Half Life on my invention - the jDome

J

jDome

Check out my patented invention - the jDome - which immerses a player in the world of the game and shows 50% of the game world.

I've tried Half Life 2 on it and it works fine - I even used a screenshot of it in my promo movie (Valve is credited of course):

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-IvzpFE7nc

Well, what do you think?

What kind of hardware is needed? Looks like a big projector and a curved shroud. Looks expensive and where the heck are casual gamers going to put it. Also, it's pretty useless in a non-game environment. It better be ****ing awesome in-game otherwise I see little incentive to use it.

But, I guess it is kind of neat. Although I'm wondering if a VR setup is less obtrusive.

What kind of hardware is needed? Looks like a big projector and a curved shroud. Looks expensive and where the heck are casual gamers going to put it. Also, it's pretty useless in a non-game environment. It better be ****ing awesome in-game otherwise I see little incentive to use it.

But, I guess it is kind of neat. Although I'm wondering if a VR setup is less obtrusive.

Please check out the jdome.com/the_jdome.asp for a more detailed explantion.

You can use your regular hardware, but you need a projector. The point is that you should use it with your home-movie system. When you want to watch a movie you just put the jDome away, and vice versa, without moving the projector. And it will be easily foldable in one piece for easy access - and it is ****ing awsome in-game, trust me.

Interesting but not something i would get
I don't like the bubble factor
Everything stretches thus causing confusion to some

^
this

also, since the game will be projected, I'm assuming the visuals won't have the same level of detail/sharpness I get on an LCD.

you might as well turn up the field of view to like 180 and you get the same effect....

Yes, from where the movie is shot - but when you are in the gamers position it is another thing.
cut from my site:

"The jDome works best if you play as you always do anyway, namely keep your head still and let the mouse do the looking as usual. By doing this you don't need a costly lens or more projectors than one, because that which is distorted and somewhat unfocused is in your peripheral view. The only thing you need in your peripheral view is motion detection - and the jDome provides just that...

Want proof of this? Well if you have eyeglasses you have your answer right there... and for you others, try this experiment: hold up a piece of paper (or something with some text on it) in front of you, now move the paper towards the side of you, while still looking straight ahead. Pretty soon you can't read it. With a jDome you will get focus right where you need it - straight ahead - but you wont miss the bad guy who sneaks up from the side, which you will detect in the corner of your eye..."

^
this

also, since the game will be projected, I'm assuming the visuals won't have the same level of detail/sharpness I get on an LCD.

^this

about the visuals, the projector in the movie is 720p and thats the minimum system requirement, the recommended is full hd.

A solution which I will present for those of you with a 720p projector if you think the pixelation is to great, is to not use the whole display and leave it black above and below you. But then some immersion will be lost...

Look, you're Swedish right?

Din uppfinning suger, lite synd att du sl?sade bort s? mkt pengar p? detta, jag talar nog f?r alla p? denna hemsidag n?r jag s?ger det. Sluta f?rs?ka ?vertala oss om hur bra den e...

I know, I'm an ass hole, hehehe. Btw, it's pronounced
[JAY]DOME, and not [yay]dome as Jdome pronounced it in the video. That's how I figured out you were form Sweden. Your English sucks!

you might as well turn up the field of view to like 180 and you get the same effect....

Well, try that and get back to me...

The point is you'll make the game unplayable if you do that - I've tried it - even at 120, which crysis is shot using, it looks akward on a normal monitor.

I have to say, the technology is pretty impressive, and it's exciting to see that in only my teenage years, virtual reality is a step closer.

Virtual reality is old, has been around for a long time. It's mostly used for medical purposes, and exist for gaming too. It's just expensive.

Din uppfinning suger, lite synd att du sl?sade bort s? mkt pengar p? detta, jag talar nog f?r alla p? denna hemsidag n?r jag s?ger det. Sluta f?rs?ka ?vertala oss om hur bra den e...

[JAY]DOME, and not [yay]dome as Jdome pronounced it in the video. That's how I figured out you were form Sweden. Your English sucks!

Thank you for your frank remark (for all of you how don't know swedish it says "Your invention sucks, to bad you wasted a lot of money on this, I think I speak for everyone on this site when I say so. Stop trying and convince us otherwise...").

I'm not trying to convince you guys of anything, just get your honest opinion (I certainly got your intelligent opinion, berkman) and try to explain any kind of missunderstanding of how and why the jDome works - since I don't have any other means to do so.

That's a bit unnessisary dude.

Who said you were allowed to talk?

Question number 1. WHO THA **** ARE YOU?

Question number 2. I think you mean, I'm not allowed to write, not talk. But why exactly aren't I allowed to do so? Are you some kind of super secret boss who decides everything. I'm just trying to help and you're being a bastard!

You're a jerk, I hope you get cancer!

I figure eventually we'll have eyepieces similar to contact lens' one day to put the game into your head.

I'm sure when some guy said that he wanted to have tiny glasses you could put into your eyes (contact lens'), they thought it couldn't be done.

oh crap it appears I can't get to sleep. Must be Berk's divine intervention.

I want a pod thing that I lay in then it hooks up to my brain then im IN the game. I've always wished for that.

I figure eventually we'll have eyepieces similar to contact lens' one day to put the game into your head.

They actually do have contact lenses that can technically do that, they are obviously not in use for the general public though.

I want a pod thing that I lay in then it hooks up to my brain then im IN the game. I've always wished for that.

And maybe we could have some MMO kind of world inside the machine where we could all live as if we're in real life, but it's possible to do incredible things!

Congratulations, you're in the matrix.

Berkman is really annoying.

I wasn't saying; "You're trying to much" to you, something happened as 3 people posted at aprox the same time and my post ended up under your post...

It was originily to Jdome

I wasn't saying; "You're trying to much" to you, something happened as 3 people posted at aprox the same time and my post ended up under your post...

It was originily to Jdome

No, she wasn't specifying a specific post you made, just you in general.

Just clearing that up, chief.

Btw, what the shit is your problem lackingsaint. Did I do something that offended you personally. Like bringing up your childhood memories?

Look, it's not cool comparing me to Hitler, as Hitler poisoned and killed millions of Jews...and I just wrote a couple of stupid posts.

Btw, what the shit is your problem lackingsaint. Did I do something that offended you personally. Like bringing up your child hood memories?

Look, it's not cool comparing me to Hitler, as Hitler poisoned and killed millions of Jews...and I just wrote a couple of stupid posts.

Perhaps you can learn to skim a message properly. If you had read anything other than 'jews' and 'Hitler', you'd know I was referring to 'Understatement', sometinhg made by turtle after she said you were annoying. PLease, just stop making this worse for yourself by making a lame-ass insult at me. Just lurk around the forums a bit and learn how it works around here, and maybe everyone can forgot about what you've said so far.

Back