Help me Blow $5000

Rambo

Reaction score
Ok, i have come to the conclusion that im going to build my own pc. I have 5k and i dont even know where 2 start on this.

Im 15 and i cant build a pc by myself, and i was gonna order a pre-built pc from like voodoo but i figured i could save more $$ and even get a cooler looking case.

So guys help me blow $5000.

P.S. Anyone know when Prescott (suppose to be 64bit i think) is coming out?

Thx in adv.

Originally posted by Rambo
Ok, i have come to the conclusion that im going to build my own pc. I have 5k and i dont even know where 2 start on this.

Im 15 and i cant build a pc by myself, and i was gonna order a pre-built pc from like voodoo but i figured i could save more $$ and even get a cooler looking case.

So guys help me blow $5000.

P.S. Anyone know when Prescott (suppose to be 64bit i think) is coming out?

Thx in adv.

Two prescott cores will be same socket as Pentium C's. Goto aliensware or something if you ave 5k and cant build one yourself.

what u dont know is that, i only have to take out $500 of my own $$ for this.

BTW, i dont run servers or anything

you dont need 5k for a top of the line.
I recommend a 21'' CRT monitor (flat) i dont suggest geting an LCD for gaming

get some logitech 680 speakers, an audgity 2, 9800all in wonder or a 256, 1gb of pc3200 ram, 120gb sata HDD. The prescotts are out october 27, so if you wait you can get one, and the newest radeon card. if not get a 3.2c p4.

then save the rest up for a car ;)

its really up to you, everyone has personal preferences and a plan for what kind of PC they want.

From Falcon Northwest. Beatiful Case and amazing hardware.
http://www.falcon-nw.com/images/exotix/Ocean-viper-large.jpg

ATC-110 Exotix Single Color
Enermax Whisper 550 Watt Power Supply
Microsoft Windows XP Home
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe i875P
Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHz 800
Zalman Silent P4 CPU Cooler
Corsair TwinX 1024MB 3200LL-PT (2/512mb)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB AGP 8X
Promise FastTrak TX2000 ATA/133RAID Cont
HGST 180GXP 80GB 7200RPM PATA
Toshiba 16X DVD-ROM
Plextor CDRW 48/24/48 (Black)
Creative Labs Audigy 2 PCI
Microsoft Intellimouse Optical
NEC/Mitsubishi FE- 991SB-BK 19in. CRT
Logitech Z-680 5.1 THX
Windowed Side Panel - ATC-110
Cold Cathode - Red
Silencer 80MM Case fans

Known issues with this configuration: None

System Price: $ 4,746.00

Price with UPS Ground $ 4,913.86
Price with UPS 2-Day $ 5,086.34
Price with UPS Priority Overnight $ 5,277.30
Price with UPS Alaska or Hawaii $ 5,184.90

ill prolly end up going w/ voodoo pc or falcon nw.

Yeah, im waiting for the 64bit intels

Like what they said above....save it for a car.

Originally posted by SidewinderX143

Toshiba 16X DVD-ROM
Logitech Z-680 5.1 THX
Cold Cathode - Red
Silencer 80MM Case fans

That's almost my configuration, but I got it for half the price :dozey:

How about 2 120GB Sata form Maxtor or Seagate and I would buy a Logitech MX500 instead of the intellimouse. Where's the DVD-writer? If you're gonna spend that much money at least put in one of those. A NEC 1300 perhaps...

Anyway a fine system only that price :x

Yeah, im waiting for the 64bit intels

Prescott? Those won't be out until Q1 2004. Isn't 64 bit btw...

Is the car a free extra with the Falcon box? I mean, somethings got to be sucking up all the money there...

That looks to me as a ripoff...

try alienware and get you computer for 2, 500 $

i'm not even going to start to talk about the case, it looks coool, plus has video cooling system and you can get color matching mous and keyboard...

v3_intel_top.jpg

Funny that once i RMA my corsair RAM and get mushkin lvl 2 PC3500, it iwll blow that crapplet away.

5k on a computer? wow youre gonna punch yourself in the face in a couple of years when you realize how much money you wasted. 5k really isnt necessary. id wait for the OLED monitors to come out, they look awesome.

Take $3,000 for a car, $2,000 for your computer, that will be plenty.

i agree. once u get a life your gonna want a car. spud had a good idea. however my step-dad got his rig for 1200 and its:
3.2 p IV
9800 Pro
1 gig 3200
Asus p4c800
120 gig drive
and all the other little things

he got all that at the pc fair in so cal.

great for 1200, considering people pay $2500+ for wut he got.

wow... you can ALMOST se the comp if you look at the bottom... =)

Build it yourself. I bought an Alienware for $3200 and will never do it again. It's a kickass machine, but my brother built his PC, and it was a ton of fun.

I got a 3.0C, 1024MB of ram, 2x120GB Seagate Barracudas, R9800PRO, SB Audigy 2, pretty much everything included a 19" NEC monitor for that price. To blow 5k you will have to buy excessive, stupid components, or get ripped off even worse than I did by going w/ Falcon or /laff Voodoo.

"Hi, welcome to Voodoo, we are selling painted mice for the low price of $899 today, hurry buy now!"

