Halloween Lag

lord_raken

Tank
Reaction score
Ever since the Halloween pack update TF2 has been running with insane amounts of lag. I have no idea what's Going on. Does anyone have a similar problem or have suggestions to fix it? I'm on a mac FYI.

Is it server lag or just a bad frame rate? Are you getting the same ping that you always did?

It appears to be consistent over all maps and game types. It could be the frame rate but I don't know the difference... How do I go about figuring out which one it is?

Bad frame rate means low frames per second. As in the game doesn't appear smooth. Like if you tried running a new game on an old computer.

Server lag is a delay in communication between your computer and the server. Things will appear to be jittering around. You might not be able to hit anyone because of intense lag.

My computer's specks are above those required to play TF2 and until the Halloween update everything was fine.

Normally when I spawn the problem take a few seconds to manifest. Normally the sound stops.
Everyone else seems to have no trouble at all.

Everything seems to slow down. I move at a slower pace but its not very smooth either. I click the mouse and there is a small wait until my weapon will fire. The other players seem to jump around. Its like someone has slowed a tape down and cut out 4 out of every 5 frames.

When you look at the scoreboard what is your ping?

Edit: Start a local LAN game with just you in it. If things are bad, then it's FPS lag meaning the game is having trouble running on your computer for some reason.

If it's all fine and smooth, then it's a connection problem.

Type net_graph 3 in the console (use ~, be sure to enable it in keyboard settings). Check your FPS and Choke. Choke is when the server cannot keep up with client requests. Make sure your download settings in the Steam settings are set to an appropriate bandwidth too. This supposedly does effect the default bandwidth settings in your game clients.

Thanks. I'll let you know what I find when I get the chance to try this stuff out.

Hu.. Well... It seems to have fixed itself. I booted it up yesterday and I had no problems.

Back