenage-ish traits.

What does anyone actually rely on Alyx to do, though? She did fix/work on both of the teleporters, and it's implied that she was helping run people through the canals to Black Mesa East, but that's just making good use of her talents as a mechanic and a possible practitioner of le parkour. It's not like she has any sort of formal position in the resistance or anything, aside from being the daughter of one of its leaders -- any authority she appears to have is entirely due to her being Gordon's shadow/mouthpiece.

We're probably going to have to agree to disagree here, then. I'm totally with you on the capable and badass parts, but as you said, Alyx has probably been treated like a child for most of her life, being significantly younger than most of the surviving members of the human race. That sort of thing has emotional repercussions, which I see very, very clearly in her personality. It doesn't mean that she can't ever take anything seriously; obviously she takes the resistance against the Combine very seriously, and after Episode Two, heaven help any Advisor who gets in her way. But having gone through a hormonal teenage girl phase myself, when I compare Alyx's personality to my own at various stages of development, a lot of the things she says and does suggest a much younger person.

Again, completely justified within the realm of the story, and totally not a bad thing. It's what makes her Alyx, and I wouldn't have her any other way.

To be honest I don't think we really disagree. I just don't like using the word immature as I think it has too many negative connotations to be justifiably applied to Alyx.

I do agree with you... I just look at it from a different perspective. We develop when we have more experience with something. I imagine there wasn't much cause for joking when she was growing up so her humor hasn't changed much. She has probably had NO experience with "The Talk" due to the reproduction repressor, so bringing it up would be new and awkward for her. He attitude towards Mossman is similar to a child's hostility to wards a step parent. Her fear of the talkers isn't childish (the threat of becoming one hands over everyone's head) but she didn't handle it very well on the train (this adds a vulnerability aspect to her that really strengthens our attachment to her as we wan't to protect her)

I also agree that these aren't bad things, but just add an interesting dimension to her character... which is why I don't use the word 'immature' because to me that word implies something bad. We can always improve ourselves, but that doesn't mean we are immature.

I also think we see her mature somewhat though the games... especially EP2. I hope she never looses her bright side (though it will probably be subdued in EP3). Despite all she's been through there are things that are new to her (namely Gordon) which she will have to handle.

All in all I should thank you. Your perspective has opened up a whole new dimension of Alyx's character to me and it adds so much.

Thanks

P.S. Do you understand my aversion to using the word Immature?

Okay, I guess I'm down with that. I just don't see the word 'immature' as being so negative - to me it's more a statement of a factual lack of relative maturity.

But hey, as long as we both agree that Alyx is awesome exactly as she is, I see no problem here :D Although you think Eli wouldn't have given her 'the talk' anyway? I always assumed that she had awesome parents like mine, so she knew all about where babies come from at like age two.

Okay, I guess I'm down with that. I just don't see the word 'immature' as being so negative - to me it's more a statement of a factual lack of relative maturity.

But hey, as long as we both agree that Alyx is awesome exactly as she is, I see no problem here :D Although you think Eli wouldn't have given her 'the talk' anyway? I always assumed that she had awesome parents like mine, so she knew all about where babies come from at like age two.

She probably 'knows' but also probably never really had a likely "candidate."

From what we have seen she spends all her time either fighting Combine or hanging out with 50 years + scientist creating teleporting tech. Not an environment that invokes romantic thoughts. Wasn't there also something about how the repressor just killed all reproductive erm... capability? So that point in Ep2 is the first time the subject has any sort of real life relevance for her.

Yea. Alyx is my favorite NPC. I can't wait for Ep3! It will be interesting to see how Alyx's character develops, and how her dynamic with Gordon develops. I wrote a whole opening Ep3 sequence somewhere in these forums. I thought it was pretty good. lol

She probably 'knows' but also probably never really had a likely "candidate."

From what we have seen she spends all her time either fighting Combine or hanging out with 50 years + scientist creating teleporting tech. Not an environment that invokes romantic thoughts. Wasn't there also something about how the repressor just killed all reproductive erm... capability? So that point in Ep2 is the first time the subject has any sort of real life relevance for her.

Until Gordon came along, probably. Although Gabe Newell did say something about her having a crush on some deaf soldier before Gordon came and took out the Combine in 4 days, lol. I don't know, something like that I remember hearing about.

Yea. Alyx is my favorite NPC. I can't wait for Ep3! It will be interesting to see how Alyx's character develops, and how her dynamic with Gordon develops. I wrote a whole opening Ep3 sequence somewhere in these forums. I thought it was pretty good. lol

Yea dude, this dynamic is the primary reason I play the game. The gameplay is great, but without the story and the characters around you, its just another FPS with a few interesting mechanics. I suspect Valve will leave the ending of HL3 and the relationship between Gordon and Alyx somewhat open ended. Maybe they don't explicitly get together or not get together, but maybe something like Alyx puts her head on Gordon's shoulder whilst watching the final/big explosion or something like that. I don't think they want to force an ending on the player, but rather have the player infer/interpret their own ending. It'll piss people off for sure, but I think there is no other way for Valve when they went the route of total immersion.

Also at the mention of possible procreation with Gordon, her reaction can be seen as "childish", or you could see it as she is very interested in Gordon and is genuinely embarrassed that somebody suggested something that she may have already was considering in the first place. Lol.

Also at the mention of possible procreation with Gordon, her reaction can be seen as "childish", or you could see it as she is very interested in Gordon and is genuinely embarrassed that somebody suggested something that she may have already was considering in the first place. Lol.

Well, as a girl who's not even 20 yet, who has parents to whom she is very close and who do good-naturedly tease her about that sort of thing all the time, I gotta say that I never get all embarrassed right off the bat. Maybe when I was like 12 and both boys and my recently-awakened childbearing capabilities were still new and icky, but not now. It just seems like such a stereotypical teenager thing to me.

Although now that I think about it, depending on what exactly the suppression field was suppressing, Alyx could be dealing with more than a decade of hormonal impulses catching up with her all at once. It's a wonder her head didn't explode along with the Citadel.

Gordon started drooling long before that.

When I bought half life 2 (DVD)when I bought the dvd I loved it, but now they have done a massive update to the game.

I think these changes valve have done have destroyd the gameplay. Since they have changed so much. Before it was very easy but at the same time it was more like a "beutiful game" to play now it is more like duke nukem...

Why have they done this. ?

How can I install the hl2 that I did buy and NOT RECIVE THE GAME UPDATE. ?

What are you talking about? The update was purely cosmetic, with no changes made to the gameplay.

And duke mukem? wtf?

p.s. sorry for the double post

What are you talking about? The update was purely cosmetic, with no changes made to the gameplay.

And duke mukem? wtf?

p.s. sorry for the double post
From what I've read, the update should've been only cosmetic. However, there are (were? any fixes lately?) bugs/things that broke gameplay wise with the update however small they may be. I haven't touched HL2 since shortly after the big update and the bugs or inconsistency in the visuals was enough to ruin the game for me. Sure the older HL2 might have been a tad dated, but it was consistent and with the high settings I played it on still looked pretty damn good.

Maybe there's been updates in the past months or so that have fixed the glitches and bugs. But the last time I looked at the game, in my opinion the update was a step back.

Back