Help Get Portal 2 Released Early - OVERCLOCK HAS BEGUN, Release Incoming!

Hey, Valve Defense Force, how do you feel about this now, one day before the actual scheduled release date? Valve said if you played the games, Portal 2'd be released early. They teased with things like "4/19/2011_7AM= 4/15/2011_9AM" and "My goal is to get something else emancipated early." Then they gave you a timer and the instructions that playing the games would help move the countdown clock; except you can see from the graphs that the timer has been moving in a linear fashion despite the up-and-down swing of active CPUs. It is now currently almost 1pm on the west coast, the timer is burning through potatoes for a supposed speed boost, and yet the countdown clock reads 11 hours. 11 hours on the west coast. That's MIDNIGHT. At the current rate the game will NOT be releasing early; it will be releasing exactly on Tuesday, April 19.

DEFEND THIS.

You were told that if you participated in the ARG you would get the game early. Well, apparently there are nine people who got the game early. Oh, and the pirates got the game early. For the rest of you, the game is still on track for its posted release date.

DEFEND THIS.

Valve shoved a fist-sized potato up your collective anuses and you bent forward some more, clenched your gellatinous buttcheeks in both hands, and said, "I think there's room for another!"

DEFEND THIS.

God I love you Darkside. You are absolutely right of course. As usual.

DEFEND IT GOD DAMN!

So it was pushed back around 11 hours then?... Around midnight on the east coast?... ... ...

Hey, Valve Defense Force, how do you feel about this now, one day before the actual scheduled release date? Valve said if you played the games, Portal 2'd be released early. They teased with things like "4/19/2011_7AM= 4/15/2011_9AM" and "My goal is to get something else emancipated early." Then they gave you a timer and the instructions that playing the games would help move the countdown clock; except you can see from the graphs that the timer has been moving in a linear fashion despite the up-and-down swing of active CPUs. It is now currently almost 1pm on the west coast, the timer is burning through potatoes for a supposed speed boost, and yet the countdown clock reads 11 hours. 11 hours on the west coast. That's MIDNIGHT. At the current rate the game will NOT be releasing early; it will be releasing exactly on Tuesday, April 19.

DEFEND THIS.

You were told that if you participated in the ARG you would get the game early. Well, apparently there are nine people who got the game early. Oh, and the pirates got the game early. For the rest of you, the game is still on track for its posted release date.

DEFEND THIS.

Valve shoved a fist-sized potato up your collective anuses and you bent forward some more, clenched your gellatinous buttcheeks in both hands, and said, "I think there's room for another!"

DEFEND THIS.

After years of not posting on this forum you got me to sign back in just to call you an Idiot. You sir are a a waste of life. I will not explain why i feel this way, simply because i feel my brain is greater then yours and this is about as much attention from me you'll ever get.

Tuesday is Tuesday. For those people who have, y'know, JOBS, and were suspecting that they might get some significant playtime in, Tuesday at midnight or Tuesday at 7am makes no difference. These people won't be able to play until later in the day as it is. 7 hours makes very little difference in the overall scheme of things. And you still aren't defending "4/19/2011_7AM= 4/15/2011_9AM." I reckon it should say "4/19/2011_7AM= 4/19/2011_12AM," don't you?

Also Asuka, it's okay, I know you're buttmad that you got played and you can't defend it besides calling me an Idiot with a capital "I." Yes, please attack me and not Valve's shenanigans. That's how the Defense Force works.

DEFEND THIS.

DEFEND THIS.

DEFEND THIS.
For someone who hates seeing effort wasted, you sure like returning to this topic in an attempt to make people see a point they're indifferent to at best.

Tuesday is Tuesday. For those people who have, y'know, JOBS, and were suspecting that they might get some significant playtime in, Tuesday at midnight or Tuesday at 7am makes no difference. These people won't be able to play until later in the day as it is. 7 hours makes very little difference in the overall scheme of things.
Because people in american time zones who have JOBS (omg we're all losers for posting on an internet forumz) are the only ones in the world that matter. Quit trying to backpedal and just admit you were wrong. Are you seriously trying to say that 7 hours makes no difference because people have jobs to go to? Jesus christ darkside you're not normally one to make stretches this ridiculous.

And you still aren't defending "4/19/2011_7AM= 4/15/2011_9AM." I reckon it should say "4/19/2011_7AM= 4/19/2011_12AM," don't you?
I have no idea what this means, I was just pointing out where you were wrong.

Kupo said:
For someone who hates seeing effort wasted, you sure like returning to this topic in an attempt to make people see a point they're indifferent to at best.

I never said I hate seeing effort wasted. Not at all in this thread. I said I didn't like marketing ploys like this, and then I said effort was being wasted, and now I'm just here because I want to gauge the opinions of all those people who put so much stock and faith in Valve, and were hoping that what they were doing was going to make an ounce of difference.

Check the graphs. Look at them. What you've accomplished is nothing. I want to know how people feel about that.

I'm just returning to this thread to drink tears.

And again, you're making comments about ME instead of the situation at hand.

