Hat Fraud?

Planetary

Reaction score
So this guy says deleting 10 unique items in your inventory will give you instant hats. I was skeptical when I first saw it some weeks ago, and it was pretty much settled since he deletes every comment that disagrees, my own included.
But a bunch of people are saying that it does work, even after the halos came out, so any thoughts folks?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaM1SZI2D5Y

They're all trolls, chuckling at the thought that their comments will make people try it.

While I think it's very likely to be fake I have enough duplicates to be willing to test this out.

Interesting, I didn't get a hat but I did get a Cloak and Dagger. The timing was too perfect for it to be a coincidence.

dropchart-99b.jpg

This is the number of deleted items vs chance of hat dropping. At 10 unique items deleted the claim is a 60% chance of a hat, I don't have enough items any more to try this again but someone else should give it a go.

This system would actually make sense, it gives players reasons for trading weapons with each other as they build up items to try and delete-for-hats.

I'm deleting all my duplicates when I get them so naturally I'm never gonna try it.
But if there is something to it then who knows?

I have enough items to try this maybe twice. Shall I?

Cant see how it would be considered cheating so Valve don't go deleting my stuff somewhere down the line lol :p

I've got like 5 of everything... besides hats, i'll try.

EDIT: Nothing, i tried it twice, the first because i was really curious, and the second because i wanted to get rid of a lot of stuff anyway.

I have enough to go twice and I'm about to.

Didn't work either time. I guess I'll try it again with more items when I have more. It's not as if I'm not going to have to delete them later anyway.

Tried it once, nothing happened. Got a natasha a few mins later but I doubt that had anything to do with it.

lol at all the people saying it didnt worked

No thanks, this method seems random at best. I actually recommend not trying this as most of you will probably waste many items only to find another Sandvich or Backburner, which are quite less valuable than hats. We should just wait for the next big update, which will hopefully include several new ways of finding valuable items, and even creating them (I'm not sure if this is true, though).

By the way, I'm sure there's always the option of playing Team Fortress 2 normally and not worrying about finding a hat - probably the best method there is.

Actually I agree. Unless you are running out of space (like I was) I would just wait for the update that makes this (or some other system) official.

Back