Half-Life 3... completely different?

danicadb1

Reaction score
I have read some interviews where Gabe Newell has said that because of the popularity of Portal 2 and the Left for dead co-op play, they are seriously thinking of making HL3 completely different from what they have previously done with their HL games, they won't get rid of single play, it will just be different?:( ;(
Please don't do what the makers of Resident Evil did, their first 3 games were awesome(at least to me), but the fourth game was different, and the fifth game was completely different, so much so that it wasn't fun to play for very long:rolleyes:.
I believe the HL single player games to be the best ever:cheers:, always my go to games when I want to play something fun and scary. Please don't change HL 3 so much that it is just to different to be fun, your bread and butter has been the single player games:cheers:, known every where for the fine games that they are, why does it matter that many people love co-op games, make them one, but don't change HL 3 too much, bring it into the future with awesome graphics, continue the storyline, or if there is a final episode to the 2 you started, give HL3 something new and scary for Gordon Freeman to do, perhaps on a planet new to us, even give him a partner, like the way Alyx helped him, but don't destroy our beloved HL, changing it too much could be a bomb ready to explode:O. Just my thoughts:angel:. What are yours?:rolling:

My very fav. part of HL 2, we don't go to Ravenholm anymore, give us more like that, a scary town full of HL monsters:)
also, we should talk to Dr. Kleiner about a new battery for the flashlight:thumbs:

Anyone who truly loves the HL series will have already read everything there is to read on the subject, there are lots of sources, I went to all gaming mags and read what they have said, there were interviews done with Gabe and others. I am not a he, I am a she, and have played HL since the beginning. emotes show emotion and how I feel about it, I just want a great new HL game. Don't you have any opinions besides putting others down for theirs?::p
PS if people don't have a profile, why are they bothering to post, what that means is they created a profile just to troll, then deleted it. Too many trolls ruin our world.
They are asking for feedback, and this is mine, if you have any ideas, let us hear them, please, and thank-you.

My very fav. part of HL 2, we don't go to Ravenholm anymore, give us more like that, a scary town full of HL monsters:)
also, we should talk to Dr. Kleiner about a new battery for the flashlight:thumbs:

Ahhh, I just played through that level a couple of nights ago........next stop, the mines!! =D

Anyone who truly loves the HL series will have already read everything there is to read on the subject, there are lots of sources, I went to all gaming mags and read what they have said, there were interviews done with Gabe and others. I am not a he, I am a she, and have played HL since the beginning. emotes show emotion and how I feel about it, I just want a great new HL game. Don't you have any opinions besides putting others down for theirs?::p
PS if people don't have a profile, why are they bothering to post, what that means is they created a profile just to troll, then deleted it. Too many trolls ruin our world.
They are asking for feedback, and this is mine, if you have any ideas, let us hear them, please, and thank-you.

Then post some sources, otherwise I have no idea what your referencing. I'm not challenging your opinion I'm asking where you got the information.

And profile whatnow?

No doubt the changes they will implement will be co-op mode (eg. Synergy mod), and maybe even reconstruct HL2 Deathmatch. I can't see them straying too far.

Implementing a co-op mode in HL3 would be a very nice addition; maybe Gordon/Alyx co-op.

Hands up everyone who is willing to play through HL3 as someone other than Freeman?

Something different is welcome. I don't want the same old rehashed gameplay. But: keep HL a SP experience. Optional co-op might be acceptable, but the soul of the game is SP.

Also, a vote for not playing as Freeman.

Well there are several references that I can imagine you are talking about

• First one is that they used a lot of psychology-work when working with playtesters for L4D and Portal, and they are hoping to use that kind of data to make HL3 scary (similar to how many people were scared when they first played HL1)
  • No more isolated singleplayer. It is still effectively singleplayer but they want it more socially/community driven in the sense you can get your friends involved. I gathered that to meaning you upload your screenshots and status on facebook I think, much in the way that TF2 now allows you to upload videos directly to youtube. Offcourse if there is a standalone coop story integrated alongside the singleplayer with HL3, then that too.
  • Improved animations, one of the things they were experimenting with was sign language. However there is no new news about that

You do realize that HL2 is very different to HL1, right? It would make sense for HL3 to be different.

To me Half Life is about Adventure, Intrigue and Exploring the Unknown. I wouldn't complain if a lot of the gunplay was changed drastically (I wouldn't even complain if ammo was scarce and they took out half the weapons). As long as the core of the game was unchanged I would enjoy it evermore. I felt more scared the first time I played HL than I was HL2; I kinda hope they bring that back.

Personally, I'd rather have more and better singleplayer than an extra co-op campaign bolted on the side. If they do add co-op then I'd hope it would be detached from the main story, and much less narrative focused than the singleplayer. Kind of like Portal 2's co-op I suppose. I just really think story is something best enjoyed alone; those dramatic or sad or disturbing moments are all lost when your friend is stood next to you teabagging a headcrab. It's impossible to get immersed in an imaginary world when someone you know from the real world is constantly talking to you. So since story and immersion is what, more than anything, makes I and many others want to play the next Half-Life game, I hope Valve put most of their effort into singleplayer.

Personally, I'd rather have more and better singleplayer than an extra co-op campaign bolted on the side. If they do add co-op then I'd hope it would be detached from the main story, and much less narrative focused than the singleplayer. Kind of like Portal 2's co-op I suppose. I just really think story is something best enjoyed alone; those dramatic or sad or disturbing moments are all lost when your friend is stood next to you teabagging a headcrab. It's impossible to get immersed in an imaginary world when someone you know from the real world is constantly talking to you. So since story and immersion is what, more than anything, makes I and many others want to play the next Half-Life game, I hope Valve put most of their effort into singleplayer.

Bravo sir, bravo!

I trust Valve to make a HL3 that we'll all love, even if it's different. I don't think they've made a single game I haven't liked.

I trust Valve to make a HL3 that we'll all love, even if it's different. I don't think they've made a single game I haven't liked.

Indeed, I just hope no close friend of Gordon dies though... well Mossman can die ofcourse, Alyx can die (oh god I hope she doesn't), etc... but yeah... we'll see eventually..

I will play co-op if I get to play as Dog.

Gabe newel in an interview after this said he was "misquoted" or something like that.
The interview is for dota 2 but dunno witch one was it :D

Back