Vegeta said:
Because people in american time zones who have JOBS (omg we're all losers for posting on an internet forumz) are the only ones in the world that matter. Quit trying to backpedal and just admit you were wrong. Are you seriously trying to say that 7 hours makes no difference because people have jobs to go to? Jesus christ darkside you're not normally one to make stretches this ridiculous.
7 hours doesn't make a big difference. I suppose you should congratulate yourselves on a fine job releasing the game seven hours early when it's of consequence to few people...midnight in the west, 3am in the east, early morning in the EU. The vast majority of people still will not be able to play the game until later on Tuesday, so it really made no difference.

Also I wasn't insinuating anything about "losers on an internet forum"; I'm here as well, you know.

I have no idea what this means, I was just pointing out where you were wrong.
It means that the numbers that were posted in the ARG were a fool's goal. Friday, at 9am? It'll be released at midnight on Tuesday.

Darkside, when did you cross the line from sarcastic to attention-seeking?

Wow, Audiosurf took a long time to complete. It took as long as the last three games combined.

EDIT: Also, I agree with Darkside. Its lame that they tricked people into paying loads of money (collectively) on something they probably didn't want in order to get something they did want (significantly early release of Portal 2) and all those people get is 7 extra hours. Plus the only people who will get those 7 extra hours are people who either don't have to go to work in the morning, or people who will stay up anyways and go to work tired. I'm willing to bet that the people who benefit from this are a small portion of the people tricked into buying the potato sack.

And yes, they were tricked into buying it. If it werent for the ARG very few people (relative) would have bought the bundle, because as far as most of the people were concerned at the time, the games in it were a bonus at best, and a required investment at worst.

Darkside, when did you cross the line from sarcastic to attention-seeking?
Probably around the same time nearly everyone on the board decided to gobble up whatever Valve shits out without complaint, or with justifications about how it's all well and good.

7 hours doesn't make a big difference.
It certainly does. If it releases late tonight I'm definitely going to be playing, as I normally stay up that late. And that's just my timezone. In other parts of the world it could make a lot of difference for them too.

I suppose you should congratulate yourselves on a fine job releasing the game seven hours early
I'm not trying to 'congratulate' anyone, I didn't really care about the whole ARG thing and only did minimal effort just for the fun of it & bandwagon effect to help the release. If you read my earlier post in here you'd see that I'm also kind of disappointed because it seemed Valve was teasing a much earlier release. But I still think 7 hours is significant, and it may be even more than that.

Also I wasn't insinuating anything about "losers on an internet forum"; I'm here as well, you know.
I just found it ridiculous that you'd really bring up the fact that people have jobs to go to as if that is at all relevant to anything. 7 hours is 7 hours, to mimic your 'tuesday is tuesday' argument.

It is relevant, given that the vast majority of people will still be playing it at the same time if the game were released at 7am, because the game will be released at a time when most people will be asleep, resting for work or school the next day. So for a very great number of people, they did not receive the game early--the entire purpose of the ARG. 7 hours is, honestly, of very little significance to most people. It is something...I'm not going to say it isn't anything. Well, despite the fact that the graph shows it's been moving in a linear fashion despite user activity...another golden wrench scenario? Perhaps. But, overall, for most people, the ARG will have not accomplished the intended effect: being able to play Portal 2 early.

Seven hours may sound significant from the perspective of numbers themselves. (Although not greatly, especially when given the decoded teaser message) However, in the real world, it makes no difference to most people. This is why I say, "Tuesday is Tuesday."

Darkside, you seem to be unaware of a thing called timezones.

I remember when The Orange Box had its release countdown going on and was down to those final hours. I would have done any number of things if it meant it would make that counter go faster. This would have led me to play the games for every second that was available until I could switch.

Although these days I don't care about playing things the instant they're available...

No, I mentioned timezones one (two?) posts ago. According to the handy dandy Fixed Time World Clock, April 19 at 12am PDT translates into times when most people will be at work or school, or asleep: Midnight west coast. 3 am east cost. 8 am UK for you, Rimfire. It's great if you have nothing to do at this time, although I would assume there's a large majority of people in the UK who work a 9-to-5, am I not correct? So they will still be playing Portal 2 in the afternoon, the same as if it were released at 7am PDT.

You keep saying 'most people' as if they are the only ones who matter. You realize that there are a lot of gamers out there that don't have jobs, right? Or perhaps they don't have jobs that are during those times. You're starting to sound butthurt yourself. Why don't you call in sick?

You keep saying 'most people' as if they are the only ones who matter. You realize that there are a lot of gamers out there that don't have jobs, right? Or perhaps they don't have jobs that are during those times. You're starting to sound butthurt yourself. Why don't you call in sick?

So its ok to trick people into buying shit they didn't want under the guise of giving them something they do want, but then only giving it to a small portion of the people suckered into it? Totally.

So its ok to trick people into buying shit they didn't want under the guise of giving them something they do want, but then only giving it to a small portion of the people suckered into it? Totally.

People made their own choice to buy those games. I certainly wanted Portal 2 early, but I didn't spend a dime to make that happen. That was my choice.

You just completely avoided Krynn's question, but sure, pat yourself on the back.

