Hl 2 via steam.

Reaction score
Ive heard that Hl2 will be able to be downloaded through steam. This is old new to most of you. However i have one question. What is the point? Unless im mistaken which i could very well be. Dont you have to pay for the privalage to use steam and then have to pay again to download games?

I dont really know how the whole thing works so dont just burn me for posting this.

'buying' Half-Life² via steam will just mean that you don't have to go to the shop for it.

but, it will also mean that you have to download 2-3 CD's, so it will probably take a while...

Valve also gets a larger percentage of what you pay via steam, since it cuts out physical distribution channels.

Id rather buy it, Downloading hru steam will allow for warez kiddies to get it the day its out when they share it on Kazaa or something.

Ok then.

Im sure that eventually downloading games (legaly) will become more popular but untill the technology has been refined a bit more im gonna stick to going to the shop.

Steam supposedly has anti-piracy built-in. Since it assumes customers have broadband connections that may mean checking with Steam for valid licensing.

Steam supposedly has anti-piracy built-in. Since it assumes customers have broadband connections that may mean checking with Steam for valid licensing.

...which'll be disabled on the day of release, if not beforehand, by some warez team. No measures like this have ever succeeded before, nor will they now.

If you want to play online you'll need to buy it but i dont think it'll stop those lan guys.

imho - I dont think making hl2 available via steam is a good idea.

Now dont hold me to this, but im sure I read in an article that there is more to the steam thing than just downloading the game in its entirety. I'm sure I remember reading that you infact only download the majority of the game but a few key multiplayer bits are left on the steam system meaning your game must log into steam inorder to play online, thus meaning if you dont have a legitimate copy and key code then you cant log into steam and as such cant play the game online.

As I said im not 100% sure about this, as soon as I remember where i read it i'll be sure to post a link or type out the article. Either way ^_^

What I meant was... Limited Edition box is another reason to get HL2 in-store.

i dont get that download through steam stuff, do i download the game and then burn it, or do i download, then install? Well if my computer would crash do i have to pay for HL2 again and then download it again?

Originally posted by h00dlum
i dont get that download through steam stuff, do i download the game and then burn it, or do i download, then install? Well if my computer would crash do i have to pay for HL2 again and then download it again?

I think you download it like you were to download a pirated game. Only this one wont need cd check i think. And i think they would give you some sort of authentication key before you start dling so if it gets cancelled you just give them the key again and you can start dling again.

I also think it's a silly idea. How many people are so lazy that they can't go to a store and buy the game?

Also, I think this is a step back for the ESRB. When games are available for download off the internet, it takes some control away from the parent of a child who is playing these games. I'm not saying there is no way for the parent to know what their child is playing, but the lazier ones of the bunch don't have any store associate to ask.

Also, what if your computer explodes/hard drive gets erased/whatever....you're pretty much screwed unless you burned a backup copy...

Finally, I agree that I would much rather have the box/case/booklet etc...I keep all my game boxes!

Originally posted by Massif
...When games are available for download off the internet, it takes some control away from the parent of a child who is playing these games. I'm not saying there is no way for the parent to know what their child is playing, but the lazier ones of the bunch don't have any store associate to ask. ...

Actually it makes it easier for parents to control what there children see since if you buy it online you are forced to pay with a credit card, at the store you can buy with cash.

Originally posted by Massif
I also think it's a silly idea. How many people are so lazy that they can't go to a store and buy the game?

Also, I think this is a step back for the ESRB. When games are available for download off the internet, it takes some control away from the parent of a child who is playing these games. I'm not saying there is no way for the parent to know what their child is playing, but the lazier ones of the bunch don't have any store associate to ask.

Also, what if your computer explodes/hard drive gets erased/whatever....you're pretty much screwed unless you burned a backup copy...

Finally, I agree that I would much rather have the box/case/booklet etc...I keep all my game boxes!
complaining to store employees doesn't help the world.. and i think the steam version might be a little bit cheaper then the physical store-bought version.

Back