hl2-docks.exe movie in gcache.gcf (Pic!)

the file was there BEFORE I downloaded the G-man movie.
I have viewed the file before (wondered why it was 409meg big)

the file size is still the same

25kb/s isnt very much. Steam definitley did not download a 400MB file but it did download something around 14MB in my case. I have no idea what it is.

You can extract things from the cache files (as long as they are there) Some guy did it. He made a program that targeted the wac files in the gcache and exracted them all. Hes the guy that extracted the new cs maps and released the for download.

Why is it so hard for some people to comprehend that you can generate a 400Meg file without downloading it?

the cs folder, hl folder, and hl movies all have the same size file

sooooo?

What are u gus gonna do now? say there is a movie/ore something else in it...Are u guys just gonna wait here? com on action action hack the file, but do something. :flame:

It's a compressed folder. Exactly like a .pak file or a .zip file. And yes it is exactly the same size but the contents are different.

The file is CACHE file...

It has reserved space for the media on the HD.

We _know_ we downloaded one movie...but why is half of the file filled with info and the other half with zeros (aka nothing...placeholder)

As someone said in IRC, "Well _something_ fishy is going on here." Might be....might not...

Originally posted by Chris_D
It's a compressed folder. Exactly like a .pak file or a .zip file. And yes it is exactly the same size but the contents are different.

My guess is that its a uncompressed file like TAR or PAK.

You dont need to download the whole 400meg file. The program does that after the first download. I have program that can make 50gig files in a matter of a second (or less).

Originally posted by Majestic XII
As someone said in IRC, "Well _something_ fishy is going on here." Might be....might not...
That's Mr. Someone to you! :p

Whatever's going on, It's still odd how there's that line in the cache file about the docks movie

BTW, im not a big fan of the movies...i like the game not stupid movies...im only into my h4xx0ring mood :)

its probably just a damn bug :-D steam is creating useless files...hehe

steam is ripping us :( no movie yesterday no movie today and thay told us thay would release.
its time to hack some steam database :D

That line, might just only mean for the program to be able to find the file to open it. Or tell steam where to put the file once its done downloading.

From the last page of the link:
eAi
Op

Extracting
Basically, I haven't found a rock solid way to extract files. The easiest way is to open the file in a hex editor, then find what the header for the file is, and extract it as that. I can't tell you what the header for a model file is but try looking at the top of some model files you do have in a hex editor, and then search for the first few characters in the gcache file and then guess where it ends (in gcaches theres normally a large space filled with ascii 0s)

Try that...

eAi

There must b a way to hax steam...
*thinking might need help*

see this would be the perfect come back.... they want to lie to us we just steal what we have... its a slap in the face and fun

ok let me clear it up for you "i feel lied to" happy? metals will be givin out at the front door. leave now

Mountain Man, believe me, if they will lie to us, you won't notice it. ;)

the gcf file is also used as a gameshark file for gameboy
http://www.kkwow.com/gcfedit/#download
I'm gonna dl the editor there and see if anything comes up, which I doubt
*edit* the link for the dl doesn't work for me, someone else give it a go

Originally posted by Sushi
the gcf file is also used as a gameshark file for gameboy
http://www.kkwow.com/gcfedit/#download
I'm gonna dl the editor there and see if anything comes up, which I doubt
*edit* the link for the dl doesn't work for me, someone else give it a go

90% sure it wont be the same thing. Just cos something has got the same extension doesnt mean its teh same thing. Unfortunately. :dozey:

CMon crack it already i wanna seeeeeeeeee........................sorry i cant help all i know how to do is turn on the computer......thats about it

its truly is my birthday so it would make a nice present

some other interesting references i found in there:

001F5F40 - "Paint Shop Pro"
00279AA0 - " "Media" {"1" {"Name" "G-Man" "Type" "Video" "File" "media/movies/HL2-G-Man.exe" } }
02BDA80 - "media\movies\HL2-G-Man.exe..media\movies\HL2-Docks.exe"

this is about it. seems like the only movies mentioned are G-Man and the docks. that problably simply means the next movie were getting is the docks, and i highly doubt its in that file...

Are they going to release one today? since they didnt yesterday

hey poison spider open my gift, its anti flaming spray use it now. kthx

Originally posted by poisonspider098
Are they going to release one today? since they didnt yesterday
Who know? But Im gonna try to not get my hopes too high.

ha ha ha .........why am i laughing cause that was stupid...

someone on IRC says we will get the movies at 7EST tonight

Back