Half Life on my invention - the jDome

So how much would you make the jDome cost, if it were to be released in the mainstream market?

I'm not trying to be funny, you're just some punk that has nothing better to do then to start flaming me.

Maybe you could look around in real life and understand that the intire world isn't made of people like you...Give a man another chance and maybe you could understand that I'm not trying to be funny or anything like that.

The only one here writing thing out of context is you, I still don't understand what you want from me.

??

Instead of insulting me like some immature little kid, tell me wtf my problem is so that I can change it, if I haven't already done that!

I'm not trying to be funny, you're just some punk that has nothing better to do then to start flaming me.

Maybe you could look around in real life and understand that the intire world isn't made of people like you...Give a man another chance and maybe you could understand that I'm not trying to be funny or anything like that.

The only one here writing thing out of context is you, I still don't understand what you want from me.

??

Instead of insulting me like some immature little kid, tell me wtf my problem is so that I can change it, if I haven't already done that!

This is all I heard when I read this post.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tSzhjqwB8C4

It wasn't written to you zombieturtel, it was written to my fellow stalker; Lackingsaint, who seem to follow my every post and then proceeds to flame me!

And zombieturtle, I hope to god that you never breed. Your offspring will be Satan himself!

Berkman said:
I think I speak for everyone on this site when I say so.
I on the other hand think that I speak for everyone on this site when I say that there are Militant Ninja Feminists calling for the bloody slaughter of the world's male population by means of Penis Guillotine that more accurately reflect the opinions of hl2.net users than Berkman in this and any thread on the forums. Why else would I find myself in the second thread in as many days seeing a Four Hundred and Fifty One degree flamewar started in his presence?

STOP FIGHTING NOW

As for the jDome, it's interesting, I honestly think it's worth bringing to market but think that finding the space for it will be a problem for all but the richest / most enthusiastic players, and ask isn't it really only useful for FPS games? Having to delve into console settings is a bit of a pain too, couldn't you just develop software that checks which games you own and does the setup for you?

I am really quite intrigued by this. What sort of projection system is required, and how many are involved?

something made by turtle after she said you were annoying.

I don't know if it was a typo or not, but Zombieturtle's a guy, just clearing that up :)

Finally, just shut up Berkman, no one wants to hear your gobbledy-gook. Become a reformed citizen like Shoes :thumbs:

Jesus Christ, I can't hand out enough infraction for Berkman, he is within an inch of being banned for a long time. Please report trolls like him guys, we need a heads up occasionally. Next time he runs his mouth let me know...

Back to the jDome. A good idea but I'm not sure it's going to lift of the ground, my reasons being.

1) It's rather big and cumbersome, not many people have the space to put a projector half way across the room then the jdome in front of it, it's extremely awkward for most average studies / bedrooms.

2) I tend to play games for lengthy periods of time, especially FPS single player or online multiplayer. I don't want to stand up for 2 hours when I'm trying to relax.

The immersion is it's key success, but it's design seems slightly flawed due to those aspects.

So you're telling me to be quiet and not write anything at all?

I said I'm trying to start over, a new begging. But you guys aren't letting me!

The saint guy and zombieturtle are such ass-hats, just let me be!

Yes I'm saying shut up...but you can't help yourself with the flaming it seems. 14 points of infractions...1 point more and guess what? Bite your tongue from now on...there is some good advice.

So you'll give me 1 point if a say something?

Well seeing that I just changed my mind today, and you haven't noticed yet.

I am a new member now, people are judging me for my past, I'm not doing that anymore, I'm being serious now...

I don't see why a monotor hasn't been created to basically do this, not nearly as large though

I don't see why a monotor hasn't been created to basically do this, not nearly as large though
Because an immersion monitor is only useful for FPS games. You'd have to be a serious FPS player to want an expensive secondary monitor that basically makes most other games and computer tasks unbearable.

So you'll give me 1 point if a say something?

Well seeing that I just changed my mind today, and you haven't noticed yet.

I am a new member now, people are judging me for my past, I'm not doing that anymore, I'm being serious now...
Berkman....stop posting
Just....stop

Because an immersion monitor is only useful for FPS games. You'd have to be a serious FPS player to want an expensive secondary monitor that basically makes most other games and computer tasks unbearable.

Oh definately, but I still think a secondary expensive monitor would be more logical and space efficient than an expensive projector and jdome in your room, not to mention the space there has to be between the two.

I am really quite intrigued by this. What sort of projection system is required, and how many are involved?

I don't know if it was a typo or not, but Zombieturtle's a guy, just clearing that up :)

Sorry, I just assumed with the avatar/icon.

I on the other hand think that I speak for everyone on this site when I say that there are Militant Ninja Feminists calling for the bloody slaughter of the world's male population by means of Penis Guillotine that more accurately reflect the opinions of hl2.net users than Berkman in this and any thread on the forums. Why else would I find myself in the second thread in as many days seeing a Four Hundred and Fifty One degree flamewar started in his presence?

