History repeats itself

derby

Reaction score
Id software come out with their highly anticipated new release after doom II. The game is called Quake and features a technologically advanvced graphics engine. They licence this engine to Valve who then precede to make improvements and release Half-life which turns out to be be a vastly superior game in terms of the single player experience and amazing longevity on the multiplayer scene.

What if...

Someone licences source engine and does the same to Valve? I'm not saying it will happen, only that it would be really ironic. Perhaps the moral of the story is to let someone else do the hard work creating the engine...

Right, what is gona happen is people would buy Source engine and make Quake 4..weee baby

I think that would be great. More great games means more enjoyment for the consumer, as well as increased competition from game companies. iD software is still doing great; I doubt valve would be in trouble if someone made a great product using the source engine.

Quake 4, if they'll make one, will probably be using the Doom III engine.

Valve has already licenced the engine to Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. It's an FPS\RPG that is supposed to be out next spring or summer. Anyway it makes pretty good use of the engine from what I saw at E3 and the chicks at their booth would whip you and bite your neck.

Back