Helplife2.net : New Job + Wedding = Dilemma

Dynasty

Space Core
Reaction score
Okay gang, need some varying-degrees of wisdom.

Times are hard these days for graduates, maybe more so than non-graduates, when it comes to finding a job. We have a million graduates in the UK jobless.

Ive been one of them for the past 6 months, and finally have landed a VERY decent job in the same industry with a direct competitor to my last company (yay me), who I left after sabbatical because they couldnt find anything ''appropriate'' for me on my return from overseas (working for them).

So the last thing I want to do is **ck this up, naturally.

For the TLDR in you:

But anyway, the meat of the problem; my cousin is getting married on the 11th of June, it's now 14th of May, and I have to leave on the 8th, so thats like 3 weeks (working) and a few days away...in Thailand. I'm invited and said yes 9 months ago. And I have the flights booked for about 2 months now, paid for by the rents *shrug*.

Ive been at my new job for one week now. And I'm seriously worried about the message I am making when/if I tell my new boss on monday that I have to go away in 3 weeks, for just under a week, for a wedding. Why didnt I tell him straight away on my first day? Well, I was worried, again, about the message that sent.

I'm sure my boss will say it's fine, but I dont want to be casting even a single sliver of doubt in his mind about keeping me on when my 3 month contract finishes with my recruitment agency and umbrella company (at which time I get passed on, contractually, to the company I am working for). If I tell him and he says he's fine about it, thats great, but what does that subconciously tell him about me?

Companies are scanning for ANY reason to say no to people applying as so many are doing it these days.

Also, I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to take a holiday in the first 3 months of a new position, as 3 months is the standard induction period or whatever it's called. probation period? I cant remember.

I know my cousin will understand (as she's awesome with me) if I dont go but...*sigh* shit, I dont know now.

And I wont be getting paid for the days off I take, so thats like 48, potentially 56, hours of unpaid work. That's like...over half a grand. Even if my parents tell me to refund the tickets for them if they cant get them cancelled (unlikely they will ask but anyway), I'll still be in the black.

So now I'm ***king torn, as this wouldnt have been a problem in the first place as I was supposed to still be employed when I went to the wedding, not just starting out a new job a risking its' future by going (potentially atleast), which is why I said yes to going.

And now just over 4 weeks before I'm due to go, I get a new job.

Argh!

If I decide not to go, my boss will never know about it and my family will be upset, but I keep my new job (fingers crossed of course).

If I do go, family is happy, boss may be pissed but not show it, I wont get paid in harsh times aaaaaand I may not get to keep my job after 3 months.

Should I stay or should I go?

Help me Helplife2.net. You're my only hope.

Need to mention stuff like that at the job interview... now you're stuck making a dick move either way. Personally, I'd think not going to the wedding would be the bigger dick move so I'd go.

If your relationship with your cousin is as good as you say it is, I would go to the wedding. Not worth missing out on something like that.
*Is unemployed*

I would definitely try and keep the job, depending on the relationship with the cousin.

I'd be surprised if they let you have that long. Some employers only give 7 days for your own wedding, nevermind someone elses.

I would just ask your boss what he thought about the situation.

Need to mention stuff like that at the job interview... now you're stuck making a dick move either way. Personally, I'd think not going to the wedding would be the bigger dick move so I'd go.

See, thats what I thought would be the right move.

Upon mentioning it to fellow employees (well, from my previous job) and family, it was an all unanimous erruption of ''No! Dont mention it until you land the job.''

My cousin would certainly be upset, but I know she would understand if I didnt go.

And the problem now is that I have to mention it just to find out if they would let me go, let alone be okay with it.

Heh, this is a unique situation for me.

I'd take the job, tbh. If they can't see the reason and will be selfish, thus getting angry...their fault.

Then again, I've been told I'm heartless.

I'd go for the job too, but I also miss things my cousins do. One of my cousins got engaged (last December? the year before?), and I don't even know when he's getting married or if it's already happened or what. :eek:

Having to go to a wedding is not really interview-mention-worthy in my opinion, so I can see why you didn't say it then. Anyways, crappy dilemma -- good luck.

[edit] Also if you're not actually in the wedding, I think it'd be ok unless you're like best buddies. In which case I guess it'd suck not to show up. Also, Thailand is a long way to go for a wedding. Another of my cousins (whose wedding I also missed) had his wedding in Hawaii. It was never explicitly stated, but everyone assumed they had it there specifically because they didn't want a lot of people to actually attend it.

I would ask him, but make it perfectly clear that you are fine with staying at home. You can lie and say that you will be refunded for the airplane tickets if you cancel them. That way, you can be pretty sure that he is telling you the truth if he says that's it's fine for you to leave.

These days it's definitely not a time to put your job in jeopardy... especially if you have expenses. I mean it might suck to miss it and deal with all of that, but if your cousin doesn't sympathize, then he's not a very understanding person. It would be a lot easier to explain the situation to your cousin that you've known your whole life or whatever as opposed to your boss you've known for three weeks and could probably replace the shit out of you.

Agreed with Monkey. Let the boss know your thoughts. It's obvious that it's really important to you to keep this job and that reflects well on you. On the other hand you arranged this weeks ago and it's an important family occasion. If you tell him your concerns, explain your situation then ask him how he feels, then that will probably work best, though of course you can finesse things a little, for example by claiming you're totally fine with taking the days off unpaid, and exaggerating the importance of the wedding.

I would ask him, but make it perfectly clear that you are fine with staying at home. You can lie and say that you will be refunded for the airplane tickets if you cancel them. That way, you can be pretty sure that he is telling you the truth if he says that's it's fine for you to leave.

This seems the best idea, imo.

Have your cousin invite your boss to the wedding, and tell him that its part of their religion that bosses of invitees must go.

Back