STOP FIGHTING NOW

As for the jDome, it's interesting, I honestly think it's worth bringing to market but think that finding the space for it will be a problem for all but the richest / most enthusiastic players, and ask isn't it really only useful for FPS games? Having to delve into console settings is a bit of a pain too, couldn't you just develop software that checks which games you own and does the setup for you?

Well - the jDome took off today 20000+ views on youtube :rolling: - thank you all for your interest!

I also got a donation today - five dollars! That kind of sum in numbers will definatly launch this thing and hopefully make game developers make options for the jDome in their games, as you wished.

You see, it is a catch 22. Quoted from the jDome site:
"Often when you try to launch a new gaming product which alters your gaming experience, the software has to be changed as well. This means that you have to make the game developers change their software in order to use your product. But in order for the game developers to feel inclined to change their software to work with your product, you have to have enough gamers, the "installed base", out there, who has already bought your Product in the first place!"

Well, if you can live with "delveing into console settings" - then the installed base is enormous, considering all the games where you can change the FOV.

I'd like to reply to more posts here, but I have work to do on the site. I honestly didn't expect that many views so soon. Please check the jdome site - it might answer some of your questions - hope to get a FAQ up soon too.

Interesting but not something i would get
I don't like the bubble factor
Everything stretches thus causing confusion to some

The picture stretches to give you the natural feeling that whatever is on that side is in the corner of your eye, smart one. :p

If you've ever been to an IMax movie, (Or omnimax) you will notice that the picture stretches at the very sides of the screen, that is why. I have thought of things like this myself, and I think it's a very cool idea. But I think it needs to be a little more comfortable than standing up to play the game. Maybe designing it to move up and down to where you can play it while sitting in a chair would help.

Anyways, great work, man.

Well, if you can live with "delveing into console settings" - then the installed base is enormous, considering all the games where you can change the FOV.

On the contrary, game developers might in fact have a setting for your product in the future if it becomes popular enough. The same thing happened with TrackIR, if you're familiar with that. A bunch of flight sims now have TrackIR implemented into their games, but it still runs without it if you turn it off.

I think this has a lot of potential. As a first product it isn't perfect (cumbersome, have to stand up, only for FPS gaming yet difficult to switch between a monitor and this, etc), but then again, what is? Continue working on it and I think you could have a real chance to make some money off of it.

Looks pretty interesting. I wish a lot of success.

I wonder, though, speaking as someone who gets extreme motion sickness, how this would "feel" for someone like me. I have to take a lot of breaks playing any FPS games (as well avoiding all the other motion sickness things in the world lol).

Looks pretty interesting. I wish a lot of success.

I wonder, though, speaking as someone who gets extreme motion sickness, how this would "feel" for someone like me. I have to take a lot of breaks playing any FPS games (as well avoiding all the other motion sickness things in the world lol).

same with people who may be claustrophobic

jDome, look up virtusphere.

I'm sorry to say that that thing doesn't work so good for a number of reasons, which the jDome (of course) solves.

1. It costs a ton - and probably weighs about it to - at least the steel frame
2. You need VR-goggels which doesn't work good, even though they are expensive, they wont give you more FOV - it's just like hanging a screen with low resolution in front of you.
3. It is a whole other thing when you play games using VR-goggles, which uses a gun - suddenly the gun feels attached to the cheek. I know the guy is holding a gun, but that doesnt mean it moves independently from the head in the game - and that's gonna require some serious reprogramming of the game.

I actually e-mailed these guys two years ago pointing out these facts, but I didn't get any response.

Then I gave up waiting for someone else to come up with a solution and I did the jDome...

I'm sorry to say that that thing doesn't work so good for a number of reasons, which the jDome (of course) solves.

1. It costs a ton - and probably weighs about it to - at least the steel frame
2. You need VR-goggels which doesn't work good, even though they are expensive, they wont give you more FOV - it's just like hanging a screen with low resolution in front of you.
3. It is a whole other thing when you play games using VR-goggles, which uses a gun - suddenly the gun feels attached to the cheek. I know the guy is holding a gun, but that doesnt mean it moves independently from the head in the game - and that's gonna require some serious reprogramming of the game.

I actually e-mailed these guys two years ago pointing out these facts, but I didn't get any response.

Then I gave up waiting for someone else to come up with a solution and I did the jDome...

Boy he just LOVES postng his own quotes and stuff does he not?

I'd have to use it. But it wouldn't nearly stand up in the face of autostereoscopic displays.

I'm still holding on for autostereoscopic displays

I don't like the idea of standing while gaming. I don't even like to stand when I'm running (hehe).

I don't like the idea of standing while gaming. I don't even like to stand when I'm running (hehe).

Standing is a human position in which the body is constantly in an orthostatic state.
Although quiet standing appears to be static, modern instrumentation shows it to be a process of rocking from the ankle in the sagittal plane.

FAIL, NOW BOW DOWN,I KNOW YOU WILL BECAUSE YOU HATE STANDING!

Back