Help! My loading times are VERY long (1,5 minutes long) What could be wrong?!

K

Kidanski

Everytime I load a game, or when the game loads a new area, it takes a looong time. I chronometed and each load is 2 minutes long.
In game, the game runs flawlessly, Everything maxed except AA, which is 4X (granted, its in 800x600 resolution)

My Specs are:

P4 2.4 C
2x 256 Dual channeled DDR 400 RAM
Radeon 9600 PRO 128
7200 8mb cache HD

I defragd my hd today.
I have the latest patch.
I already am using -console (start up loading is only 15s :))
heapsize 256, and a lot of other tweaks, no dice, though.

Is it normal, am i not supposed to get a much quicker loading time? It really disrupts the experience :((

On a related note:
In the console, i get messages like this all the time;

Missing Close Caption Token cardboard.scraperough
Missing Close Caption Token popcan.scraperough
CSceneEntity LCS_becareful unable to find actor named "mark_boxcar_human_opendoor"

A couple thing contribute to long load times.

CPU: Slower cpu's mean your load time is going to take longer. A 2.4 ghz p4 wont load nearly as fast as a 3.4

Memory:512 mb's will increase load time conciderably. My friend has 512mb's of memory and he takes 2 times longer then me to load sometimes. Howevor he doesnt have raptors either and he only has a 2.8ghz p4 cpu.

Hard Drive: The fact that your hard drive is 7200 rpm is holding you back. What is your seek time and burst rate? It would be absolutly useless to upgrade to a raptor just to increase load time IMO, 7200 is more then enough. Also format your hard drive after every install.

Howevor if cs:s is taking two minutes to load then you have something wrong because it should only take a couple seconds. If it is having trouble finding an object try reinstalling it and see if that helps.

Run a couple hard drive bencmarks to see if you can narrow down your problem, because the problem might not have to do with your hard drive and instead cs source.

Plus your processor is a Celeron which is horrible and I think runs even slower than a Duron 1.8 GHZ in some cases

i ahve an aweimse 1.8ghz P4!!!
load times are not bad. (think 30 sec.)

Oh HL2 has a HD all for itself though.

Killing2Live said:
Plus your processor is a Celeron which is horrible and I think runs even slower than a Duron 1.8 GHZ in some cases

No, it's a Pentium 4 2.4ghzC, the C meaning it's a Northwood, the best kind of P4's, and it's actually a pretty good cpu but yeah not as quick as a 3.0 or higher might be. Ram is definitely holding you back, upgrading to Dual Channel PC3200 (DDR400) 512mb will boost loading times.

Mine is running off a SATA drive and it loads quite quickly, probably under 45 seconds. Not bad considering it's only an Athlon XP 2600+.

BTW Blackeye, you don't format after installing HL2, you defrag. Silly.

Back