Harry Potter & The Deathly Hallows

yeah rawlings really just threw darts at a wall to see who should have been killed, it had absolutely no significance and was a fairly terrible way to end her story

i hope the film fixes that

They've been shit so far - why break the record?

What is this grabbing voldemort and jumping off a thing?

Edit: crap, this movie is gonna be so stupid. I'm gonna watch it and enjoy it cos I'll know that in a few years no one will care about Harry Potter. Ever again.

I agree with Samon's point about the 'wasteland' look. It looks like some kind of post-nuclear setting to the point where Hogwarts is unrecognizable. As for whether or not I'll enjoy the film, probably, I'm sure it'll be a good special effects romp, but as far as the narrative goes, eh.

I'll no doubt enjoy it, simply because I'm such a fan of the books (mostly). I know that as adaptations they've all virtually been horrible (except the third), but I've really gotten past that. They're fun. Through and through. That's all that I expect at this point.

I doubt it will, since last I heard the film was even including the stunningly bad epilogue.

Yeah, that was abysmal.

yeah rawlings really just threw darts at a wall to see who should have been killed, it had absolutely no significance and was a fairly terrible way to end her story

i hope the film fixes that

It probably won't. The only deaths worth a damn in the novel was that of
Dobby and Snape.

I enjoyed the last one. For it is pretty dark and less about high school drama.

I enjoyed the last one. For it is pretty dark and less about high school drama.

But see, that's the thing. The series starts out as a fun little fantasy novel about a kid who finds out he's a wizard and goes to a magic school. That's why these uber-dramatic movies where someone dies every scene are a little odd.

Seriously, go back and watch the first two movies some time (edit: actually, don't). The tonal shift is bizarre.

But see, that's the thing. The series starts out as a fun little fantasy novel about a kid who finds out he's a wizard and goes to a magic school. That's why these uber-dramatic movies where someone dies every scene are a little odd.

The series was never really about that at all. I mean it opens upon a scene where a baby boy has been cursed by a mass murderer; his parents are dead; he is left on the doorstep of his only living relative, who turns out to be horrible.

Haven't seen part 1, but does it touch anything on Dumbledore's homosexuality?

You should reread the first book or rewatch the first movie. The tone of "mass murderer trying to kill babies" is really not the focal point, its more of a focus on a peculiar fantasy world with an evil badguy. The story's tone changes slightly as Harry gets older, which was meant to follow the growing ages of her fanbase. Except, by the end, she apparently thought "let's kill every other character because that makes it auto-adult" was a good plan.

this new movie looks kinda rad to me though, ill still watch it

no, and I'm convinced this is something which was added after the fact to make a bunch of free buzz and publicity

no official canonic storyline does, I'm with Erestheux here. It was more just a comment that Rowling made to give herself a bit more attention.

That said, there is some moderately interesting reading in to Dumbledore's relationship with Grindelwald that can be done with that information.

Just booked my tickets for the midnight screening... I must say I'm excited as balls to see this, even though it probably won't be as great as it should be, I've been a Potter fan all my life and it's finally about to end. *wipes away crocodile tear*

Also, Warner Bros. are selling exact non-working replicas of the invisibility cloak.

Created exactly like the movie original, this heavy velvet cloak has hand silk screened moons, stars and charms with a black silk lining and heavy duty hook & eye fastener. Each cloak is hand finished, so no two are completely identical. Features hook & eye clasp, this cloak will not wear out with time. One size fits most.

The cloak is currently retailing for $429.95 and promises everything but actual invisibility.

Shame I don't have a spare $430 just laying around.

"everything but actual invisibility"

So... it's a cloak.

New trailer:

Relevant for any fan:

Just for the sake of it:

Well, I am off to a 2 day HP marathon with friends and then the midnight screening tomorrow night. So excited I may just cry... maybe. Will post my review in 36 hours. Excite.

hey that trailer looks ****ing balls to the wall awesome, but i guess we'll see :p

The new film has 8.6/10 on IMDb and 96% on rottentomatoes. Might be interesting to watch, although the last HP movie I saw was the fourth one.

Loved it, every second.

Avada Kedavra, that is all.

Can't wait.
Just finally bought the entire series for $50 and marathoned it with my fiance.

Felt good man, though it's weird to think that the movie series is finally coming to an end... especially considering I've been watching them ever since The Sorcerer's Stone came to theaters.

Given how much I hated the last movie I doubt I'll enjoy this one much. Especially given that they've seemed to alter the confrontation a great deal to give it that "EPIC CLIMACTIC FINAL BATTLE BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL NOW FEATURING RETARDED TOUGH GUY DIALOGUE AND COLOR CONTRASTING LASER BEAMS." Don't trust reviews at all. People just eat this shit up every movie as long as it majorly follows the books.

