Help Get Portal 2 Released Early - OVERCLOCK HAS BEGUN, Release Incoming!

Goddamn you guys are whiners! As if this is the very first game that's seven hours long (co-op not even included) that costs $45. You guys are ridiculous.
Not really, since I'm buying the game until it's down to Valve's usual $10 deal 6 months in (and that's an if even at that). I just think it's funny that people are willing to dish out loads on a side project on release day because Valve said it would be good. Hype? Why, I never!

Not really, since I'm not paying for the game until it's down to Valve's usual $10 deal 6 months in (and that's an if even at that). I just think it's funny that people are willing to dish out loads on release day because Valve said it would be good. Hype? Why, I never!

Ha! I highly doubt that people are buying this because Valve said it would be good; all companies say their own games are good. We base it on the fact that every single other game Valve has made (with the possible exception of L4D2, in my opinion) has been of excellent quality.

One well respected person on this forum who told me his interest in the game went up greatly when Valve claimed it was going to be their best SP ever.

Simply because one person does, doesn't mean anything. Or he possibly could have been sarcastic when he said that.

Because early release or no, I probably get to play the game in a week's time. I'm merely marvelling at your ability to give a shit.
This is the internet, sirrah. SOMEBODY must give a shit!

Goddamn you guys are whiners! As if this is the very first game that's seven hours long (co-op not even included) that costs $45. You guys are ridiculous.
7-10 hours based on how smart you are is probably about right for a 'modern' game.
7 hours is laughable really.
The game isn't 7 hours, guys. It's less. Substantially less. Like, a lot. There's an entire stream of a guy going through it from beginning to end and he even stops and looks at all the easter eggs and points things out to you. He does it in

3 hours 19 minutes
And he was deliberately taking his time.

The game isn't 7 hours, guys. It's less. Substantially less. Like, a lot. There's an entire stream of a guy going through it from beginning to end and he even stops and looks at all the easter eggs and points things out to you.

If he knows where all of the Easter Eggs and such are, then he's obviously played through it before. Going through it for the first time will take longer than someone who knows where every thing is and how to solve it all. Portal 1 took me about five-six hours to beat the first time; now I can go through in less than two.

But was it the best
3 hours 19 minutes
of Singleplayer Valve has ever released?

well respected person on this forum

Well respected how? It's not like people are always agreeing with me on things. Quite the opposite.

And when Valve makes a bold statement like that, I can't deny that it sparks my interest. Doesn't mean I believe them 100%, but they must have a reason for saying something that extreme. It was not the only reason I pre-ordered though. The game looks great just from the trailers.

What's your problem, Viperidea? Valve is saying that the story of a game THEY made, is better than the story of another game THEY made. They aren't saying it's the best single-player experience out there; they're comparing it to a game that they also worked on and spent time writing stories for. It sounds like you just want to bash Valve for pretty much no reason.

Uhh, it's because I don't think Valve know how to make good SP anymore. I'm not talking about story and all the associated baggage that comes with the background, but actual gameplay focus and level design. But that's a different argument altogether. Point is, Valve said x about y variables 1 through 50, and turned out to be overhyping, gratuitously overstating, or lying. Valve says z about Portal 2 and people believe them carte blanche.

And Vegeta, I measure respect around here as the frequency that people actually read someone's posts. Nobody agrees with you all the time, but at least people make an effort to understand your opinion.

If he knows where all of the Easter Eggs and such are, then he's obviously played through it before. Going through it for the first time will take longer than someone who knows where every thing is and how to solve it all. Portal 1 took me about five-six hours to beat the first time; now I can go through in less than two.

Wow it really took you that long to beat Portal 1? Or are you exaggerating?

And what gives you that idea? They haven't made a single-player game in a while that I know of. And from what I've seen and not heard, Portal 2's gameplay and level design look quite spectacular. Although I do agree with you on the fact that they do overhype and overstate things a little more frequently than they should.

Wow it really took you that long to beat Portal 1? Or are you exaggerating?

I honestly can't remember; it was a rough estimate based on variables such as things that I remember used to take me a while to figure out and the fact that I was thirteen when I played it.

:O

8hrs30mins left

Wait, if Portal 2 isn't even 7 hours long, why the **** is it 45 bucks? I was under the impression this was going to be a full-fledged deal now, given the price. The first was just this freebie packed in with TF2 and, what, Episode One?

What?? Less than 7 hours? That would be a *huge* letdown. All this waiting, and all this hype for a mini game that one can finish in two or three days? Let's hope it's not true.