My friend chose to go to a restaurant and pay $15 for what was advertised as a nice dinner. He got a handful of peanuts. I didn't spend a dime to get my peanuts. That was my choice.

How did they trick anyone in any way? As Vegeta said, we all made a choice as to whether or not we bought the games, and they never lied; we ARE getting the game early. And the whole 4/19/2011 thing had to do with the release of the site, not the release of Portal; it's our own faults for jumping to conclusions. We can't blame Valve for us having too high expectations.

It's not just about me, man. I was prepared for the wait--and now, I don't care about playing a ridiculously short game I already know the ending to early. I didn't care about this whole "release the game early" rigamarole when I preordered Portal 2, because I didn't know about it. Nobody at the time knew about it. However, since its announcement I've felt it was an unnecessary thing, and now it has proved to be a low thing because it didn't accomplish much.

Yes, there are gamers without jobs (get a job, slackers), or gamers who don't work during those days (I pity those people; it means you work retail or the food industry), but the standard workweek is 9-5, M-F. So, y'know. These people aren't playing the game early. THE ENTIRE PLOY WITH THE ARG WAS TO GET THE GAME RELEASED EARLY.

I mean realistically speaking if you have nothing to do, or you're up at that time when the game is released, then good for you. The seven hour pushback on the release date will be well-spent on you...

...even though the game itself isn't even seven hours long.

aI just want to put in
1. I bought Audiosurf to help out the cause. I actually enjoy Audiosurf, so I win by making Portal 2 release earlier, even if it isn't by that much, and I get a good game... I didn't really loose anything.
2. I felt pretty accomplished when I saw that Audiosurf was completed.
3. I just like it when alot of people come together to do something.
That is just my opinion. Either way Portal 2 will probably be an awesome game.
EDIT: Darkside how would you know if the game isn't even 7 hours long :0 Please explain.

How did they trick anyone in any way? As Vegeta said, we all made a choice as to whether or not we bought the games, and they never lied; we ARE getting the game early. And the whole 4/19/2011 thing had to do with the release of the site, not the release of Portal; it's our own faults for jumping to conclusions. We can't blame Valve for us having too high expectations.

The restaurant my friend went to had an image in their advertisement of a large steak, glass of wine and some fresh baked bread and a happy looking fellow standing off to the side gesturing to the table. Right under the image it says "Special: $15 dinner!"

I made fun of my friend for jumping to conclusions when he thought he was getting a steak dinner. After all, I can't blame the restaurant for him having too high of expectations.

Except of course there WAS no picture of large steak, glass of wine, fresh bread, and a happy looking fellow. :/

I may wake up early to play this by going to bed early. but I can probably only muster an hour of gameplay if that!

And again, you're making comments about ME instead of the situation at hand.
Because early release or no, I probably get to play the game in a week's time. I'm merely marvelling at your ability to give a shit.

If some guy gets served peanuts for his $15 Steak, I'm mostly concerned whether I refilled the cake box today.
I DID AND IT'S METAPHORICACAL

I made fun of my friend for jumping to conclusions when he thought he was getting a steak dinner. After all, I can't blame the restaurant for him having too high of expectations.

I'm not saying it was entirely fair of the restaurant for doing that; however, I also said, in a post some odd pages back, that this wasn't a great idea of Valve's. Having said that, I just think it's ridiculous that people get so worked up about something that wasn't promised to us; we just expected it.

Wait, if Portal 2 isn't even 7 hours long, why the **** is it 45 bucks? I was under the impression this was going to be a full-fledged deal now, given the price. The first was just this freebie packed in with TF2 and, what, Episode One?

I know there's coop as well, but I don't expect I'll ever get to touch that.

Well, Letters, you just have to trust in Valve. After all, according to them, P2 will be the greatest Singleplayer experience they've ever released! Even better than HL1! And we all know we can trust Valve on their word!

Wait, if Portal 2 isn't even 7 hours long, why the **** is it 45 bucks?

Well, Letters, you just have to trust in Valve. After all, according to them, P2 will be the greatest Singleplayer experience they've ever released! Even better than HL1! And we all know we can trust Valve on their word!

Goddamn you guys are whiners! As if this is the very first game that's seven hours long (co-op not even included) that costs $45. You guys are ridiculous.

Also, Portal 1's single-player was top-notch in my book, so I won't be surprised if this is better.

Wait, if Portal 2 isn't even 7 hours long, why the **** is it 45 bucks? I was under the impression this was going to be a full-fledged deal now, given the price. The first was just this freebie packed in with TF2 and, what, Episode One?

I know there's coop as well, but I don't expect I'll ever get to touch that.

7-10 hours based on how smart you are is probably about right for a 'modern' game.

Valve basically used our own excitement for the game to sell a bunch of other, unrelated games. This is the way I see it now.

I was hyped for the game to be released early, because if it was 1 day earlier I would have been able to play it when it released (had Monday off).

As it was, it would be released when I was at work. As it is now, I will be on my way to work.

7 hours is laughable really. I've never been so hyped for a game, and then been so disappointed before I even have the game.

I will of course play and enjoy it, but I'm not going to buy any more ****ing indie games in an attempt to get a game released earlier.

Back