I’ve seen it and after reflecting on it, and indeed the entire series, I don’t think I have very much to say. There are heaps of people who have valid criticisms with both the books and especially the films. Neither are perfect. I always thought the films were mainly targeted towards the existing fanbase as opposed to reaching out to an ignorant audience. I think the films can be forgiven, then, for not always doing the books complete justice. But despite those flaws and more, I was left deeply touched by the end of it all. And that’s all that matters to me. It’s not a critique. I’m totally biased. And it’s the 9 year old child in me telling me that. It’s been a huge influence in my life. I was never encouraged to read or to write as a child, and the first Harry Potter novel was my first real exposure to any kind of literature. Because of that, I can’t help but associate writing as being something magical and wondrous. My first stories were Harry Potter fanfics. I credit my love of English and my passion for writing to those wonderful books. So yeah. I loved the film. I love the films. I love the books. I’m a hopeless and shameless supporter. And I’m very grateful for the impact it’s had on my life and many, many others. That is what, I think, will be remembered.

Given how much I hated the last movie I doubt I'll enjoy this one much. Especially given that they've seemed to alter the confrontation a great deal to give it that "EPIC CLIMACTIC FINAL BATTLE BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL NOW FEATURING RETARDED TOUGH GUY DIALOGUE AND COLOR CONTRASTING LASER BEAMS." Don't trust reviews at all. People just eat this shit up every movie as long as it majorly follows the books.

To be fair, that's kind of how it was in the book.

Amen brother.

Seeing it tomorrow.

Not terribly excited but then the movies never did all that much for me.

My girlfriend is also probably going to sob nonstop for the entire movie once people start dying. During the last one she cried for about 10 minutes after Hedwig got zapped.

I'm in the same boat as you Ennui. Going with a friend I've been crushing on to see it and she's going to be sadfaced at every death. Kinda looking forward to the movie. Haven't seen one since Sorcerer's Stone.

My girlfriend is also probably going to sob nonstop for the entire movie once people start dying. During the last one she cried for about 10 minutes after Hedwig got zapped.

We laughed out loud when that happened.

To be fair, that's kind of how it was in the book.

If I recall, and it has been a while since I read the book, from the period after Harry blacks out and sees Dumbledore to when he kills Voldemort the writing has a very calm, simple, and fatalistic feel, without much melodrama or suspense, and Harry ultimately just walks into the Great Hall and either simply killing curses Voldemort or reflects Voldemort's curse back at him. I remember being struck by how simplistic and direct the prose was and how typical and unextravegant their duel was. I loved it. Not this, oh let's yell things at each other as we throw ourselves off of buildings and shoot giant colored laser beams.

If I recall, and it has been a while since I read the book, from the period after Harry blacks out and sees Dumbledore to when he kills Voldemort the writing has a very calm, simple, and fatalistic feel, without much melodrama or suspense, and Harry ultimately just walks into the Great Hall and either simply killing curses Voldemort or reflects Voldemort's curse back at him. I remember being struck by how simplistic and direct the prose was and how typical and unextravegant their duel was. I loved it. Not this, oh let's yell things at each other as we throw ourselves off of buildings and shoot giant colored laser beams.

You're so damn right about that. The film does exactly the opposite.

Please tell me that you haven't been to see this arse scented film Samon... I think I might die a little on the inside if I hear that you have, but I also long for your concise and accurate berating of it.

I went to see it. I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to, it was probably my favorite of the films (although I've never really thought the films even begin to hold a candle to the books).

I saw it in 3d IMAX though, which I've never done before, so that might be padding my opinion somewhat.

I really liked how they treated Snape's story, would have preferred a longer Battle of Hogwarts though.

You're so damn right about that. The film does exactly the opposite.

It's definitely one of the film's problems. The worst thing about it is that they hardly say a word to each other, which I thought is what made the final chapter of the book so compelling. The film places solid enough emphasis on Lilly's protection for Harry after giving her life for him, but it fails to make the comparison with Harry's same sacrifice for all his friends at Hogwarts. I thought that was pretty poor.

Please tell me that you haven't been to see this arse scented film Samon... I think I might die a little on the inside if I hear that you have, but I also long for your concise and accurate berating of it.

I did. I got tickets to the midnight viewing with the sole intention of watching the Batman teaser and then making a big deal of walking out without watching the film. The teaser did not show, so I was left to endure the ****ing film. I came out with the "I HAD TO WATCH THE ****ING POTTER FILM CAN YOU BELIEVE IT" attitude. The berating will come sometime later today.

I think that's a fair assessment yes. On a more serious note, all of that's true except for the 'making a big deal' (mostly because the cinema was packed with legions of Potter fans, all of which sniffed and snuffled their way through the film's more emotional sequences). I wasn't interested in seeing the film. I wanted to see TDKR teaser in the cinema. That sounds barmy, but it's true. And they did not play it. I was a sad, sad twelve-year-old boy.

I had company with me too, hindering the plan. But even she was bored of the film by the end of it.

Saw it yesterday. I liked it, but I thought Part 1 was superior. I wish that we could've seen more characters during the action scenes at the Battle of Hogwarts.

As in the book, the epilogue was completely redundant.

And why had Ron and Harry aged 19 years, but not Hermonie?

Also, why was Grindelwald almost completely omitted from the films? This movie was only a little over two hours, they would've had time to include his storyline.

Back