Uhh, it's because I don't think Valve know how to make good SP anymore. I'm not talking about story and all the associated baggage that comes with the background, but actual gameplay focus and level design.
I respect your opinion sir and on some levels I agree with it, however I would not go as far as to say that Valve does not know how to make good SP anymore. They do good singleplayer just fine. They have, however, in recent titles lost the art of making spectacular singleplayer.

Also, it's true Paulaner. You can go watch the game in its entirety on the internet right now. All three bloody hours of it.

Also, it's true Paulaner. You can go watch the game in its entirety on the internet right now. All three bloody hours of it.

If that is true, I will surely wait for the next Christmas sale. No way I'm paying so much for such a short game.

Wow I may be able to play this tonight for about and hour or two! cool

I like how darkside is acting like somebody raped his mother. I cant think of the last time I've seen rage this consistent over something so inconsequential. We get it, you're angry at a company. A company that has no bearing on your life. Get over it.

Haha, Darkside's not even angry. I'd say his attitude is more a gloat than an outburst. You've yet to see even a fraction of his rage.

Its the constant quips I guess. "Dude I like this" "THATS BECAUSE YOU ARE STUPID!"

Uhh, it's because I don't think Valve know how to make good SP anymore. I'm not talking about story and all the associated baggage that comes with the background, but actual gameplay focus and level design.

I'm disagreeing with you so hard right now. Valve has only improved with time. The only case I could possibly see being made is a decline from HL1 to HL2, but since then it's pretty obviously been uphill. MP is a different story.

I'm loving the Potato sack and the Portal ARG. Having tons of fun playing the Indy games and watching the countdown timer. Great job Valve! I'm salivating for some Portal 2. Let's keep grabbing them spuds!

And Vegeta, I measure respect around here as the frequency that people actually read someone's posts. Nobody agrees with you all the time, but at least people make an effort to understand your opinion.
I just didn't really see how that was relevant to the point you were making.

But thanks for the ego boost anyway.

So apparently this will unlock right after I get home from watching GoT from a friends and drinking some Tenpenny Ale. Best night ever.

All thanks to Valve! Getting it unlocked at a convenient time for me means it was all worth the effort everyone else put into it! I didn't contribute really because I only did audiosurf for a few minutes since I already owned the game, but hey, that was my choice.

EDIT: Also, Viper, I got more excited about the game when Gabe said that he feels its their cleanest, most well designed ever. Does that make it two well respected people on this forum who have said that?

plz say yes i need an ego boost too ;(

Just saying. Giving an objective viewpoint for a minute, from the "in character" vantage that this ARG was GlaDOS waking up, and that the whole time, we we're under her influence and "testing procedures", this was probably the best thing she could have done to make me want to kill her. We're all test subjects. Given our responses to the situation, which of us would survive the facility?

The one's who think this is bullshit and won't give up trying to work against it, or the one's who don't give a damn?

EDIT: Also, Viper, I got more excited about the game when Gabe said that he feels its their cleanest, most well designed ever. Does that make it two well respected people on this forum who have said that? (
I must say that quote got me excited as well.

So apparently this will unlock right after I get home from watching GoT from a friends and drinking some Tenpenny Ale. Best night ever.

All thanks to Valve! Getting it unlocked at a convenient time for me means it was all worth the effort everyone else put into it! I didn't contribute really because I only did audiosurf for a few minutes since I already owned the game, but hey, that was my choice.
Please

EDIT: Also, Viper, I got more excited about the game when Gabe said that he feels its their cleanest, most well designed ever. Does that make it two well respected people on this forum who have said that?
Shut

plz say yes i need an ego boost too ;(
Up

Your attempts at mocking me don't even make sense.

I'm loving the Potato sack and the Portal ARG. Having tons of fun playing the Indy games and watching the countdown timer. Great job Valve! I'm salivating for some Portal 2. Let's keep grabbing them spuds!

Hey Gabe, how's it going?

Please

Shut

Up

Your attempts at mocking me don't even make sense.

I only intended the "that was my choice" bit to be mocking. The rest was just self-aggrandizing and then counter-self-aggrandizing.

I'm disagreeing with you so hard right now. Valve has only improved with time. The only case I could possibly see being made is a decline from HL1 to HL2, but since then it's pretty obviously been uphill. MP is a different story.
I started reading your first sentence and I was going to respond with something like, "THAT'S BECAUSE YOU ARE STUPID!" Then I read your second sentence, and it's all good.

Postcount: 1
This guy's a shill. Get out of here Valve employee!

Glad to see HL2.net still offers the same hospitality to newbies.

Back