Headphones Issue

ShinRa

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Just dropped a stupid amount of money on Bose headphones and I plugged them into the audio jack. I only hear audio out of the right ear. Pissed, I tried another pair of headphones, same shit. Plug it into my iphone, I hear from both as expected. Is there a setting I need to change on my computer? Is my audio device jack ****ed? Help?

If you're only hearing one channel (the right), and the computer is indeed outputting stereo, it means the tip of the jack isn't making contact in the port, for some reason. Does it seem like it's going in all the way? Is it possible there's something stuck inside the port?

And why would you buy Bose headphones.

Audio jack is likely ****ed up. We see it a lot where I work, with ipods usually but laptops sometimes too.

Ok the Bose headphones were an impulse buy. And the rest of your answers prompted me to stop trying and just bought a whole new speaker system. NO BIG DEAL

I bought logitech z506's. Theyre decent. Uhmmmmm what would you recommend instead of the bose? I can still return them.

Yeah, I got the new speakers and the Bose headphones, even with both ears working, still doesn't sound nearly as good as I expected. I guess I was expecting a world of difference from my typical headphones. Guess I'm just not an audiophile. Gonna return them. As for the speakers...havent really gotten to test them yet, but coming from a 9 year old Z-5300 system that to this day delivered movie theatre like sound, I don't think these new $90 Z506's are gonna come even close. The only thing I like so far about them is that all the speakers actually work in 5.1.

WHICH BRINGS ME TO ANOTHER QUESTION - All my speakers, even though it's considered surround sound, are in front of me. I don't have an actually surround sound set up. Do I still want a 5.1 system? Or should I just be with a 2.1 system?

Just be careful and read up on what you're buying, I got the Sennheiser HD 448 and they had plenty of good reviews but turns out they're better for classical music and REALLY ****ING lacked in the bass department. What's your budget? I just got these: http://goo.gl/F4Ry9

They're superb for anything. The only thing I'd have to ask in addition is if you want that closed back design, supposedly open backs are better for sound quality but for me, I use them mostly when there's noise around me or if I just want to listen to music more closely without sending shockwaves throughout the house. As could be said with damn near any headphone, they sound better with an amp/dac (I got this: http://goo.gl/sXZVE)

you shoulda known better being a member of this board :p
bose are nice but way overpriced.

WHICH BRINGS ME TO ANOTHER QUESTION - All my speakers, even though it's considered surround sound, are in front of me. I don't have an actually surround sound set up. Do I still want a 5.1 system? Or should I just be with a 2.1 system?

Better served by 2.1 because they're much cheaper. I'd get Harman/Kardon SoundSticks II for a 2.1 system. They're gorgeous, have a capacitive volume control, and have adjustable bass+awesome sound quality. I bought them and they've beaten all the other 2.1 systems out there hands-down. Audio-Technica has good noise-cancelling 3.5mm jack headphones that my roommate uses. They perform almost as well as Bose for a fraction of the cost as he's told me.

I'd get Harman/Kardon SoundSticks II for a 2.1 system.
I saw how well reviewed these were back when I was looking for a 2.1 system, and I couldn't accept the possibility that they really were that good, and that their unique appearance and nifty features played no role in their great score. Could they really be the best sounding in that price range? It's hard to believe.

speaking of headphones...what are you guys using currently?
I'm using ATH-A900X's from Audio Technica

Planning to buy ATH-M50s in a couple of days.
That's what I was initially looking at. Then I saw there were a number of comfort issues, and when you see the way the top is curved (flat), it's really easy to see why. Ended up with the A700x and it doesn't miss a beat.

I saw how well reviewed these were back when I was looking for a 2.1 system, and I couldn't accept the possibility that they really were that good, and that their unique appearance and nifty features played no role in their great score. Could they really be the best sounding in that price range? It's hard to believe.

They sound pretty damn good to me. Harman Kardon is known for making excellent quality speakers. I had a 2.0 setup that came packaged with an HP Pavilion that sounded great until I blew them out playing music too loud three years ago. I'd be hard-pressed to find a 2.1 system that outperforms at the price I paid.

Back