Toshiba 16X DVD-ROM
Logitech Z-680 5.1 THX
Cold Cathode - Red
Silencer 80MM Case fans

I'm usually all for supporting computer companies (and american businesses in general) but please don't get this, that is such a waste of money it's not funny, considering I got:

Noblesse (very good looking case, don't get it though, seems the cd-rom rack is non-standard)
Antec TruePower 430
Asus P4C800 Deluxe i875P
Intel Pentium 4 3.2GHZ 800
Zalman 7000 CU
Corsair TwinX 2048MB 3200LL-PT (4/512mb)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB AGP 8X
Maxtor 120GB Diamond Max 9 Plus SATA
Maxtor 120GB Diamond Max 9 Plus SATA
Sony DRU-510a DVD+RW/-RW

(already had keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers)

for about 2800, you'd be paying twice as much for a lesser system, I'd hate to see that. Even adding the cost of speakers, mouse, keyboard, and 22 inche monitor would only add another $1000 + or - some to the price I paid. Buy alienware or build yourself from pricegrabber.com, lian li has good cases, if you want a real cool one get one with a mirror on the front like what codegen offers. Do what you want, but you are wasting at least $1200, and doesn't voodoo pc have long waits for systems? You want it in time for half-life 2, dont ya? Now that I think of it, alienware is 3-4 weeks as well, I'd build myself, order all the parts I got plus the ones you need (skip the PATA HDs and CD-ROM/DVD-ROM combo) from pricegrabber, fastest shipping, you'll have a system within a week and a half. Oh, and get better memory than the twinx 3200, I can't overclock one stinking megahurt without raising memory timings nor does it work at advertised timings even when not overclocking..

build a darn good system for ~1000, save for car.

seriously, goto newegg.com, find parts, buy.

you'll need a case, powersupply, fans (usualy included with case) mobo, CPU, heatsink+fan, artic silver compound, gfx card, modem, LAn card, USB ports, RAM speakers (4.1 or 5.1 surround) and a monitor, mouse, keyboard.

you can EASILY get that for about a grand.

You guys dont understand damnit, i dont know how 2 build a pc.

you could just go alone with it...connecting everything where the mobo manual says, or find an internet tut. You could also take it to a shop like compusa or pcwarehouse, i dont know how much they charge though.

I would advise you not to build it yourself though, cause certain things might be too hard to do...like putting on the CPU fan/paste. Also any onboard things you dont want that you would have to disable in bios...that kinda shit.

im already confused. I think im just gonna go w/ alienware. But i dunno if i should wait till prescott or pci-express or amd64!

man, If I where you I would just go buy Alienware BEST deal.
Spend time making a MOD not a PC.

Just me though.

I reccomend building your own. http://tomshardware.com has a really good guide. I barely knew anything and i basically built my comp off this guide. I was nervous i was gonna do something wrong, but the feeling was grate when i turned it on and it worked with out exploding. I did make some mistakes but eventually i got it running. But like i said that guide there was all it took for me.

It's easy to make a PC. And any hardware you fry will still be cheaper than a $5000 computer. Most of building a computer is connecting everything. The wiring may be the hardest part, but you will just need to know what each wire is for(reading a technical magazine will be best)

Plus,the 2000 you save can be spent on alot of games. ;)

1) prescott is NOT 64 bit. precsott will be the thing to buy in Feb when prices are reduced, but if you want a computer now, go with pentium 4. Do NOT get AMD at this point unless you plan to overclock. I love AMD as much as anyone but they are seriously behind in the price/performance ratio right now.

2) I strongly recommend against AMD64. When AMD64 comes out in a few days, it will be at rediculous prices, and won't be much better than current AMD, and probably worse than the high-end intel chips. 64-bits is useless until real games/apps come out for 64 bits. There will be a version of XP for AMD 64 next year, but not much else. Also, there is a competing standard: IA-64. Until a single 64 bit standard has claimed the throne and software vendors start writing for that standard, 64-bit is pretty useless.

3) do NOT get an FX card ;) If you go with alienware, make them swap out the FX card for a Radeon 9800

how about waiting for pci-express? Any advantages in the pci extreme gaming cpu?

I dunno, I'm debating real hard right now whether to upgrade, or wait 6 months until all the big changes are out. Pentium 5, DDR-II, BTX, R420/NV40, PCI-X... so hard to decide.

save your money. $5,000 is wayyy too much for a computer. If you know you cant build a computer then goto www.ibuypower.com or some other place. Even for a alienware thats just way too expensive :x. try to save some money so you can get other stuff like a scanner , good printer , digital camera etc.

you can get a top of the line computer with anything you want right now for a little less than 2.5k... gfg, give the rest to me.

i'm pissed because i just upgraded only to hear about btx and how pci-express and ddr II are closer than i had though... :\ screwed again.

5K to buy a single PC? WOW.

Dud you can build three extrem PCs for 5K.

If you need help deciding what to be spending $5000 on, you dont need to be spending $5000. If you're gonna throw down 5k and have no clue what you're buying, do u really need it?

IMO, if you spend over $1000 on a computer, its a waste of money. Just wait a little bit longer and the prices on your current "dream" setup will drop dramatically.

Back