Half-Life needs instrumental music

BauerSlyer

Reaction score
Electronic music is just emotionless music in every way if it's not mixed with real instruments. And especially the Half-Life music since it's not mixed with anything, you only have those cold computer sounds.

While the Half-Life music is definitely better than most music found in games these days it doesn't compare with the epic music found in games like Fallout 3 and Halo 3.

Half-Life also lacks a theme song for some reason. Anyways, instrumental music all the way. It has a big emotional impact that electronic music doesn't have.

Personally I find that pretty dumb. All that orchestral crap in every other game is overdone and pretty boring. Would not fit into Half-Life either. Half-Life's varied soundtrack is a lot more memorable than most out there nowadays.

But hey, that's just me.

Electronic music is just emotionless music in every way if it's not mixed with real instruments.
I disagree with your premise. There is nothing inherent in digitally generated music that makes it emotionless and I disagree that all the music in the series is such. Most of the themes are for action so no, they're not supposed to be making you swell up with emotion. These games are not overly dramatic and try to get a reaction from you based on what's actually happening rather than with just some sad music. For some music with emotion in Half-Life 2 see Triage at Dawn and Requiem for Ravenholm.

Personally, I think the music with the Half Life series fit the game perfectly. Entering Ravenholm still freaks me out after several play throughs because of the of the atmosphere created there. Several areas in the span of that series will forever stay with me because the music wasn't orchestral, or over done, or in your face.... it was 'just right', perfectly balanced for what was needed at that moment. Adding a emotional or dramatic dirge of strings and brass would detract from it. Some of the best games i've played have utilised understated soundtracks to match the mood of the action to help create an immersive atmosphere.

Once I come down from my caffeine kick, i'll realise this post is an inane ramble.... damn...

I find it to be emotionless and when music is emotionless, it's not doing it's job, and I don't get carried away. Computer sounds can never produce anything epic.

I find it to be emotionless and when music is emotionless, it's not doing it's job, and I don't get carried away. Computer sounds can never produce anything epic.
Everything coming out of the soundtrack of every video game is a computer sound.

What emotionless music this is.

Electronic music is just emotionless music in every way if it's not mixed with real instruments.
Hahahahaha.

Sorry pal, but you don't have a clue what you're talking about. It's very obvious you haven't listened to very much electronic music (of many styles), or even understand what it's capable of. I'm guessing when you picture electronic music you think of boring repetitive club music.

Like Riom said, there is no important difference between a sound produced electronically or from an acoustic instrument. At least not the kind of difference you're talking about where one is 'emotionless'. Emotion in music has a lot more to do with things other than the waveform of a sound, which is really the only actual difference between electronic/acoustic, aside from some subtleties (which have their equivalents in analog electronics, or even just intricately designed patches)

I could go on and on about this but I have to eat dinner I'll be back.

Inon Zur sucks.

Listen to Selected Ambient Works II or perhaps even Pale Blue Dot and tell me purely electronic music is emotionless.

Everything sucks in your eyes doesn't it?

The song you linked lacks imagination and uniqueness. Building tension with strong percussion and strong low brass lines? It's been done in way too many games and movies. I can't believe that I sat through 3 minutes of that. There's no variance in the song, or any semblance of dynamic range.

1: Are there bass drums and heavy percussion? If yes goto 2 if no goto 3.
2: Add a little bit of low brass.
3: Add a lot of low brass.
4: More percussion.

Oh, and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2qKolp6F_Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQCZIb0fbt8

The song you linked lacks imagination and uniqueness. Building tension with strong percussion and strong low brass lines? It's been done in way too many games and movies. I can't believe that I sat through 3 minutes of that. There's no variance in the song, or any semblance of dynamic range.

1: Are there bass drums and heavy percussion? If yes goto 2 if no goto 3.
2: Add a little bit of low brass.
3: Add a lot of low brass.
4: More percussion.

Oh, and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2qKolp6F_Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQCZIb0fbt8

Battle 1 is better than every track in HL2 combined.

Can I also point out the fact that the song is called 'Battle 1' the title doesn't move me to any emotion... 'Anti-Citizen One' or 'Triage at Dawn' stirr something.

Ok I knew already this guy is a troll. You guys are aware of that right?

Define "epic" for me.

Don't worry about it. In the end, it's his subjective experience that counts and nobody else's. His argument is inherently flawed and dripping with a burden of proof fallacy. Or, he's just a troll and not actually this much of a moron.

It's been a while since I've seen a new member be so WRONG about a game topic (i.e., it's been a while since a new member made a thread). The unique style of music and ambiance in HL2 is perfect for the game it was trying (and succeeding) to be. Leave the orchestrations for movies and the games that are trying to be them. And god, I hate the word 'epic' so much you have no idea. It's right up there with how young people use 'legit' these days.

And god, I hate the word 'epic' so much you have no idea. It's right up there with how young people use 'legit' these days.

I know dude, those kids are epic fail. I'd legit kick their ass if I saw them on the street.

Don't really find anything wrong with the music. The music in HL is not super bad, and it's super good either in my eyes. It does the job for the atmosphere.

To be honest, it would be unwise to criticize the music of Fallout 3. In fact, refrain from placing Inon Zur and a word with a negative connotation in the same sentence. Thanks.

Here, listen something better instead of a shitty track from Fallout 3:

What a classic!

I'm not entirely sure why some of you are taking BauerSlyer so seriously.

He's not a troll. There's genuinely something wrong with him.

Your insults are boring, MimazTirith.

Oh, BauerSlyer.

You'll get eaten alive here. Make another account on SUF instead (if you haven't already). You fit in better there.

Oh, BauerSlyer.

You'll get eaten alive here. Make another account on SUF instead (if you haven't already). You fit in better there.

BauerSlyer will return to the Steam Forums. Stay tuned.

This thread is bad and you should feel bad.

Oh, BauerSlyer.

You don't mean... He's religious?!?

I'm playing the game, not the music. If the game music is adding to the game experience, it is doing it's job. I think Half-Life's music accomplishes this excellently. I wouldn't necessarily listen to that music by itself, but it fulfills it's purpose.

Back