HD T.V for Gaming(Ignorance).

Yeh, or HDDVD. Seeing as Blu-ray will be the standard for the foreseeable future it's worth going for.

Most Sony 1080 TVs will work fine with BD for logical reasons.

Ok atm the Sony w3000 series has come into the equation, it has the 1080/24p feature but I was wondering what exactly this is good for? F.e is it only a feature you need if you use BluRay?

From a filming point of view, 24p refers to be able to shoot a constant 24fps without any change in frame rate, meaning there is no 'lag' or bad syncing.

Yeh, or HDDVD. Seeing as Blu-ray will be the standard for the foreseeable future it's worth going for.
From a filming point of view, 24p refers to be able to shoot a constant 24fps without any change in frame rate, meaning there is no 'lag' or bad syncing.

So 1080/24p will be useful even on standard Dvds atm, I don't have Bluray or HD-DVD.

Most Sony 1080 TVs will work fine with BD for logical reasons.

BD?

So 1080/24p will be useful even on standard Dvds atm

Nope, just Blu-ray and HDDVD.

Even if you don't have a Blu-ray player I assume the you'll end up with one at some point? The only reason for getting a HD TV, other than for the tiny footprint/style, is for HD content - and games and movies look awesome. Standard definition looks better on an ancient and cheap as chips crt.

Bump.

So I'm thinking of going with this one: Samsung 40" LCD-TV LE40M87BD

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=333306

Can get it over here for just over a 1,000euro so thats about what I can afford atm.

There was a beautiful Bravia that was about 1,600 and had the true film 24p thingy but I don't think I can afford it.

I have that same samsung and love it. I highly suggest it.

Bump

So I got the Samsung LE40M87BD.

As we have analogue TV and our reception being horrible we decided(after seeing the reception and picture quality being crap on the new TV) to buy a 'dodgy box' from our neighbour.

They are basically those satellite receiver boxes that hack SKY. While we have no more crap reception the quality of the picture is pretty dreadful, its like watching youtube videos on a 40inch screen, I know ppl say standard def tv looks crap on hdtv so I guess I haveto accept it.

I'm wondering though if I bought a different connecter would it improve the picture? F.e atm the receiver box is connected to the new TV via SCART.

I then decided to try my 360 on it, I reconfigured the 360's setting to run 1080p and tried COD4, first thing I noticed was no sound(still haveto fix that).

But the jaggies were worst, the Tv's res is 1920x1080 but it didn't look too hot tbh. The 360 is connected via component HD cable btw, not VGA or HDMI, my 360 doesnt have the HDMI port. Would getting a VGA cable improve it?

Hmmm :|

It's part due to no HDMI and part due to COD4 running in 600p or something like that.

Strange .. I've got mine running at 1080i on a 26" with a 3rd party component HD cable and I've never had any problems :/

Sony or Samsung, both are made in the same factory so the quality should be equal. They are the best manufactures of TV's IMO. I own a Sony 46 inch XBR4 and I love it.

So I tried Gears of War and it looked great but I'm not sure if it was running 1080p, I set my 360 to run in 1080p mode in the 360's setting's tab.

The reason I'm not sure is the manual that comes with my Samsung says that the T.V doesnt support 1080p via component connection(only up to 1080i) - I have my 360 connected via the 360's HD AV component cable - but in the component section in the T.V's manual it says '1080p is the optimum resolution. 1080p is the maximum resolution' so I'm wondering if it does support component 1080p or is just stating this to make clear 1080p is only available with HDMI/DVI connections.

Anyway would buying a VGA cable improve the quality? Is there any other cables that are worth buying instead

Note: My 360 doesn't have the HDMI port :(

Back