Hey gabe and co. arent even working on hl2.

kinggi

Reaction score
How much you wanna bet that hl2 has been finished for a few days now. They are just waiting for the 30th to roll by so they can release- in response to someone asking about the steam problems gabe said this:

"We're working on this 24x7. Once again we underestimated how much demand would get placed on the system this quickly."

Gabe

my guess is everyone is occuped with getting steam to work right now so they can release hl2 for download come the 30th. If there is a delay blame it on steam!

Originally posted by Letters
Let us hope that this is the case...

I mean, if everyone is SO freakin busy, why is Gabe constantly answering emails, and speaking to diffrent websites for interviews?

Seems like he has alittle time on his hands.

I think he means the Steam Team. But if Half-Life 2 is nearing completion they could be just waiting for the play testers to annouce the all clear.

According to an old article, near they end of Half-Life 1 they had to wait 1 or 2 days before they got the clear from the playtesters.

If Gabe put the same amount of work he does with food in Half-Life 2, we'd be playing it in January

man, just think, there is people out there playing HL2, right now! If any of you betatesters read this, come'on, you know you want to leak it.:dork:

Originally posted by Feath
I think he means the Steam Team. But if Half-Life 2 is nearing completion they could be just waiting for the play testers to annouce the all clear.

According to an old article, near they end of Half-Life 1 they had to wait 1 or 2 days before they got the clear from the playtesters.

Nice, and I read your February Theory... Very Interesting indeed. I mean, its very possible that happened. But anyway, keep up the good thinking, cuz I know I cant lol.

"you guys didn't even realize that it's been april 1st all these months.. you've all been drugged and tricked AHAHAHAA HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY BITCHES"

- Gabe Newell, Sept. 30th 2003, While being dragged away to a mental hospital.

Originally posted by worldspawn
"you guys didn't even realize that it's been april 1st all these months.. you've all been drugged and tricked AHAHAHAA HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY BITCHES"

Haha, that was great...

yes if anything the programers are sitting back playing the game, multiplayer for fun, the playtesters are playing looking for bugs, and if they find one the programers will work on that.

It's been dusted for ages now, all this ho ha is just hype and publicity. Look at us all straining to see every scrap of info...we're fools. I reckon it was in final playtesting the week it was announced. These last few months have been to set up steam and finish all the business side of the game.

The game must have been mostly done for many months. Valve has taken the time, and they can afford it. Also (as a programmer myself) the coders probably don't get much satisfaction from playing their own game. They can play it backwards and forwards in their heads, plus playtesting makes you want to tweak it here, alter this a bit there... etc. They set themselves goals and they meet them. All the work now is going into the delivery system and release of the game, plus steam maintenance.

Originally posted by Deadline
I mean, if everyone is SO freakin busy, why is Gabe constantly answering emails, and speaking to diffrent websites for interviews?

Seems like he has alittle time on his hands.

He is the PR guy. Not a programmer.

Originally posted by worldspawn

On a related story, thousands of gamers around the world fell victim to mysterious heart attacks. More details at eleven.

He is the PR guy. Not a programmer.

HA! He might answer questions but he’s hardly a PR guy. He is the millionaire genius owner/founder, an amazing software engineer, and in addition he is also a freaking beast. Before you say that I’m wrong, consider this, no I’m not.

Originally posted by SirMcNugget
HA! He might answer questions but he’s hardly a PR guy. He is the millionaire genius owner/founder, an amazing software engineer, and in addition he is also a freaking beast. Before you say that I’m wrong, consider this, no I’m not.

And that's why he can answer all of the technical questions. I'd imagine normally a CEO would just go "Wha?" if you asked him some of the questions that have been asked in the Valve Info thread.

reall, think of how sucky it must be to be a playtester. i would hate it, the whole game would be so mundane by now, they could never go through it finished experiencing new things and suprises. they dont ever get the credit they deserve, i would never playtest a game i was really looking foreward to. id playtest halo, never hl2

Lombardi is the Marketing pimp, while Newell is one of the founders, and is no doubt one of the designers and without a doubt, a type of manager or representitive in the cabal meetings.

heads of the different groups (art, audio, level design, programmers, etc) have a meeting= cabal

Originally posted by Deadline

because the media is requesting it? and since Valve hasn't really given too much information on the game, be it MP or SP, Gabe and company have to try and make it up them through other means..

just cause Gabe does interviews does not mean hes not a busy man.. when ur part of a big corporation and such and about to release a game that everyone and their grandmother is anticipating, then obviously ur going to get requests for interviews.. surely Gabe won't do every interview asked as im sure he has a busy schedule, but not that HL2 needs hype, just that we want to know things about the game

this is Valve's way of talking about the game without releasing too much info on it.

Gabe does some programming, but he's not the key key person would be doing the major programming in crunch time. Regardless, they would NOT sit on the game if it was done. The reality is, with any game, it's never done. There is always more playtesting and refining that you can do. After taknig a break, they will without a doubt come back after the release to patch any bugs that crop up.

Originally posted by Apos
Gabe does some programming, but he's not the key key person would be doing the major programming in crunch time. Regardless, they would NOT sit on the game if it was done. The reality is, with any game, it's never done. There is always more playtesting and refining that you can do. After taknig a break, they will without a doubt come back after the release to patch any bugs that crop up.

Infinite!

Originally posted by Apos

Amen brutha...

For me, as a programmer myself, I never really want to "finish" my programs. I'll be almost done with it, and i'll just want to keep adding features and fixing things and making it super-good. Maybe I'm just crazy...any other coders feel the same?

-Syko

Originally posted by Syko
For me, as a programmer myself, I never really want to "finish" my programs. I'll be almost done with it, and i'll just want to keep adding features and fixing things and making it super-good. Maybe I'm just crazy...any other coders feel the same?

-Syko

Well, I've only made a Space Invaders clone but yeah, I can feel the same way. I also know a number of progammers who say the same thing.

Originally posted by TheOriginalEvil
.... lol..........................................does that make him not able to be the PR guy?

you are correct, get your facts straigt.

You know, it's worth mentioning there that Half-Life went gold 6 days late.

you mean 6 days late from its release date? Or its expected announcement of it going gold?

Originally posted by Goombatommy
you mean 6 days late from its release date? Or its expected announcement of it going gold?

The expected announcement of going gold.

oOo I see....hell, the first time I ever heard about or seen Half Life, was when I first took it out of the tote while working at Staples one day, took it home same day. Was the first on my block to own it w00t.

Gabe:Valve::Moleyneaux:Lionhead::Miyamoto:Nintendo
they're all the lead programmer/owner/gaming god/designer guys...

except shiggy doesn't own nintendo...but he should...:D

Back